PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Clay

chetsteadman
01-16-2011, 08:03 PM
I've seen a few dedicated wheel clays out there, and was wondering if there are any real differences between those specifically marketed for wheels or if any "regular" clay can be used on a dirty wheel. I'm going to pull the wheels off my wife's Honda this spring and give them a good cleaning and feel like claying may be necessary. Thanks in advance.

BobbyG
01-16-2011, 08:12 PM
The clear coat on todays wheels is much like the clear finish that protects your cars paint.

Wash your wheels thoroughly to remove as much brake-dust and foreign debris as possible. Spray the wheel with the clay lubricant of your choice and go over every surface with the clay bar as you normally would.

I've never heard of a clay specifically designed for wheels but the standard clays out there should work fine. I'd be curious to hear if there were special clay bars designed specifically for this.

Shane731
01-16-2011, 08:32 PM
I've never heard of a clay specifically designed for wheels but the standard clays out there should work fine. I'd be curious to hear if there were special clay bars designed specifically for this.

I know Griot's Garage has a clay bar that they claim is specifically for wheels, as well as one for glass and one for paint. Couldn't tell you the difference between them though.

Griot's Garage Wheel Cleaning Clay, wheel detailing clay, wheel clay bar, wheel detailing clay bar, clay wheels (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-wheel-cleaning-clay.html)

BobbyG
01-16-2011, 08:37 PM
I know Griot's Garage has a clay bar that they claim is specifically for wheels, as well as one for glass and one for paint. Couldn't tell you the difference between them though.

Griot's Garage Wheel Cleaning Clay, wheel detailing clay, wheel clay bar, wheel detailing clay bar, clay wheels (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-wheel-cleaning-clay.html)

I hear ya Shane.

If memory serves me correctly there are only a few companies that produce this clay but as I said; I'm no expert on this and would like to know more about it.

Thanks for the information and link! :props:

Rsurfer
01-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Sounds like Griot marketing too me.

Jons6.7
01-16-2011, 10:18 PM
or a good way to help you keep your clay's separate anyway.

Kristopher1129
01-16-2011, 10:53 PM
I was going to buy that Griots clay one day...then I started thinking the same thing. I can't possibly imagine there's any difference in the clay. Clay is non abrasive to begin with. The only thing is...it's probably just a softer grade. But you can buy soft grade clay for paint too.

That is one thing I hate about shopping for detailing products. A lot of times they use the same product, and just put it in a different packaging and say it does something different. But really, it's the same stuff!

But, I will say this...AG is really good about weeding out those types of products though. So, who knows...maybe it works better! But, I would take an educated guess and say your paint clay will work just fine. :xyxthumbs:

TornadoRed
01-16-2011, 11:58 PM
If you want to stay in the Griot's line of products then buying wheel and glass clay will save you money in the long run as they are less expensive than the paint clay. Once you've used clay for wheels it is probably a good idea to not use it for paint, so save the more expensive clay for paint. Much like not using expensive micro fiber for wheels.
That's the only advantage in my mind (I have not used it). I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything by not using wheel specific clay.

embolism
01-17-2011, 12:04 AM
you can also keep the clay that's too dirty for your paint and use it for your glass or wheels...

C. Charles Hahn
01-17-2011, 12:53 AM
you can also keep the clay that's too dirty for your paint and use it for your glass or wheels...

Dirty clay is dirty clay, I don't care what it's been used on. I've had dirty clay scratch wheels before, so now my policy is to use clean clay no matter what I'm working on.

jimmyjam
01-17-2011, 04:44 AM
I agree with Shiny Lil Detlr, I'll use the clay on the paint first, and if it picks up to much oxidation, sap, fall out, etc... I'll replace it. Then I'll use replaced clay on the glass, and then move to the wheels, and so forth. Dirty clay from your paint can still scratch your glass/wheels. I believe the same clay that'll clean your paint will clean your glass/wheels. Now there's different clays as far as aggressiveness (is that a word?) which have more grab to them, for severe oxidation/contaminates.

Rsurfer
01-17-2011, 04:58 AM
I agree with Shiny Lil Detlr, I'll use the clay on the paint first, and if it picks up to much oxidation, sap, fall out, etc... I'll replace it. Then I'll use replaced clay on the glass, and then move to the wheels, and so forth. Dirty clay from your paint can still scratch your glass/wheels. I believe the same clay that'll clean your paint will clean your glass/wheels. Now there's different clays as far as aggressiveness (is that a word?) which have more grab to them, for severe oxidation/contaminates.
Are you saying that dirty clay from your glass will not scratch your wheels? BTW, aggressiveness is a word.

jimmyjam
01-17-2011, 05:06 AM
Are you saying that dirty clay from your glass will not scratch your wheels? BTW, aggressiveness is a word.

Dirty clay is dirty clay, and the possibility for scratching paint/glass/wheels is likely. What I was trying to say is that I'll use the same clay bar (piece) on the paint to the glass, and finish it off with wheels, but if the clay is to contaminated I'll replace it with a new. Thanks I never had to use the word "aggressiveness" :xyxthumbs:

embolism
01-17-2011, 10:03 AM
hmm, never knew my wheels were so delicate. With the amount of brake dust on and inside my front rims (I don't think the inside was cleaned for 3 years) they looked good as new after scrubbing them down with my wheel well brush and APC

so wrt hardness/susceptibility to scratching would the order be paint, wheels, then glass? But even so, since the wheels are most likely to have contaminants that would be picked up and then scratch anything else you are to use it on, say glass, that's why the order is paint, glass, wheels as long as the clay is not contaminated...

common sense but sometimes it's good to go over it in your head. There have been times when I'm just working on autopilot and then go oops, but by then it's too late...

jimmyjam
01-17-2011, 05:10 PM
hmm, never knew my wheels were so delicate. With the amount of brake dust on and inside my front rims (I don't think the inside was cleaned for 3 years) they looked good as new after scrubbing them down with my wheel well brush and APC

so wrt hardness/susceptibility to scratching would the order be paint, wheels, then glass? But even so, since the wheels are most likely to have contaminants that would be picked up and then scratch anything else you are to use it on, say glass, that's why the order is paint, glass, wheels as long as the clay is not contaminated...

common sense but sometimes it's good to go over it in your head. There have been times when I'm just working on autopilot and then go oops, but by then it's too late...

I'm referring to wheels that have painted/clear coat finishes are more susceptible to scratches, but that's my opinion. Clay however you seem fit.