PDA

View Full Version : What else can lube clay?

Pages : [1] 2

jimmyjam
01-24-2011, 05:53 AM
I have an interesting question that can/will help out a lot of people stuck in a situation. If I have a detail and no stores are open, what could I use as a clay bar lubricant (outside a dedicated lube) IE Poorboy's Spray n Wipe, ONR, Megs Quick detailer etc...

Feed back please

sohail99
01-24-2011, 06:00 AM
I'd use ONR or any QD that I have! Some use car wash soap in a spray bottle!

But I noticed that it caused the clay to fall apart!(so I now stick to QDs and ONR)

jimmyjam
01-24-2011, 06:07 AM
I'd use ONR or any QD that I have! Some use car wash soap in a spray bottle!

But I noticed that it caused the clay to fall apart!(so I now stick to QDs and ONR)

Optimum QD is really slick, it didn't let the DP clay bite to much into the paint. I might of had to much concentrate....

Flash Gordon
01-24-2011, 06:24 AM
Straight water works better then anything...try it sometime

sohail99
01-24-2011, 06:26 AM
^Whoa! Seriously?? :eek:
No marring, nothing?

I'm gonna try that asap!!!

------------------------------------------------------

IMO, ONR is the best clay lube as you can get a concentrated soln. at an amazing price and dilute it to make QD, clay lube etc.!

Best VFM!

(same with other rinsless wash concentrates!)

Dunno whether opti-clean or ultima waterless wash can be used as a clay lube or not!?

Flash Gordon
01-24-2011, 06:32 AM
^Whoa! Seriously?? :eek:
No marring, nothing?

I'm gonna try that asap!!!

IMO, ONR is the best clay lube as you can get a concentrated soln. at an amazing price and dilute it to make QD, clay lube etc.!

Best VFM!

(same with other rinsless wash concentrates!)

Dunno whether opti-clean or ultima waterless wash can be used as a clay lube or not!?

Not anymore then normal (marring) Water provides a better grip removing contaminents IMO. Try it and report back your findings

forrest@mothers
01-24-2011, 08:41 AM
Our experience has been that water doesn't have enough lubricity to allow the clay to glide over the surface.

You end up with clay "skid marks" (scuffs of clay left behind on the surface) and marring. We also don't recommend the car soap/water solution as it can cause clay to degrade.

Instant Detailers are the best lube in our testing

Spicy McHaggis
01-24-2011, 09:23 AM
I've used straight water, and it works. I've agree that it can leave those skid marks, but usually nothing that even a paint cleaner won't take care of. IMO you should be at least using a paint cleaner anytime you clay anyway. I usually you water with a touch of ONR and it works fine, but I have used water in a pinch.

natewood70
01-24-2011, 09:38 AM
I've used a dodo juice BOB dilution in a spray bottle. IMO it works better than the specific clay lubricant, and it has shown no signs of deteriorating the clay.

slickooz
01-24-2011, 09:52 AM
I used Meg gold class soap with water and it worked, the clay was not damaged.

Spicy McHaggis
01-24-2011, 10:11 AM
I've used a dodo juice BOB dilution in a spray bottle. IMO it works better than the specific clay lubricant, and it has shown no signs of deteriorating the clay.
When you say worked better, do you mean it provided better lubricity?

Street Rat
01-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Dawn dishwashing soap and water if you have it.

Kurt_s
01-24-2011, 02:07 PM
I've used water, car soap, ONR, and QDs as clay lubes.

Water works but doesn't provide much lubrication. You probably will have marring and patches of clay that need to be removed. I didn't worry as I had heavy defect removal to do the times that I only used water.

I tried car soap and dish soap a few times which worked fine for claying but the clay gets crumbly compared to using a QD. I have not used it since. I think that I used Dawn, Megs Gold Class and another car shampoo before going back to a QD or ONR.

I currently use ONR at the clay lube dilution and the clay feels different from the original bar feel when using ONR. I'm not sure how to describe it but it feels softer and doesn't have the same bite feeling when using it. It still removes contamination well but feels quite different from using Megs Quick Detailer or Final Inspection.

I just picked up a poly clay and clay lube combination after using various fine clay bars, plus the Megs white and yellow clay kits over the years. I look forward to trying this new combo but don't know when my sister in law will bring her car up.

DJK83
01-24-2011, 02:28 PM
A few years back I worked for ford. At that time they went right from rinsing the car to claying, never even dried it until after clay. Some of these were brand new cars off the trailer. Imo good clean water is the way to go. Of couse manufactuers of QD'S and clay lubes will tell you otherwise.

Spicy McHaggis
01-24-2011, 02:37 PM
A few years back I worked for ford. At that time they went right from rinsing the car to claying, never even dried it until after clay. Some of these were brand new cars off the trailer. Imo good clean water is the way to go. Of couse manufactuers of QD'S and clay lubes will tell you otherwise.
This is exactly what I do, although sometimes I will use ONR very dilluted just to add a little slickness depending on the clay and paint condition. Also saves you from having to dry the car twice. :xyxthumbs: