PDA

View Full Version : Claying Resprayed Paint Job 2 years on

Jaayman
01-17-2011, 08:25 PM
This might be a stupid question but just want to make sure:

A car im lining up a deal in buying, during the paint job, not alot, but dust did find its way into the painting booth. when i get the car, and go to clay the paint surface, will the clay bar try collect the 'dust' particles that may be rising in the paint or caused a bump (if you guys follow) and ruin the paint job etc.?

CHEERS!!!

Munich77
01-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Most likely you will need to wet sand those areas - the contaminates are trapped by the paint/clear coat.

Kristopher1129
01-18-2011, 01:25 AM
Yeah that's a tough one man. It also depends if the bumps are in the paint, or the clear coat. If they're in the clear coat...you can probably fix it with wet sanding. If it's in the paint, and they cleared over it...you got a problem. Sounds like either way you're looking at some wet sanding.

builthatch
01-18-2011, 01:28 AM
they are called nibs. you can usually knock them down with a nib file and then sand/buff. the only problem is if it's in the base, yes, you can knock it down via removing the corresponding bump in the clear, but that tiny spot will have minimal clear. if there are a bunch in one area it can lead to trouble down the road, so be careful if you plan on wetsanding and/or buffing down the line. usually there is ample clear on the car if a human sprayed it so you will likely be a-ok.

jimmyjam
01-18-2011, 04:26 AM
That's a tough one......SUKS....

C. Charles Hahn
01-18-2011, 08:55 AM
Yep, definitely looks like some sanding is in your future if you are going to get trash out of the clear (hopefully it is in the clear and not under it).

Mike Phillips
01-18-2011, 09:32 AM
they are called nibs. you can usually knock them down with a nib file and then sand/buff. the only problem is if it's in the base, yes, you can knock it down via removing the corresponding bump in the clear, but that tiny spot will have minimal clear. if there are a bunch in one area it can lead to trouble down the road, so be careful if you plan on wetsanding and/or buffing down the line.

I agree, well explained. :xyxthumbs:

usually there is ample clear on the car if a human sprayed it so you will likely be a-ok.

Cross your fingers there's plenty of clear... is it possible to ask? Can you locate the person that actually sprayed the paint? That's the first thing I would do, contact this person and see if they remember how many coats of clear they sprayed and if they were light or heavy...

Besides that, the most important thing to do at this point is some testing.

Just for giggles, I would first try an aggressive clay bar, keeping with the use the least aggressive product for the job idea.

Like I tell my son,

"You don't know what you can do until you try"

Next I would do some light hand sanding or dampsanding and my preference would be dampsanding. For all your testing, place tape lines down and work on just one side of the tape so after performing some steps to the paint you can clearly see the before and after results as this will guide you to using the right approach.

It also helps if the owner or boss comes by and you want to show them what's going on, the tape will make it easy for them to see the before and after difference, this could be helpful if you're running into problems. Anytime you're working for someone seasoned, keep in mind their eyesight might not be as good as yours, so a tape line helps others to see you work should that be helpful to you to get the job done.

I did a number of test spots on the 1970 Cutlass I recently buffed out while testing some products and also dialing in a system to tackle the entire car.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1009/MultipleTapeLines01.jpg

This is a cropped out section of the above, if you look close you can see the circular swirls in the paint to the right of the vertical tape line.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1009/MultipleTapeLines01c.jpg

Key point is to do some testing, find out,

A: Can the paint be fixed
B: A process that works and can be duplicated over the entire car

Go from there...

:xyxthumbs: