PDA

View Full Version : What are these Marks

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

RaznStatic
01-21-2011, 05:04 PM
OK so I just got my new porter cable and menzerna polishing products and did my truck for the first time. Now I have these marks I can't seem to get rid of. You can see them in the sunlight and they move as you move when looking at them. They almost look like rotary marks but my truck have never been touched by one. Here's my method I used:

wash and clay
Menzerna SIP with orange LC pad
IPA wipdown
Menzerna Super Finish Nano with white LC pad
ipa wipedown

They just won't go away even when I have gone over them with sip and then Nano again followed by a wash and ipa wipe downs. The polish did do a good job of removing spiderweb scratches though. My truck by the way is a 2003 Chevy S10. Any help? Thanks

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8961/marksf.jpg (http://img269.imageshack.us/i/marksf.jpg/)

tuscarora dave
01-21-2011, 05:19 PM
What make of truck is it? How do you know the dealership didn't hit it with a rotary before you bought it? (I assume you bought it brand new) If you have always kept it waxed from new they may have been there since new but you just hadn't noticed them because they were filled with wax. Now that you're doing an IPA wipedown they have been cleaned of wax or fillers making them visible.

The way you describe them, I would say that they are holograms for sure and if it is really hard paint they can be tough to polish out.

embolism
01-21-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't see any marks. Are you talking about the tiny white dots? I thought they were flake but could be chips?

oh, are they those faint vertical lines near the bottom right of the panel?

RaznStatic
01-21-2011, 05:23 PM
I don't see any marks. Are you talking about the tiny white dots? I thought they were flake but could be chips?

It's the white hologram looking vertical lines.

tuscarora dave
01-21-2011, 05:24 PM
I see what appears to be vertical holograms or buffer trails on the door panel just above and to the left of the sun reflection that is on the trim piece.

RaznStatic
01-21-2011, 05:25 PM
What make of truck is it? How do you know the dealership didn't hit it with a rotary before you bought it? (I assume you bought it brand new) If you have always kept it waxed from new they may have been there since new but you just hadn't noticed them because they were filled with wax. Now that you're doing an IPA wipedown they have been cleaned of wax or fillers making them visible.

The way you describe them, I would say that they are holograms for sure and if it is really hard paint they can be tough to polish out.

It's a 2003 Chevy S10. I bought used a few years back and I don't remember seeing holograms before. Shouldn't they have been removed if all the other scratches and defects seem to have been removed?

RaznStatic
01-21-2011, 05:25 PM
I see what appears to be vertical holograms or buffer trails on the door panel just above and to the left of the sun reflection that is on the trim piece.

Exactly.

tuscarora dave
01-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Shouldn't they have been removed if all the other scratches and defects seem to have been removed?

You would think so. Try re polishing that area but move your polisher in horizontal passes only, to make sure that your polishing process is not leaving them behind.

RaznStatic
01-21-2011, 05:30 PM
You would think so. Try re polishing that area but move your polisher in horizontal passes only, to make sure that your polishing process is not leaving them behind.

I polish both ways like the video posted by autogeek and slowly.

tuscarora dave
01-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Hopefully they are not the beginning stages of clear coat failure that end up looking like the door on this van.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/015-15.jpg

Kristopher1129
01-21-2011, 05:45 PM
I see the hologram like marks. Are you sure that panel hasn't been painted? Cause I see quite a bit of orange peel. Maybe there's a defect in the paint? That would explain why it's still there after you buffed.

proudpoppa
01-21-2011, 05:47 PM
what kind of towels you using? i have seen towel induced marring that looked similar to that.

RaznStatic
01-21-2011, 05:48 PM
I don't think it's that. There's really not that many of these marks on my truck and there not that noticeable unless the right light and angle hits it. They really do look like holograms but they don't look like distinct trails from a rotary like many pics I've seen online. I don't know hopefully it's nothing bad like that.

RaznStatic
01-21-2011, 05:50 PM
I see the hologram like marks. Are you sure that panel hasn't been painted? Cause I see quite a bit of orange peel. Maybe there's a defect in the paint? That would explain why it's still there after you buffed.

The truck does have that orange peel effect but it is factory painted. As for the towels I use, when I bought my porter cable on autogeek it came with 10 free Christmas autogeek microfiber towels.

Jons6.7
01-21-2011, 05:55 PM
I would bet you now see it because you have cleaned up everything else and its all thats left. No idea how to get them off after all you have done so far has not effected them.

Depending on your OCD level you either can leave them after blaming them on the Christmas towls(my favorite idea), or try something with more cut but if its a DD you may be working in vain.