PDA

View Full Version : Waxing in the Sun

dbbrooks
01-18-2011, 08:47 AM
I am about to wax a motor home in the sun. What's every ones favorite wax for working in the sun? Feed back please

stoddwilson
01-18-2011, 08:58 AM
It depends on your maximum temperature. I waxed a motorhome this past weekend and it was overcast with some direct sun and about 54 degrees. I used Megs Flagship Premium Marine/ RV Wax. Great for the fiberglass/gelcoat surface.

Let us know how it goes.

Todd Wilson
Wilson's Precision Detailing
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbbrooks
01-18-2011, 09:09 AM
It depends on your maximum temperature. I waxed a motorhome this past weekend and it was overcast with some direct sun and about 54 degrees. I used Megs Flagship Premium Marine/ RV Wax. Great for the fiberglass/gelcoat surface.

Let us know how it goes.

Todd Wilson
Wilson's Precision Detailing
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Todd, thanks for the reply. I'm in SE Florida. The temp is in the mid seventies. I've been drawn into doing a lot of motor homes. A little overwhelmed about what to charge but anyway the job here is actually to wax the roof which is plastic I believe. The clearcoat has come of and the owner doesn't want to re-clearcoat.

Mike Phillips
01-18-2011, 09:15 AM
A little overwhelmed about what to charge but anyway the job here is actually to wax the roof which is plastic I believe. The clearcoat has come of and the owner doesn't want to re-clearcoat.

Are you doing this by machine?

Do you have some kind of scaffolding set up to work at higher elevations?

What color is what's left of the roof?

:)

dbbrooks
01-18-2011, 09:32 AM
Are you doing this by machine?

Do you have some kind of scaffolding set up to work at higher elevations?

What color is what's left of the roof?

Hi Mike, Yeah, I'm climbing all over these things every day. I use "A" type Werner Extension ladders. They're very stable. most of this work will be sitting up on top. The color of the plastic is very light beige. There are a few spots where the clear coat has stayed on but I'm just going to wax over it. Thanks for jumping in on this. Bye the way, if you need any help on your 101 102 class days coming up I'll be glad to help in any way. Only a few minutes away.

Mike Phillips
01-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Hi Mike, Yeah, I'm climbing all over these things every day. I use "A" type Werner Extension ladders. They're very stable. most of this work will be sitting up on top.

Sounds good, better safe than sorry and we tend not to appreciate our health until something happens and were out of action.

The color of the plastic is very light beige. There are a few spots where the clear coat has stayed on but I'm just going to wax over it.

A light color is good for you, there won't be any dramatic results if your waxing works wonders or has little to no effect. (Unlike a dark color).

Thanks for jumping in on this. Bye the way, if you need any help on your 101 102 class days coming up I'll be glad to help in any way. Only a few minutes away.

Thank you for the offer, I'll get back to you via PM

:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
01-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Which machine are you using?

dbbrooks
01-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Which machine are you using?

PC 7424XP, I have LC flat pads and low profile hydro tech. I've never tried CCS. I'm doing this tomorrow so I'll be in direct sun all day.

Mike Phillips
01-18-2011, 09:48 AM
PC 7424XP, I have LC flat pads and low profile hydro tech. I've never tried CCS. I'm doing this tomorrow so I'll be in direct sun all day.

Without seeing the surface you're working on it's hard to say what's needed and what will work best but my best guess would be a mild cleaner/wax and then you can adjust your pad aggressiveness or non-aggressiveness to your taste. A few test spots will steer you in the right direction.

XMT 360 wipes off easily after it's been applied, Poorboy's has a long time reputation of a line of products that can be used in direct sun.

Whatever you use, a good one-step cleaner/wax would be the way to go, that way you only have to go over the roof once.

Maybe take terry cloth towels with you to wipe the wax off instead of microfiber towels. The nap of a quality cotton terry cloth towel offers a lot of bite for loosening and removing wax residue in situations like this.

dbbrooks
01-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Without seeing the surface you're working on it's hard to say what's needed and what will work best but my best guess would be a mild cleaner/wax and then you can adjust your pad aggressiveness or non-aggressiveness to your taste. A few test spots will steer you in the right direction.

XMT 360 wipes off easily after it's been applied, Poorboy's has a long time reputation of a line of products that can be used in direct sun.

Whatever you use, a good one-step cleaner/wax would be the way to go, that way you only have to go over the roof once.

Maybe take terry cloth towels with you to wipe the wax off instead of microfiber towels. The nap of a quality cotton terry cloth towel offers a lot of bite for loosening and removing wax residue in situations like this.

The condition of the surface is good. Just appears to be a dull plastic. not terribly scratched or swirly. It gets walked on by the occasional tech like me. I've been using XMT 360 on the bodies and have been getting really great results. Diminishes away to a great shine. Just wish I could get rid of the smell. Bees like it way to much!

Mike Phillips
01-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Sounds like you have a plan of action... be sure to share a picture or two...

Black Car
01-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Liquid Natty's Blue is great in the sun. I've applied it in 85 degree weather and it wipes off fine.

I also think Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (yes I spelled it out!) works very well in the heat.

dbbrooks
01-18-2011, 11:13 AM
Sounds like you have a plan of action... be sure to share a picture or two...

Just two quick questions. Do you think 360 will work okay in direct sun (I've been dodging the sun when working the sides)? and.. Do you think there's a reason I should try the green 5.5 CCS pad for this application. I've never used CCS.

Surfer
01-18-2011, 11:06 PM
Liquid Natty's Blue is great in the sun. I've applied it in 85 degree weather and it wipes off fine.

I also think Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (yes I spelled it out!) works very well in the heat.Man I've been out of the loop for awhile, not sure what LNB is, but in the past I used Natty's Blue and Aquawax spray with no problem in the sun.

dbbrooks
01-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Well so much for worrying about the sun. I got rained out. The goal here is to eliminate the chalking that is running down the sides from the roof. The plastic roof has lost it's clear coat. I started with a crimson Hydro-tech and ended up going down to the blue to be able to remove the deposits on the plastic. I used xmt360. The results seemed okay. The plastic came up to a dull sheen which I expected. The bad part was that I had to go over my test area twice to get an even appearance because the plastic, presumably because it's so porous, just soaked up the polish. I also think I should be tackling this with a Flex 3401. Using the PC 7424 with 5.5" pads is going to take way to long. Any way it seemed like a good idea to drop back and reconsider my approach to get this done as efficiently as possible. Any thoughts? My first upload of pictures. Hope it comes out okay.