PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 845IW/Honda Fit paint

Pages : [1] 2

RobZ71LM7
01-22-2011, 08:39 PM
I figured it deserved a post when my wife (of all people) made a comment about how well it sheds salt. She asked me if I washed her car one night after we had a brief rain. The rain was enough to knock off all the salt residue. Application, removal, durability, and gloss are great for the price.

Anyways I attached a few pictures after adding a coat a couple of weeks ago. I previously did a test panel on the hood with 845 IW and Wolfgang DGPS 3.0. 845 surpassed it in durability. I'm currently testing 845IW against BFWD on my Tacoma. BFWD really made the metallic pop on my truck. I have noticed that 845 IW seems to darken the paint at least on her Fit.

Currently the driver's side of the hood is 845 and the passenger side of the hood is 476s. I don't care for the application and look of 476 as much as 845, but it may make a nice wheel wax.

RobZ71LM7
01-22-2011, 08:40 PM
Forgot to add:

It's a 2010 Honda Fit in Milano Red which is a single stage paint. It's also one of the most delicate paints I've ever seen. I corrected it with XMT#1 and a white pad some months back.

I also (sorry no pics) did a full correction on her friend's '09 Fit in silver storm metallic (BC/CC) with a white pad and XMT #2 which was quite powerful on the soft clear. I used a 4" orange pad and XMT #3 on some individual deep scratches. The paint on these cars is incredibly delicate.

I'm now using M105 and M205. I plan on picking up some Menzerna 85rd just for this car in the spring.

PBoy
01-22-2011, 09:18 PM
It's a 2010 Honda Fit in Milano Red which is a single stage paint. .

really?

Flash Gordon
01-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Hard to beat 845. The car looks really nice :props:

builthatch
01-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Forgot to add:

It's a 2010 Honda Fit in Milano Red which is a single stage paint.

que?

anyway, honda over the last few years does indeed have a very soft clear. very simple to correct, esp with a DA. and typically well-cared for honda paint will clean up pretty well with just an AIO, depending on several variables, of course. you are taking the right route protecting it because it is very susceptible to deposits and etching.

it's funny how much of a following 845 has. great stuff.

BobbyG
01-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Collinite 845 is an amazing wax. It's by far the biggest bang for the buck in my opinion. I have yet to have it fail or disappoint me in any way. :props:

Apply it with a DA and spread it THIN....

Some let it haze before buffing the manufactures instructions say not to....:dunno:

Kristopher1129
01-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Honda still uses single stage paint?? That's news to me.

I feel bad for the people who buy a new Honda and don't know their vehicle has single stage paint, ha.

PBoy
01-22-2011, 10:51 PM
I've read some automakers don't use conventional clear coat, but I don't think there's many new vehicles that are single stage

rott3np3anut
01-22-2011, 10:53 PM
Looks awesome! I'm planning on getting some 845 for my Fit as well. Quick question. Was the silver fit also single stage? I did some research and some people say only the red and some other color (can't remember what, possibly silver as well...) are single stage. I'm trying to figure it out so I can figure out a process and what products to buy for when I polish my car in the spring.

EDIT - just re read and you said BC/CC which I assume means base coat and clear coat. Sorry

Fit looks great! Awesome car I think :D

LuxuryMobile
01-22-2011, 11:01 PM
Money spent on a brand new car deserves clear coat. That's too bad.

RobZ71LM7
01-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Looks awesome! I'm planning on getting some 845 for my Fit as well. Quick question. Was the silver fit also single stage? I did some research and some people say only the red and some other color (can't remember what, possibly silver as well...) are single stage. I'm trying to figure it out so I can figure out a process and what products to buy for when I polish my car in the spring.

Thanks! Her friend's silver Fit is most definitely clear coat. It's also very soft. As always, you'll want to start with the most gentle polish first. I'd be surprised if you ever needed to use 105 on it to remove defects unless they were very deep. There are a couple posts about soft clear and difficulty with micromarring on Fit's over at Meguiar's Online. I believe the white Fits may be single stage as well, but I haven't worked on one.

The red Honda Fits are most definitely single stage. I bought it brand new and used Klasse AIO the next day and got red transfer on my pads. I just wanted to make everyone aware that some Fits are single stage and all Fits have very soft paint.

I first used Collinite 11 years ago when I was in highschool and detailing boats in the summer. I had an owner that gave us Collinite Liquid Fleetwax 870 on his 40' Carver. I remember thinking at first that it was a joke in the old school packaging compared to the Mirror Glaze boat/rv products we normally used. It actually worked really well as a one step. Having to do multiple steps on boats that large was a PITA. Fast forward to a few months ago I saw 845 listed on Autogeek as a great winter wax and had to try it out.

PBoy
01-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Thanks! Her friend's silver Fit is most definitely clear coat. It's also very soft. As always, you'll want to start with the most gentle polish first. I'd be surprised if you ever needed to use 105 on it to remove defects unless they were very deep. There are a couple posts about soft clear and difficulty with micromarring on Fit's over at Meguiar's Online. I believe the white Fits may be single stage as well, but I haven't worked on one.

The red Honda Fits are most definitely single stage. I bought it brand new and used Klasse AIO the next day and got red transfer on my pads. I just wanted to make everyone aware that some Fits are single stage and all Fits have very soft paint.

I first used Collinite 11 years ago when I was in highschool and detailing boats in the summer. I had an owner that gave us Collinite Liquid Fleetwax 870 on his 40' Carver. I remember thinking at first that it was a joke in the old school packaging compared to the Mirror Glaze boat/rv products we normally used. It actually worked really well as a one step. Having to do multiple steps on boats that large was a PITA. Fast forward to a few months ago I saw 845 listed on Autogeek as a great winter wax and had to try it out.

Still blown away about the ss paint

embolism
01-23-2011, 01:08 AM
are you sure it's not tinted clear?

Lasthope05
01-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Yes, SS paints are still used today. From my experience Honda/Acura reds and whites are single stage. The same goes for Mitsubishi's and Sukuzi's.

tuscarora dave
01-23-2011, 10:43 AM
The Fit looks great!! I haven't worked on a red or a white Fit yet but have done a few other colors. With the soft Honda paint, my favorite polish for them is Poorboy's SSR 2. It is a very gentle polish that breaks down fast and easy, works great in direct sun, wipes off super easy and leaves a LSP ready finish. #845 acts the same and does produce great results for the $$$.

Thanks for the info about the single stage paints on these Honda colors. I wasn't aware of that.:xyxthumbs: