PDA

View Full Version : New FJ Cruiser Detailing Help

Pages : [1] 2

jreedar
12-18-2006, 09:13 AM
I'd like to say great forum, I've been reading a lot over the last couple days and have a few questions before I make my first purchase. I'm getting a silver FJ Cruiser in two days and in preperation wanted get my purchase list ready. I'd like to know peoples thoughts on what I've picked out to start with and also I was wondering what's the best choice of wax is for my paint color? I've looked at the Pinnacle - Wolfgang Souveran Kit, but the wax is said to be best for black and red cars. Also what's the thought on using a clay bar on a car straight off the delivery truck? I was wondering if the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer woud be sufficient to start with on the first day?

Here's my initial list:

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Concours Kit
The Ultimate Guzzler
303 Aerospace Protectant
DP Interior Surface Protectant
Wolfgang Clay Combo
Wolfgang Tire & Wheel Cleaner
Cobra Microfiber Wash Mitt
?? wax ??
Thanks for any advice and insight and please point out anything I've left out.

Neal Reed

Russecu
12-18-2006, 09:35 AM
I'd like to say great forum, I've been reading a lot over the last couple days and have a few questions before I make my first purchase. I'm getting a silver FJ Cruiser in two days and in preperation wanted get my purchase list ready. I'd like to know peoples thoughts on what I've picked out to start with and also I was wondering what's the best choice of wax is for my paint color? I've looked at the Pinnacle - Wolfgang Souveran Kit, but the wax is said to be best for black and red cars. Also what's the thought on using a clay bar on a car straight off the delivery truck? I was wondering if the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer woud be sufficient to start with on the first day?

Here's my initial list:

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Concours Kit I would recommend 4*UPP for sealing Silver makes it pop and you can get a cleaner too
The Ultimate Guzzler A must
303 Aerospace Protectant Sounds good
DP Interior Surface Protectant You could use 303 for this too
Wolfgang Clay Combo Good I would clay after delivery with the least aggressive clay to get rail contaminants off
Wolfgang Tire & Wheel Cleaner Good or DP wheel cleaner
Cobra Microfiber Wash Mitt You could use this but I would get the schmitt combo (wash schmitt and wheel schmitt)
?? wax ?? MaxWax or Pinnacle Sign. Series II or Natty's
Duragloss Car WashThanks for any advice and insight and please point out anything I've left out.

Neal Reed

I will see if I can get a pic up for you of 4* UPP on silver later today

Excessive Detail
12-18-2006, 09:36 AM
Looks like a pretty good setup to me, I would definitly clay and use a prewax cleaner or light polish, you never know how long that thing sat out on the lot. I've never used WG prewax cleaner, but I here its good, it will help clean any stains or watermarks in the paint. WG is a very nice wax, they say it looks good on darker colors, but I have a white car and I was amazed how good it looked the first time I used WG Sealant. Do you have any paste waxes, a good paste over WG would really make the paint pop. Do you have a da, cause your gonna need one to make the prewax cleaner work. I would also say get a edge shmitt instead of the mf wash mitt, a lot safer and basically prevents swirls, depending on your wash technique. Other than that everything else seems good.

supercharged
12-18-2006, 10:06 AM

Here's my initial list:

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Concours Kit
The Ultimate Guzzler
303 Aerospace Protectant
DP Interior Surface Protectant
Wolfgang Clay Combo
Wolfgang Tire & Wheel Cleaner
Cobra Microfiber Wash Mitt
?? wax ??Thanks for any advice and insight and please point out anything I've left out.

Neal Reed

For you paint color, as for any pait color I highly recommend DP Max Wax if you like paste (very easy like butter application), or Pinnacle Liquid Souveran if you like liquid. Tire and wheel cleaner I like DP for it's price.

Surfer
12-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Pics of FJ! Love that truck and how they still offer a manual trans:D

jreedar
12-18-2006, 10:29 AM
Russecu,
Just the information I was looking for, I'll definily go with the 4* UPP and other suggestions.

I will see if I can get a pic up for you of 4* UPP on silver later today

Look forward to seeing pic on silver, thanks again.

Russecu
12-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Here you go! I knew I had posted it before.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showpost.php?p=34046&postcount=14

jreedar
12-18-2006, 10:36 AM
I would definitly clay and use a prewax cleaner or light polish, you never know how long that thing sat out on the lot.

It's actually coming straight to me off the delivery truck at the dealer, but it has been on a boat for a few weeks coming into California, then on a train to Houston and then on carrier truck so even though it won't be on the lot sitting it's still be been in the elements. Given that do you think clay bar is needed or just a prewax cleaner?

Do you have a da, cause your gonna need one to make the prewax cleaner work.

Excuse me or not knowing but what is a 'da'?

jreedar
12-18-2006, 10:38 AM
For you paint color, as for any pait color I highly recommend DP Max Wax if you like paste (very easy like butter application), or Pinnacle Liquid Souveran if you like liquid. Tire and wheel cleaner I like DP for it's price.

Thanks for the info. I'll be going with the Max Wax, I like the paste and definitely the DP tire and wheel cleaner for the price. I really appreciate eveyone's replies and information.

jreedar
12-18-2006, 10:41 AM
Here you go! I knew I had posted it before.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showpost.php?p=34046&postcount=14
Thanks I agree that looks great on silver.

jreedar
12-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Pics of FJ! Love that truck and how they still offer a manual trans:D

I'll post them as soon as I get it and get it cleaned up!

Russecu
12-18-2006, 10:46 AM
"da" is Dual-Action Polisher= PC= Porter Cable Highly Recommened and AG has nice kits.

jreedar
12-18-2006, 11:58 AM
"da" is Dual-Action Polisher= PC= Porter Cable Highly Recommened and AG has nice kits.

Thanks Russecu for the explanation. I think base on everyones comments I know what to get I just have one last question, there seem to be a few spray on products that can be used between waxes for touch up and maintenance is there one you recommend over the others?

Here's what I was looking at: Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant, Four Star Gloss Enhancer Detail Spray, or DP Final Gloss Booster Spray Wax.

noname5
12-18-2006, 02:28 PM
First, congrats on your new FJ. I really like them, especially the one with the six speed! :)

Secondly, it all looks good, but it is essential that you clay the entire vehicle. I purchased my Scion tC before it was even in the country. I picked it up the same morning it was unloaded from the delivery truck. I clayed, and picked up quite a few contaminants.

I am very adamant that all new vehicles should always be washed and clayed as a first step. No matter how new the vehicle might be, it will still be in need of a good claying!

good luck :)

Truls
12-18-2006, 03:45 PM
Got to get the ShMiTT. for the car, and one for the wheels..