PDA

View Full Version : swirl removal

lvmyavalon
01-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Feed back pleasebeen doing my homework & have a good idea of direction.I know the best way to decide is get input.OK,I have this 2007 toyota avalon.Looks great,but close up swirls & scratches.I'm dying to get after this!!!!! I can't decide on the products to use.This is first time I will be doing this.Read ALL the info here on site & looked at videos.So who has the best results with what products.Pinnacle,wolfgang ? or something else.the car is a phantom grey pearl.not real dark,but not light.I will be getting the pc 7424 buffer.

jimmyjam
01-16-2011, 01:43 PM
How much correction are you trying to achieve?

embolism
01-16-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm new here too and have been reading the Mike Philips articles. Have also gathered that many ppl like the Meg twins 105/205 but I wanted something that gave me options for 1 or 2 stage polishing depending on how much time I had so I went with the Menzerna twins power finish/106FA. What sealed it for me was the detail Matt did on a trashed IS350. Mine is not nearly as bad as that one and since I don't plan to polish that often, I figured I could go with the smaller 16 oz sizes that the Menz twins come packaged as...

Since you have an avalon, your clearcoat is probably softer like the lexus but I would still search for your specific car and also do a test patch when you decide on your products and process...

lvmyavalon
01-16-2011, 04:13 PM
the swirls & scratches look to me like normal effects you would get from your standard car wash.Nothing really bad.I suppose a normal person would not even be bothered.I just feel it can really be improved to the way it was originally.The car had no wax on it when I got it june of 10.The brake dust on the wheels was unbelievable.I think just they drove it & washed it at the local car wash now & then.

mg6045
01-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Megs 105 and 205 have a fairly steep learning curve IMO. So for a beginner I would definitely not recommend them. Some may disagree, but I just feel that way because of the lack of "working time" both of these products (more so 105) have.

I think the best choice would be to get the Menzerna SIP/106 combo for a two step correction. And for a 1 step correction I would get the Menzerna Power Finish.

Both of those products work GREAT, and are easy to use with a long buffing cycle. IMO , these are the easiest fool proof products to learn with. While its going to take good technique to get great results with the products, they offer a pretty big learning curve to get used to with. and You wont have to worry much about dry buffing.

My favorite product line on Autogeek is Wolfgang. All of there exterior car care products are top notch IMO. And very easy to use. They offer polish's with there product line that are even more user friendly than the Menzerna. BUT keep in mind there polish is made by Menzerna and is often compared to the combo I suggested up top (SIP/106). Cut and gloss is the same. The wolfgang polish is said to have more oils in them so there more user friendly, but to be honest, both products seem the same to me. I actually find the Menzeran 106 really nice to work with.

Also keep in mind that the Wolfgang polish's are twice the price of the "similar or same" Menzerna counterparts. So my suggestion would be to get the 16oz Menzerna polish's.

For the SIP/106 combo (or wolfgang), the simplest pad choice would be a Orange 5.5" flat Lake Country pad for the SIP, and a white 5.5" flat Lake Country pad for the 106 (or Gray if you have very workable or soft paint, cant hurt to have both white and gray on hand). If you are working on a ceramic clear coat I would suggest the Cyan and Tangerine Lake Country Hydo-tech pads.

For the Power finish (203, 1 step product), you can tailor the pad to what you need. but a white pad would be recommended imo. If you use a tangerine HT pad, you will get more cut and finish even better.

Hope that helps keep things simple for you. With a polish, I like to keep things simple with the pad and product selection. There are so many different combinations that can be used it will make you dizzy, but this combo is tried and trued by many people and it works.

You can also use the Power finish (203) in place of the SIP. If this works well, you can avoid having to buy the SIP. So I would make this the first order :
(these are very good prices in this combo)

Menzerna Power Finish & Super Finish Bundle, Menzerna Polishing Compounds, Menzerna PO203 & PO106FA, car polishes (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-polish-bundle2.html)

The SIP (Super Intensive Polish) is only offered in a 32oz bottle at AG, and IMO is stronger than the Power Finish, but usually need to be followed up forcing a 2-step correction. You may not need it, because the Power finish is not that far off in terms of cut. But here is the link :

Menzerna Super Intensive Polish, Menzerna PO 83 , Mernzerna PO85RD 3.02 (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-super-intensive-polish.html)

For a DA polisher like the PC, these are the most effective pads going. (besides the Hydro-Tech, which i prefer more). You will want the 6 pack at this price. I would start with Orange, white, and gray pads :

Lake Country 5 1/2 x 7/8 inch Beveled Edge Pads 6 Pack, foam pad kit, build a kit, buffing pads, curved edge pads (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-beveled-pad-kit.html)

For Hydro-Tech pads, heres the link. These may work better on your paint, and finish out better.

