PDA

View Full Version : Hydrotech pads sticking? Loving PFW!!

D_Nyholm
01-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Just making some general observations about two pads that i've used this weekend on a detail. It is a 2001 Chevy Impala in a metallic green color. The car has never seen a polisher and hardly gets waxed or washed. I started with the rotary/Purple Foamed Wool/SIP and was able to get 95% of the damage out with 2 passes. I REALLY LOVE THE PURPLE FOAMED WOOL! It was super smooth, easy to control, and finished down great. It was a little messy, but I think it was worth it for the cut and finish. I used a mildly agressive second step, but I am not even certain I needed it!! Seemed like i could have gone straight to a finishing polish/pad combo and have been done with it!! I do think that the color and type of paint really helped in that regard, but I was happy nonetheless.:xyxthumbs::props: The only problem that I had is one of the pads wool backing came off halfway when i was removing it from the backing plate. This is after its second use!! I ised 4 pads on the car and none of the others had that problem (2 used one before annd 2 brand new). I hope this is just a defect of one of the pads and not a common occurance since i really like these pads!

I then followed up with a rotary/cyan Hydrotech/SIP and noticed that the pad was sticking to the paint much more than I am used to with my CCS pads. This is the first time i've used these pads, so I wasn't sure what to expect but the performance was nowhere near what everyone has been touting. I'm not sure if there is something that I was doing wrong, but I was not impressed. Granted it was 40* in the garage so that may have had a factor but I used the rotary/orange CCS/SIP and had none of the problems that I had with the Hydrotech. The cut may not have been as much (debatable), but the ease of use easily made up for it. I am going to give them another shot later on but I am happy I only purchased 3 of them to try out and didn't get a bunnch and in my mind, waste money.

Feed back please

Spicy McHaggis
01-24-2011, 10:30 AM
I would bet that temperature had something to do with it. It's hard for the polishes to work in that low temp. As far as the backing coming off I would hope that's just a bad batch since I have a ton of HT's and not one backing has come off...yet. I would contact AG and they should be able to take care of it for you.

As far as sticking I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying the pad was stuck to the paint? Or that it was just grabby and didn't glide over the paint smoothly? Either way I would again go back to the temperature. I have been using the HT's since they were released and never had a problem like this. Like anything I doubt they could possibly live up to the hype, but IMO they are some of the best pads that have come out in a long time. The cyan has great cut and finish, the tangerine is one of my favorite finishing polish pads, and the crimson does a good job since it doesn't absorb as much product as some other pads I’ve used to apply sealant.

rwright
01-24-2011, 10:48 AM
What machine were you using and at what speed? (both pads)

Sent using Tapatalk

D_Nyholm
01-24-2011, 11:21 AM
I was using a makita between 1200 and 1500 rpm. When i refer to sticking, i mean that they were skipping across the paint and walking a decent amount. Had to put muscle into it as opposed to the CCS's just needing guidance to control them. I'll wait for it to get a little warmer before I make a final judgement, but the CCS's weren't giving me problems like the HT were. Oh well i guess :(

Spicy McHaggis
01-24-2011, 12:28 PM
I was using a makita between 1200 and 1500 rpm. When i refer to sticking, i mean that they were skipping across the paint and walking a decent amount. Had to put muscle into it as opposed to the CCS's just needing guidance to control them. I'll wait for it to get a little warmer before I make a final judgement, but the CCS's weren't giving me problems like the HT were. Oh well i guess :(
Ok I understand. Unfortunatly I've never had that happen to me so I can't really comment any further. Hopefully you can still get that problem with the backing taken care of though! :dblthumb2:

Lasthope05
01-24-2011, 01:02 PM

Thats called buffer hop. Can happen for a number of different reasons. The polish gumed up, paint was sticky, humidity, not enough polish(lubrication), or not cleaning/removing enough spent polish. Give them a try again and use both the HT and normal pads. Also, Menz polishes are sensitive to low and high temps however, I've not had as many problems with low temps with menz as I do with high temps.