PDA

View Full Version : what pads to get? zaino+ black c6 Corvette

CheM
01-20-2011, 12:22 PM
I just got a black 05 C6, paint overall is in good shape with very light swirls in most areas.

Now...

So far i have bought a full zaino kit Z2,Z5,Z8 + clay

I am also going to be getting a griots DA. My question is... what pads should i get?
I was thinking or ordering either this kit....

Lake Country 5 1/2 Inch Flat Pads 6 Pack - Your Choice!

Or

i can order some

Lake Country Hydro-Tech Low Profile 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads

What pads would you recommend? this is probably the only car i will be working on. Not sure what amount of each pads etc

Thanks in advance

Street Rat
01-20-2011, 12:45 PM
What are you going to use for a compound or polish prior to the Zaino? I use Meguire's 105 with a Cyan (blue) Lake Country HT and move to Meguire's 205 with a Tangerine or Crimson to finish out. Always start with the least agressive combination of pads and product to see what works for your finish. I would suggest at least 4 pads of each color that you decide on, possibly more because you'll be working on black and you may get real picky.

CheM
01-20-2011, 02:27 PM
not sure..... i have no other products, but always willing to get stuff if needed.

Will the z5 not be enough ? im not sure i need much of a compound since the finish is in pretty good shape .

ScottB
01-20-2011, 05:06 PM
5 inch backing plate
5.5 inch hydro-tech pads
Menzerna SIP and 085rd or Wolfgang TSR and FG.

davidc
01-20-2011, 05:07 PM
I would try the Z5 first, I think it will take of your swirls. I have used Menz 85rd and washed with Dawn dish detergent before applying ZAIO and/or Z2 as I was trying to have the paint clean and bare as to not have anything interfere with the Zaino polymers bonding. That is the reason I say to use the Z5 first since it is the same product line as your top coats.

Dave

CheM
01-20-2011, 06:21 PM
well guess... this is what i got..

1 MG-1000 - Meguiars Swirl Free Kit (105/205 with 2 orange pads)
1 GR-10750-1 - 6 Inch Griot's Garage Polisher ( NEW ) 129.99
(Standard)
1 LC-43-125DA - 5'' D.A. Hook & Loop Flexible Backing Pl 16.99
1 LC-75-6PACK - 6 QTY Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Beve 34.99
(2 white/2 black/ 1 blue and 1 yellow)

Wolfgang TSR sample

hope im not missing anything.

ScottB
01-20-2011, 06:32 PM
I would try the Z5 first, I think it will take of your swirls. I have used Menz 85rd and washed with Dawn dish detergent before applying ZAIO and/or Z2 as I was trying to have the paint clean and bare as to not have anything interfere with the Zaino polymers bonding. That is the reason I say to use the Z5 first since it is the same product line as your top coats.

Dave

Z5Pro is a paint sealant just like Wolfgang Concours. Z5Pro offers some very light filling but no abrasive or polishing ability. The only polish in the Zaino line is Fusion and its a light polish in most uses especially against the Vettes harder coat.

davidc
01-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Z5Pro is a paint sealant just like Wolfgang Concours. Z5Pro offers some very light filling but no abrasive or polishing ability. The only polish in the Zaino line is Fusion and its a light polish in most uses especially against the Vettes harder coat.

Yes, you are correct. I was thinking of Z-PC which is the Fusion dual action. My bad. Thanks for the correction.

Dave

slimnib
01-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Z-PC is not a strong cleaner. So you may need meguairs 105/205. However, nothing beats Zanios sealant for durabilty and finish. Some may tie in finish but will not stand a chance for durabilty,