Lake Country Hydro-Tech 5 1/2 x 7/8 Inch Foam Pads , hydrotech foam pads for water-based polishes, lake country foam pads, buffing pads (http://www.autogeek.net/hydrotech-low-profile-pads.html)

You will need this backing plate to work with these pads :

lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backin plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate (http://www.autogeek.net/lc43125.html)

jkk7479
01-16-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm a big advocate of the the Wolfgang Twins. Wolfgang Total Swirl Remove and Finishing Glaze would great on my Dark Grey Nissan. Makes the paint smooth and shiny. Mike even has a video of it when he used them on a Black Lexus. That just my $0.02.:props:

lvmyavalon
01-16-2011, 05:13 PM
WOW!!! Thanks for the info.I have been leaning towards the wolfgang products.Thanks especially for the pad & plate info.I was concerned about getting the proper equipment.There is so much to learn.:urtheman:

mg6045
01-16-2011, 07:58 PM
WOW!!! Thanks for the info.I have been leaning towards the wolfgang products.Thanks especially for the pad & plate info.I was concerned about getting the proper equipment.There is so much to learn.:urtheman:
keep in mind that the wolfgang and Menzerna polish's are basically the same thing.

Wolfgang TSR = Menzerna SIP
Wolfgang FGlaze = Menzerna 106

I too would suggest the wolfgang if money is no issue and your not trying to save every penny for more accessories. From what I understand Wolfgang has a bit more lubrication for further ease of use. I own both products but dont have a lot of time put in on the Wolfgang polish's to be able to tell you my own personal opinion on there performance differences.

But if your a systems type of guy (like me in a way) , Wolfgang is the way to go imo , here on Autogeek. They have the ENTIRE exterior of your car COVERED (litterally :)).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/Giorgi80/DSC00526.jpg

embolism
01-16-2011, 08:47 PM
wow mg, you basically just described the order I put in Sat night. Got the Griots, Menz powerfinish/106FA, 5 inch LC backing plate and the 6 pack of 5.5 LC pads (but got 2 orange, 2 white and 2 black -- did not see a gray?)

glad to know that all the research I did eventually got me to the right place. Learned tonnes along the way too. Can't wait for spring!

mg6045
01-16-2011, 09:17 PM
wow mg, you basically just described the order I put in Sat night. Got the Griots, Menz powerfinish/106FA, 5 inch LC backing plate and the 6 pack of 5.5 LC pads (but got 2 orange, 2 white and 2 black -- did not see a gray?)

glad to know that all the research I did eventually got me to the right place. Learned tonnes along the way too. Can't wait for spring!

nice cant wait for spring as well !!

yes, in the 5.5" pads there black. sometimes there referenced as "gray" in larger sizes or different style pads from Lake Country. They are for the same intended purpose. which is a finishing foam/pad.

Sounds like you got some very good products coming that are proven to produce good results ! :)

I also have the Griots polisher ! :)

Kristopher1129
01-16-2011, 11:11 PM
MG105 with a wool pad, MG205 with a yellow foam with a rotary. Use an orbital, and polish a nice sealant or wax. Should do the trick!

If you haven't used a rotary, or MG105...Then I may stray from that option. Maybe practice on something else first? If you're not careful you can really cause damage. I'm not trying to strike fear into a fellow detailer passionate to learn...I'm just saying go slow, and be careful. You'll get it done. :props:

embolism
01-16-2011, 11:56 PM
nice cant wait for spring as well !!

yes, in the 5.5" pads there black. sometimes there referenced as "gray" in larger sizes or different style pads from Lake Country. They are for the same intended purpose. which is a finishing foam/pad.

Sounds like you got some very good products coming that are proven to produce good results ! :)

I also have the Griots polisher ! :)

Yeah, i seem to have picked up all the forum essentials, FK425, PB BH, Natty's Blue, 303 Aero, Guzzlers, grit guards, you name it...

What's better about the hydrotech LCs over the ones I got? I must admit with the tally adding up, i kinda went for quantity with the 6 pack for $35 bucks...

lvmyavalon
01-17-2011, 04:51 PM
As much as I would like to heat the garage.I think I'll save my funds for the worfgang products & hold out till spring.Ive got a small heater that keeps it around 40 degrees when it is 20 outside.When I really need to get the salt off it gets the job done.It wouldn't be much fun to try & do a nice detail at that temp.My only regret is that last summer when I purchased my car.I went out & bought things I won't use now.Should have stopped here first.Oh well.live & learn.Thanks again all !!!!!! time to go shovel snow :(