PDA

View Full Version : How to clean LC HT pad from AG HD Wax?

mikek753
01-17-2011, 02:54 AM
How to clean LC HT pad from AG HD Wax? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/31955-how-clean-lc-ht-pad-ag-hd-wax.html)

hi all,

I've cleaned my polishing pads by using bio degreaser just fine.
And it worked out well for Griot's One Step Sealant too.
Now I used crimson pad for AutoGlym HD Was application and was not able to remove wax from the pad at all, what's more this HD Wax repels water on the pad as no tomorrow.
Then I tried to soap, so I applied liquid soap on top of the pad and soaked it for 1-2 hours in hot water. As result I got a little wax out, while wax stay inside this pad.
I did NOT try lemon juice and Meg's APC+ yet.

What to use to clean this pad?
Or just leave it as is? As I'll be using this pad for HD Wax applications only in the next 6-10 months.

Thanks.
Mike.

jimmyjam
01-17-2011, 03:10 AM
Hi Mike,
IMO (in my opinion) the only way to maintain a polishing pad with AutoGlym HD is to keep it moist in a zip lock, and only use it solely for AutoGlym HD. As far as cleaning the pad, use orange cleaner that'll remove the wax without harming the pad. :props:

DLB
01-17-2011, 07:51 AM
As far as cleaning the pad, use orange cleaner that'll remove the wax without harming the pad. :props: Such as?

My advice - apply paste waxes by hand with small foam or microfiber pads and don't sweat it. They are cheap. :D

Seriously though - I have had luck with hard to remove sealants by letting the pads soak SEVERAL days in a bucket of Snappy Clean. Starts looking nasty after a while, but it seems to work. Make sure your pads are stuck good to the backing material, because letting them soak might make them more likely to separate.

DLB

Mike Phillips
01-17-2011, 08:54 AM
hi all,

I've cleaned my polishing pads by using bio degreaser just fine.
And it worked out well for Griot's One Step Sealant too.

Now I used crimson pad for AutoGlym HD Was application and was not able to remove wax from the pad at all, what's more this HD Wax repels water on the pad as no tomorrow.

Then I tried to soap, so I applied liquid soap on top of the pad and soaked it for 1-2 hours

Should hold up on the car then... that is if you can't wash it off your buffing pad then it shojuld be hard to wash off your car too.... for most people, that's what they're looking for, a was that won't wash off.

If the wax washed off your buffing pad easily, then it would wash off your car easily, and then people would complaint the wax doesn't last long.

This topic comes up once in a while and I have something written on it...

Hang on...

Mike Phillips
01-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Here's the thread, I gave it a custom, blue clickable link and I find it by using the search term,

soluble

Cleaning Pads (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/26379-cleaning-pads.html)

Here's what I wrote,

Just to note... everyone wants a wax or paint sealant to last a long time right?

In order for a wax or a paint sealant to last a long time you would think it would need to be water-resistant correct? That is it won't simply wash off in a rainstorm or wash off the first time you wash your car... correct?

Point being is most compounds and polishes will wash out of buffing pads pretty easily; anything that is supposed to last a long time... you're going to have to work at it a little more to get it to "wash" out of the pad.

Most body shop approved compounds and polishes are going to be wax and silicone free or another way of referring to them would be water soluble, that is they will break down in water and will especially break down in water with some type of soap or cleaning chemical. Waxes and paint sealants by default should be water insoluble, that is they won't break down easily in water but will with some work with water and some type of soap and/or cleaning chemical. Make sense?

Here's a tip...
If you're washing pads in a bucket, wash your compound and polishing pads first, then wash any pads with waxes and paint sealants in them, this will keep your wash water cleaner or less adulterated with substances that don't break down easily in water which will make cleaning multiple compounding and polishing pads less messy.

Also for what it's worth, if you're machine applying waxes or paint sealants you shouldn't be using so much product that your pads are getting saturated to the point that they need washing, if you find your pads getting saturated then maybe cut down on the amount of product you're using.

The exception would be if you're using a cleaner/wax by machine because then you're using the cleaner/wax like a compound or polish, that is you're suing it heavy or wet and thus you'll tend and trend to saturate our pads.

Tags
Soluble
Detergent-Resistant
Insoluble

:xyxthumbs:

zliegen
01-17-2011, 09:12 AM
Any of the Powder based pad cleaner products should do the job. Snappy pad packets are the only ones I've used but they do work very well. I'm going to try the DP Pad rejuvenator when I run out.

DP Polishing Pad Rejuvenator was created to provide detailers with a fast and effective way to clean pads without soapy residue or foamy degreasers. (http://www.autogeek.net/dp730.html)

Snappy Clean Pad Cleaning Powder, foam pad cleaner, lake country pad cleaner, wool pad cleaner, citrus foam pad cleaner, polishing pad cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/snappytool.html)

The trick is throwing the pads into the bucket and squeezing the solution of this stuff into the pad BEFORE the wax dries up on the pad. Do not wait to clean your pads. You WILL have to rub the pad with your fingers or a brush while its soaking in the solution to clean it entirely of the heavyduty waxes or sealants. I've not had any luck getting my pads 100% clean by just letting them soak in the stuff, but it definitely works much better than soap and water.

Shawn T.
01-17-2011, 10:44 AM
For some reason I have never had this problem with pads. I just throw them in the washing machine with Tide and they always come out clean.

I do have one that changed to a darker shade of it's color though....

James K
01-17-2011, 11:52 AM
I always apply the AGHD by hand and keep the pads in a ziplock baggy and make sure.they stay moist. I tried cleaning the applicator pad one time. I ended up just throwing it out. Keep the pad you have used in a ziplock baggy and it should be fine to use again IMO.

mikek753
01-17-2011, 01:34 PM
thanks for all your replies.
I put LC pad in one and HD Wax hand applicator to another ziplock to keep it moisturized.
I used hand applicator to put wax to paint 3-5 times for about 3x3 and spread it with DA - like a butter to a bread.
I was not able to figure out how to put hd wax to crimson pad.

lexterminator
01-17-2011, 02:42 PM
I had used the AG HD Wax a few times and to clean the pad up I had to put a few drops of Detailers Pride Microfiber cleaner directly on the pad, squeeze the pad then put a bit of hot water on the pad, then squeeze the pad again and brush the surface with the palm of my hand, then rince thoroughly with hot water. Came up clean.