PDA

View Full Version : M105 and M205.... Not For Me!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Excessive Detail
01-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Well I gave them a chance after reading all the reviews about the pair, but after a few details using them, Im back to using my originals. Let me explian. I just did a black 350 that had some minor and major paint defects, so the plan was 205 for the light and 105 then 205 for the heavy. Both would be applied using a rotary and whatever pads I need. On both the light and heavy areas, finishing them with 205 and a white pad at a very minimal 1000 left holograms in many spots. Frustrated, mainley cuase this has happened to me before with Megs., I wasted no time breaking out the Menzerna 106, which left a flawless finish, no holograms, nothing, just pure perfection, which I seem to always get with any Menzerna product, even the heavy duty Powergloss. So no more Megs. for me, may use them on lighter colored cars, but putting all my chips into Menzerna, man the Germans know what there doing.

fancyfootwork
01-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Sounds like the problem is the rotary. Odd that Menzerna finishes great for you though.

Excessive Detail
01-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Never used a menzerna product that didnt finish out perfect. Has the longest working time of any compound/polish I have ever used. Night and day difference, juat wish they were so expensive, but well worth it.

rwright
01-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Do you wipe down with IPA after using Menzerna polishes?

Sent using Tapatalk

Spicy McHaggis
01-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Not to be a jerk, but it sounds like your process is to blame and not the products. I finished a BMW the other night that black and 205 finishes flawlessly.

As for the work times there are ways to make 105 work much longer than people say, and 205 does not have the same problems as far as working time. I would suggest trying to change the way you use the products before you go blaming the products for not working well.

also as Richard say do an IPA wipe down on the Menzerna, they are none for having lots of oils and fillers that tend to cover some micro marring that may still remain.

Excessive Detail
01-22-2011, 11:46 AM
I use an IPA with any polish, I will say the only down side I can find with the menzerna, which its a very slight downside, is buffing it off, a little harder than others, but kinda the give and take when using a polish with long working times, and of course this all dapends on how long you work the plosih in. I usually wipe as much off as i can with just the mf, then use qd and a mf, and then do the final with IPA, find this way works better than going straight for the IPA, which in may case is straight 90% alch.

Do you wipe down with IPA after using Menzerna polishes?

Sent using Tapatalk

kronos
01-22-2011, 11:50 AM
I finished a BMW the other night that black and 205 finishes flawlessly.

What pad did you use? I just picked up a makita, I already have 205 and would like to know what pads work best with that combination? Or at least work best for you. :props: Thanks.

Spicy McHaggis
01-22-2011, 11:53 AM
What pad did you use? I just picked up a makita, I already have 205 and would like to know what pads work best with that combination? Or at least work best for you. :props: Thanks.
3m finishing pad. I've also had great success with a green uber pad or white lc pad. Usually you will need to follow up with Ultrafina or PO85rd with a black or blue pad to make it totally perfect. But for most details that aren't full correction it will finish great.

Excessive Detail
01-22-2011, 11:53 AM
No processes are right, and I say that due to the five other cars ive tried it on with no better luck, and those same five used the menzerna, same pads, speeds, and processes and got perfect results, and the many other vehichles Ive done with just menzerna that came out flawless. Plus 105 and 205 are considered non-diminishing abrasive, so you the polish doesnt break down normally, like say 106, I mean it will eventually break down, but in the time period that it takes, again say 106 to break down, 105 or 205 wont, so basically you can stop polishing at anytime, again not having to worry about breakdown times.

Not to be a jerk, but it sounds like your process is to blame and not the products. I finished a BMW the other night that black and 205 finishes flawlessly.

As for the work times there are ways to make 105 work much longer than people say, and 205 does not have the same problems as far as working time. I would suggest trying to change the way you use the products before you go blaming the products for not working well.

also as Richard say do an IPA wipe down on the Menzerna, they are none for having lots of oils and fillers that tend to cover some micro marring that may still remain.

GaDetailDoc
01-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Out of curiosity, what Menzerna combo do you use? PG & PO106 or SIP & PO85RD

Spicy McHaggis
01-22-2011, 11:55 AM
No processes are right, and I say that due to the five other cars ive tried it on with no better luck, and those same five used the menzerna, same pads, speeds, and processes and got perfect results, and the many other vehichles Ive done with just menzerna that came out flawless. Plus 105 and 205 are considered non-diminishing abrasive, so you the polish doesnt break down normally, like say 106, I mean it will eventually break down, but in the time period that it takes, again say 106 to break down, 105 or 205 wont, so basically you can stop polishing at anytime, again not having to worry about breakdown times.
That what I'm saying. If you did it on 5 cars and they all looked the same then it's what you are doing, not the products. I like alot of Menz products too, but the 105/205 combo works amazingly. I don't like seeing people write how certain products don't work only because they aren't using them correctly.

Excessive Detail
01-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Well for the most part, SIP with an yellow or orange pad, then followed by 106 with a white pad. Rarely use PG cause SIP can pretty much get everything out, but have been using PG with purple kompessor pad for wet sanding mark removal, combo cuts very fast, and usually I can can go straight to the 106 after. Ive been using the new version of the classic Lake County flat pads with the blue constant pressure backing, new favorite pads, the beveled edges on the pads make panel gap transitions so easy.

Out of curiosity, what Menzerna combo do you use? PG & PO106 or SIP & PO85RD

tuscarora dave
01-22-2011, 12:05 PM
That what I'm saying. If you did it on 5 cars and they all looked the same then it's what you are doing, not the products. I like alot of Menz products too, but the 105/205 combo works amazingly. I don't like seeing people write how certain products don't work only because they aren't using them correctly.
It probably took me a year to dial in a process with 105/205. Glad I am through that learning curve (thanks to KB) I won't be looking to any other products for paint work except for PO85RD (haven't tried it yet)

Excessive Detail
01-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Well feel free to come watch me and see if you think im doing it wrong, then again this is a forum, and forums are full of opinions, and thats all im doing, what works for some may not work for others, but all im worried about is whats working for me...

DARK HORSE
01-22-2011, 12:11 PM
I agree with Spicy here; I also "like a lot of Menz products too, but the 105/205 combo works amazingly". I have never experienced any of the problems that others have with either 105 or 205. I find that if I properly/thoroughly prime the pad with product that I have always gotten plenty of work time out of 105. Also 205 finishes incredibly well for me. As far as buffing cycle for 205; well it is almost endless. I also agree that on dark colored vehicles, I too like to go the next step and finish off w/ 85rd, but believe me w/ proper technique MOST ALL vehicles can be finished out to near perfection with 205.