PDA

View Full Version : Detailer after waxing ?

lexterminator
01-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Hi guys,

what is the best practice when buffing a car after it got waxed ? I normally use Pinnacle Souveran Wax. Is it a good idea to use Pinnacle Crystal Mist detailer immediately after the wax got buffed out to have an even shiny surface ?

Or does the wax need to only be buffed with micro fiber towel and wait 12 hours or so before putting any kind of detailer on the paint ?

thanks

Alex.

Nick McKees37
01-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Try this; lightly mist each panel with Crystal Mist as you are removing the wax. Not only will it make it easier to remove the wax, but it will also enhance the shine. :dblthumb2:

lexterminator
01-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks Nick, I wasn't sure if doing that would somewhat reduce the effectiveness of the wax on the car.

bodavenport
01-17-2011, 05:11 PM
My usual steps are opti-seal and then topped with a wax to enhance looks even more and I will use a detail spry to ease with wax removal so I ma not rubbing on the paint dry

slickooz
01-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Can I use 1:1 dilution of Meg last touch to remove wax?

Nick McKees37
01-17-2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks Nick, I wasn't sure if doing that would somewhat reduce the effectiveness of the wax on the car.

If you want to get real technical and look at the science aspect of it, maybe Mike Phillips will chime in. :props:

Whenever I wax my car, I like to spritz each panel with Crystal Mist while buffing off the wax. In my opinion, it makes the wax easier to remove. :buffing:

Mike Phillips
01-17-2011, 05:33 PM
There's kind of two answers to your question, it just depends upon what you want?

Protection
If the goal is to leave the maximum amount of protection ingredients on the paint finish after wipe-off, then in a perfect world you want to let a window of time go by so that the protection ingredients left on the surface, (whatever they are), can complete any bonding, adhering, curing or cross-linking to the surface. For this reason you would want to stop wiping the surface after initial wipe-off.

You have to ask yourself the question,

Will wiping more and more add wax to the paint?

The answer is, what's the opposite of the word add.

Beauty
If all you're primarily after is beauty, for example you just waxed the car and now you're going on a cruise or putting the car on display, then it's perfectly fine to wipe the freshly waxed paint with either a spray detailer or a spray-on wax.

Just depends what your goal is...

:)

Mike Phillips
01-17-2011, 05:37 PM
My usual steps are opti-seal and then topped with a wax to enhance looks even more and I will use a detail spry to ease with wax removal so I ma not rubbing on the paint dry

How you apply and wipe off any product, and the material you use are key factors in what takes place at the surface level during the process. Wiping gently, is less aggressive than wiping firmly and will have a different effect.

Factors that affect how aggressive or non-aggressive a product is... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/28458-factors-affect-how-aggressive-non-aggressive-product.html)

Can I use 1:1 dilution of Meg last touch to remove wax?

Just to clarify, to remove wax residue after you've waxed your car?

(not to strip the paint)

Just want to clarify for others reading this because there's a lot of talk about stripping wax off paint and I'm pretty confident that's not what slickooz means.

You could dilute it, seems like leaving it full strength would make the product more slippery and this would help lubricate the surface as you're wiping off any stubborn wax residue. That's a good thing.

:D

FASTFRED
01-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Very imformative thread.