PDA

View Full Version : Do you re-use a claybar after 1 car?

Pages : [1] 2

WRAPT C5Z06
01-17-2011, 01:24 PM
I don't do a ton of cars, so I usually will start fresh(50grams size). I'm assuming I can get a lot more use other than 1 car? A dirty clay bar bugs me.

Mirror Detailing
01-17-2011, 01:27 PM
I mean hell if you clay a real bad vehicle and the clay is just very dirty after one use...after multiple flips of the clay...then yeah, new bar. But I have had some clay last upwards of 10 vehicles before I decide to trash it. No since in throwing away perfectly good stored clay.

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
01-17-2011, 01:30 PM
:iagree:

If you feel that it is getting dirty time to use a new one. I also cut up my clay bar into little pancake pieces and use them just in case I drop it I will only be losing a 1/4 of the whole bar.

SeaJay's
01-17-2011, 01:37 PM
I typically can get 3-4 cars at least out of a piece of clay. Obviously depends on how bad the car is, but an average would be probably 3-4 cars.

BobbyG
01-17-2011, 01:41 PM
In general I do about 5 or 6 cars and then toss it.

A warm bar works allot better than a cold one. Once it warms up I can fols it over on itself many times to expose a fresh surface thus breathing new life into an existing bar.

Pockets mentioned something that I do; cutting the bar into sections in case I accidentally drop it so I'm throwing away just one section and not the whole bar.

Car - floor - trash

Shawn T.
01-17-2011, 01:43 PM
I have done 4 cars with a clay bar that I have. If I can find a clean side then it's still good IMO.

Setec Astronomy
01-17-2011, 01:47 PM
If you feel that it is getting dirty time to use a new one. I also cut up my clay bar into little pancake pieces and use them just in case I drop it I will only be losing a 1/4 of the whole bar.

I use as small a piece as I can get away with then when it gets dirty or dropped it gets thrown away.

Pockets@PoorboysWorld
01-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Also another little tip.... if its to dirty for your paint you can move it down to using it as rim clay until its really dirty than it gets the boot.

fancyfootwork
01-17-2011, 02:04 PM
I think it depends if your going to be buffing the car or not. I'm not saying by any means its ok to use a dirty clay bar on a car that your going to buff.. But if your stock is low and clay is a must, you will be buffing out the imperfections anyways.

Nick McKees37
01-17-2011, 02:35 PM
All depends on how dirty it is. :D

slickooz
01-17-2011, 05:05 PM
I was wondering the same thing. If you had a client that had a nice car would you use a new white clay bar or used a clay bar that was slightly gray.

I'm going be working on two s2000 soon and will be getting 50 for each car. Wash/clay/sealant/wax.

VW 91
01-17-2011, 05:54 PM
Whenever my clay gets dirty I spray it with some APC, then scrub it with a toothbrush, and then rinse it in a warm bucket of water.

Rsurfer
01-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Tip: After claying a panel and before folding..get a soft tooth brush with some car soap or clay lube and scrub the surface of the clay before folding. Why fold in all that crap!

Setec Astronomy
01-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Also another little tip.... if its to dirty for your paint you can move it down to using it as rim clay until its really dirty than it gets the boot.

Yes, in the other thread that was just like this I noted the demotion of the clay to window and then wheel use, and then for claying the inside of the garbage can...

DLB
01-17-2011, 08:23 PM
Yes, in the other thread that was just like this I noted the demotion of the clay to window and then wheel use, and then for claying the inside of the garbage can...No, the house siding before the garbage can. :xyxthumbs:

I use clay on paint until it dirty enough to start causing marring. So yes, with the exception of nasty cars, I use it on more than 1 vehicle.

For my personal vehicles, I keep a fine grade clay handy while washing, and clay about every third wash, and re-wax. (I don't do weekly washes http://www.slickorange.com/board/icon/shock.gif

DLB