PDA

View Full Version : New Dog Hair Removal Secret!?

Pages : [1] 2

MirandaAutoSpa
01-21-2011, 06:51 PM
So my wife and I were detailing a vehicle the other day. It was a Honda Accord with soft black cloth seats covered in dog hair and white lint. I usually wear thickster blue nitrile gloves, and found that I can rub my hands over the cloth and it picks up everything from lint to hair. I finished the entire interior using this method. I could even get in all the crevices with my fingers and it pulls the hair right out. They lasted about one vehicle, they eventually broke through, i think they make thicker ones too, those would last longer.
Does anyone use this method?

cnfowler
01-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Yep, it's been posted here before, too.

From 2007: Pet Hair Removal (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/4301-technique-pet-hair-removal.html)

Colin

goathead
01-21-2011, 07:07 PM
I use dish gloves. Work much better, have textured palm/fingers for gripping ability in the hand, and reusable. Best thing I ever found out.

ryanbabz71
01-21-2011, 07:09 PM
great tip thanks! I have a black lab and the hair is a PITA to clean up

Crazy Amos
01-21-2011, 07:11 PM
I use a rubber bristled brush. Works great.

You can use over and over.

mpm
01-21-2011, 07:36 PM
Lint roller for clothes. The tape kind.

C. Charles Hahn
01-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Yep, I've been using that method for years. I use regular latex surgical gloves for that particular task instead of the nitrile ones, though.

mswerb
01-21-2011, 09:23 PM
If needed, spritz the interior with water. this will decrease the static and make the hair easier to remove.

ThirdgenTa
01-22-2011, 02:18 AM
After spending 6 hours on a friends interior that was totally full of dog hair(fibers stuck in carpet and upholstry) I did a search on the internet. I came up with a tool called a dog hair stone. They were selling it for a lot of money and it looks exactly like a pumice stone. I went out and got a pumice stone for $5 and did the next few interiors and it worked awesome. Just swipe it on the carpet and it all gathers into a pile.

MirandaAutoSpa
01-22-2011, 09:27 AM
That's awesome guys....I should have searched the forums before I posted...but I was too excited. I like the pumice stone idea too.

vet
01-22-2011, 10:54 AM
I use a rotary brush attachment on my shop vac (15 - 20 bucks at stores), and it does a decent job on my daily driver. I think something better would be in order for pay for cleaning though. And the shop vac has to be powerful enough to keep the brush turning. Mine is 6 hp, if
I remember right. Also used lint rollers and brushes, the shop vac usually works on carpets, but sometimes have to go over it several times. Like Mike says, find what works for you, and use it often.

GaDetailDoc
01-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Some owners take it lightly that pet hair can be easily vacuumed like human hair!...Good Luck! I charge a bit extra and generally, they pay and appreciate the results.

SeaJay's
01-22-2011, 03:21 PM

I have the same type of thing, except it's a mitt. I use it when I'm vacuuming out an interior, works great!

Crazy Amos
01-22-2011, 03:36 PM
I have the same type of thing, except it's a mitt. I use it when I'm vacuuming out an interior, works great!

I didn't know they made a mitt-I will have to get one-I would be so much faster.

Thanks!

DaGonz
01-22-2011, 05:19 PM

Ditto that. :props: I have three dogs, and when i take them to the dog park I pull out the rubber bristled brush and the vacuum and clean the cloth seats in the Jeep in less that a few minutes.