PDA

View Full Version : Foam gun test: DP Extreme Foam vs. Megs NXT

quantim0
12-17-2006, 05:50 PM
I just got my foam gun in the mail last week and it came with a sample of DP Extreme Foam car wash. I posted some pictures in my show and shine post last week and promised that I would try NXT in the gun and report back. Both shampoos were used on the max foam setting. I don't have any comparisons to other AG shampoos, but will be ordering some PB SS&S on my next order to see how that works out. For a foam gun, I think that some of the more expensive shampoos might go to waste.

DP Extreme Foam: Foamed really well right out of the gun as expected. I let it sit on the car for about 2-3 minutes before taking the picture. You can judge the foam content for yourself. Unlike every other DP product I have, I was not really impressed with the shampoo. It didn't have great slickness but did not seem to have a problem cleaning the dirt off my car. From AG costs $15 for 32 oz. My summary is that this shampoo is nothing too special.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/quantim0/IMG_0651.jpg

Meguiar's NXT: This is what I had been using previously with the 2 bucket method and thought it was pretty much the cat's pajamas. Used it today for the first time through my foam gun and was very impressed. It foamed just as well as the DP and the slickness was just as good, if not slightly better. From past experience NXT has no problem removing dirt and grime from the car, plus it seems to leave a little extra shine behind. At $8 for 64 oz from AG, this is probably the best wash for the money. This is a great shampoo and by far the best for the money.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/quantim0/IMG_0669.jpg

And just for fun, a gratuitous reflection shot. Since it was sunny here for the first time in a week. Questions and comments are of course welcome and encouraged.
-Andrew

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/quantim0/IMG_0671.jpg

Surfer
12-17-2006, 06:17 PM
Deffinitley try the Poorboys SSS wash and even the Duragloss wash. If you think NXT foamed wait till you try those two, and slickness is noticeably better on the PB and DG wash. Love the DG wash.

Somebody I think on Autopia or another board had a nice write up comparing multiple washes throug hte foam gun. Not sure what forum it was though lol. But you could see the differences between the washes used, was pretty cool.

ScottB
12-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Never liked the NXT wash as water sheets after use, I find Poorboys, Duragloss, and Zaino to make the best soaps currently. Pinnacles is also very, very nice but at a higher cost.

ryandamartini
12-17-2006, 07:16 PM
Poorboys or Duragloss next time! Convince me to buy a foam gun! :p

Al-53
12-17-2006, 07:22 PM
Never liked the NXT wash as water sheets after use, I find Poorboys, Duragloss, and Zaino to make the best soaps currently. Pinnacles is also very, very nice but at a higher cost.

I agree 100% with Killer...I tried the NXT before I used the Duragloss...and found it is a very harsh soap...it does remove some of the protection on the paint.....the slickness of the sealant was gone and a few days later paint was grabby...and never beaded like it did when it rained...it is a harsh soap...

Al

GearHead_1
12-17-2006, 08:46 PM
I'm not a big NXT fan. I've always felt like Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo out performed the NXT product. I also like PoorBoys shampoo very much.

Reddwarf
12-17-2006, 08:53 PM
I tried the NXT soap and I'm not sure why, but I just did not care for it. However, I love the Meg's Gold Class shampoo. I have the DP Extreme foam and I like it, but for the price, the Meg's is my favorite. I really want to try the PB shampoo so I'll have to order it next time.

quantim0
12-17-2006, 09:46 PM
You guys are correct. Some of my protection does feel like it went away. The slickness of my paint is reduced, but there doesn't seem to be any loss in shine. I have some Meg's GC that I want to try out next. I tried some Zaino wash and it worked good, but it's expensive and I'd rather support AG. Definitey trying the PB and DG soap next. I guess I don't know what I am missing.

MikeyC
12-17-2006, 10:37 PM
Poorboy's SS&S is definitely the slipperiest car wash soap on the market IME. Optimum Car Wash is also EXCELLENT since they revised the formula earlier this year. Even though the PB's SS&S is slightly more slippery IMO, I recently bought a gallon of the Optimum. I wash my car often so I decided to go with Optimum since it's only a slight step down IMO and it costs much less than Poorboy's. It's an excellent soap and I'm not sure why it doesn't get talked about more when the subject is car wash soap.

supercharged
12-17-2006, 11:59 PM
I never tried NXT nor Gold Class in a foam gun. I think that Gold Class will be better in a foam gun, as it is a softer shampoo. NXT is a good shampoo for bulk washing dirty cars. It slightly removes some protection, sheets water, which makes easier to dry. I like NXT with 1oz of Poorboy's Bug Squash for really dirty vehicle washing. But consider that again too strong, and that about half of your protection will be gone.

There is nothing like Poorboy's SS&S in a foam gun. It is like a second Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo for a better price.

Truls
12-18-2006, 04:23 PM
Nice test.

Ill be getting a foamgun when summer comes back here.

But im soon getting more car wash, and i think i will get the Duragloss

klnyc
12-18-2006, 05:16 PM
So, NXT feel more slicker than DP?

quantim0
12-18-2006, 10:42 PM
I'd say it is even. However, I doubt that the DP will be as harsh on wax as the NXT was.