PDA

View Full Version : Basic...

dookateh
01-22-2011, 02:10 AM
I made a thread earlier but still was confused and thought id make another...what are the BASIC essential products you guys would suggest for someone who wants to start off with...

wash/soap/wash/clay/wax/interior clean?

Is it possible to get rid of swirls without using a polisher/buffer?
How important is the paint thickness meter when polishing/buffing?

Thanks!

Spicy McHaggis
01-22-2011, 02:24 AM
Soap- DP auto bath works well as does Duragloss 901
Clay-mothers otc clay is my favorite non poly clay
Might want to do a paint cleaning in which case p21s is a good choice
Wax- so many choices. Dp max wax is nice and its on bogo now.
interior clean- zep citrus 10:1

You can remove swirls by hand but it is very labor and time intensive. I would grab a da and a few pads to tackle swirl removal.

builthatch
01-22-2011, 02:56 AM
I made a thread earlier but still was confused and thought id make another...what are the BASIC essential products you guys would suggest for someone who wants to start off with...

wash/soap/wash/clay/wax/interior clean?

Is it possible to get rid of swirls without using a polisher/buffer?
How important is the paint thickness meter when polishing/buffing?

Thanks!

i use optimum car wash (or duragloss 902) and/or optimum no rinse. or both. read up on them to decide which is for you. the cool thing is optimum no rinse can be used as an instant detailer and or clay lube, depending on the dilution, and those are two items you should definitely have.

clay...i use the pinnacle ultra poly. it's versatile. not so fine it's useless, but fine enough to not cause a bunch of additional marring. some clays are aggressive and can scratch, even with clay lube.

wax - optimum spray wax. you can use it while drying and it is a very durable product. it is a hybrid product - mostly polymer sealant, but also some carnauba. i LOVE this stuff.

interior clean? that depends. for plastic/leather/vinyl, i use optimum protectant. for upholstery/carpet, i use zep high traffic carpet cleaner cut in half with water for upholstery and liners. i'll use full strength rarely, mostly for carpets.

it's not practical to really use correction products by hand. you can hand apply an all in one, but it won't really correct much by hand. you can products by hand to remove certain etchings and light LIGHT swirls but that's about it, if you are being practical. there just isn't enough speed/friction/movement to make real changes. as mentioned a dual action polisher like the porter cable 7424 is ideal for beginners and pros alike.

a paint gauge/meter is not necessary, but very helpful. the casual user doesn't need one. i've been detailing with machines for a few years now and haven't invested in one. you just have to be sensible, especially with new/newer cars with factory paint, as most new cars have computer applied paint that is practically metered down to the drop.

ScottB
01-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Without polishing (machine or hand) with an abrasive polish you will not remove swirls. That doesnt mean that you cannot use paint cleansing lotions to chemically clean and prep paint and glazes to temporarily hide swirls as other routes to some success. They just wont permanently remove swirls but still will be better than nothing.