PDA

View Full Version : Advice for newbie & his miata

Revearl
12-18-2006, 09:38 AM
My first post on AG! Whoo-hoooIm the MANI've been reading the articles, reviews and postsing on the forums, have bought a $100 GC (25% off, what a deal!) and can hardly wait til Christmas when I'm hoping for a DA polisher.

But to tell the truth I get a little confused reading so many reviews and opinions. What I have is a 2004 Classic Red Miata (love it) which is my daily driver. Dusty backroads, gritty interstates, mud, snow, sleet, heat, you name it I drive in it sometime during the year.

So I don't expect to keep Red in show car condition, but I do like a nice shine, am willing to use some elbow grease, and would very much like to get rid of those gol-dern SWIRLS!

He gets a bath pretty much every week as well as an interior dusting; waxing every couple of months. I've been using Meg's NXT wash, 3m Show Car paste wax or Meg's Gold Class wax.

Given all this, on what do you suggest I start spending my gift certificates?

Thanks very much for a great website!

Earl

supercharged
12-18-2006, 10:04 AM
Welcome to the forum! You will need a polisher to get rid of swirls. Some pads (Lake Country or Edge 2000) and some good swirl remover (Pinnacle XMT or Poorboy's SSR).
Good luck.

Revearl
12-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Wow, one response! Anybody else have any suggestions as to how to spend my $?

Surfer
12-19-2006, 06:39 PM
Edge2K kit, and some Optimum Compound and Optimum Polish along with a Schmitt for washing. Maybe even some Collinite 845 as it beads water off like crazy and self cleans when sprayed or when it rains etc, I would use it over your current waxes instead (looks top notch as well).

JSR
12-19-2006, 07:26 PM
bare minimums witha DA:
LC pads, orange and black
car wash, the Megs products, NXT & Gold, seem OK
something decent to wash with, I have a MF bone (OK) others like the scmidt or a mitt, that where a lot of the swirls come from
something really decent to dry with, have not tried a guzzler but people swear by it, thats where the rest of the swirls come from
Good compound and polish, Optimum or XMT
wax/sealant - dealers choice, I am a $ouveran/Kla$$e junkie so I have no experience with others. Just tried MaxWax on someone elses car, nice
QD - I just tried the ClearKote Quikspray AG sent me, very very nice
get good with what you buy, then try others
patience and practice, lots and lots

Truls
12-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Got the Duragloss 101 and 105 waiting for my car, im topping that with Liquid souveran. (Aquawax #951 on its way) The DG gets good feedback from quite a few members here at AGF

Swirls: i got the XMT series (not tryed yet) and Megs #82 or #83

Almost empty for the NXT wash, and im buying Duragloss #901 next, after i have read that the NXT is kinda harsh on the finish, something i have noticed, but i didnt know that it was the NXT that did it. If you use the NXT wash, get the ClearKote QuikShine!!! that after the wash with the NXT, gives the SHINE right back to your RED car (i love it)

ShMiTT is a "must" (white/yellow and black)
Guzzler a "must" too

And keep hoping for that DA polisher for christmas, that makes it even more fun to detail your car(s) its like a drug..........

keep reading and keep buying, your girlfriends whining but the car is shining

AG rocks (ShMiTT too)

Reddwarf
12-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Look at the kits, they are great values. I bought the Poorboy's kit (http://www.autogeek.net/popoprkit.html) and have been very happy with it. I would also suggest considering the DP kit (http://www.autogeek.net/popoprkit.html). If you are not going to by the PC, then you might consider an XMT bundle (http://www.autogeek.net/xmt.html).

I love the Miata's by the way. Very fun cars.

Sevenrd
12-20-2006, 12:09 AM
Ah, I've owned a Miata or two (or three). I miss how quick and easy full details were on that small car!

As Reddwarf suggested, one of the kits would be a good starting point.

Kelso
12-20-2006, 12:22 AM
there is so much stuff on this site... to be completely honest, i think a few thousand dollars have gone missing from my bank account on this site!
the shmitt is good for washing, guzzler is good too, the free gift has converted me, i will be buying another one! it is a great drying towel.
i recommend the XMT polishes and edge 2000 pad kit for your DA polisher. also the xmt pad care products(cleaner especially)
paste wax, id probably say DP's MaxWax. great stuff for the money

nick19
12-20-2006, 02:12 AM
Wow, one response! Anybody else have any suggestions as to how to spend my $?
Pictures would be nice. If we have a visual of what we're working with, we can give you some more advice. Assuming you have average swirls, anything recommend will work. I would take a look at XMT and ClearKote products too. Are you trying to "hide" or remove these swirls. Temporarily filling them in, is much easier to do, but they will reappear after a few washes.

Revearl
12-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Hey this is helpful. We got a package today from AG, looks suspicously DA sized, but will have to wait til Christmas to see what's in it. I'm eager to take up some of your recs and see how they do.

I've driven a Miata since '97 and it is, without doubt, the most fun car I've owned. And yes, the square footage of metal is so small, detailing it takes little time.

Thanks guys - this really is a fine website.

Earl

Surfer
12-20-2006, 10:00 PM
While your at it, swap in a 347:righton: . Shop down here will stick V8's in the Miata. 1st time I heard one I thought some muscle car was pulling up, a red Miata pulls up instead and I just kinda stared with a perplexed look on my face lol.

Reddwarf
12-20-2006, 10:05 PM
If you want to see some really cool things you can do to a Miata check this site out: http://www.simpsondesign.net/Default.htm
He is a good friend of mine and he has fantastic designs for Miatas.

Oh, and when you buy the polish, sealant ot wax from AG, pick up a bottle of Clearkote Quickshine! Awesome stuff.