PDA

View Full Version : Wait for spring ?

lvmyavalon
01-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Having discovered rinseless wash,has made my life much happier.I am able to keep my garage at 40 degrees and get all that salt off anytime I please.I am anxious to start work on the paint swirls on my 07 Avalon,but it seems to me that all these products act differently in cold weather.I learned not to use hot water when washing a really cold car.It fogs up(Daaaaaaa)I was wondering if I should just sit tight & stay in protection mode until spring.I will be getting the porter cable7424 along with what ever other products I choose.It just seems the wax and other products don't spread or come off as easy.New guy so take it easy on me.Thanks.Like they say.The only dumb question is the one you don't askFeed back please

SeaJay's
01-16-2011, 08:53 AM
I would wait until spring if I were you. Considering that you live in a winter wonderland like me all your hard work will be some what ruined by the salt, sand, and road grime. I polished my truck in the fall and after two huge snow storms and driving around on our crappy roads, my truck has some minor scratches and swirls.

But if your dying to go at it, go ahead. Good practice and you can always do it again later on. I would suggest getting a space heater for your garage. I have a propane one I got at home depot for around $100. Allows me to get my garage up to around 60-65 degrees. Makes working way more comfortable.

mg6045
01-16-2011, 11:37 AM
I would wait until spring if I were you. Considering that you live in a winter wonderland like me all your hard work will be some what ruined by the salt, sand, and road grime. I polished my truck in the fall and after two huge snow storms and driving around on our crappy roads, my truck has some minor scratches and swirls.

But if your dying to go at it, go ahead. Good practice and you can always do it again later on. I would suggest getting a space heater for your garage. I have a propane one I got at home depot for around $100. Allows me to get my garage up to around 60-65 degrees. Makes working way more comfortable.

Great advice, I got 2 heaters as well.

off the top of my head, I cant remember the brand, but they were cheap and there low to the ground and like 4 feet long and mimic the look of a radiator that runs the floorboard.

I turn them on 1 to 2 hours before making my way into the garage. I can get my garage to about 60 to 65 degrees F with them (my garage is sealed VERY well, and is part of my house). Makes using products MUCH better.

BobbyG
01-16-2011, 12:31 PM
I picked up one of these for my garage the other day and in as little as 20 minutes I can take my garage from 35 degrees to 65 degrees. I have a 3 car garage with an open ceiling and it needs more insulation up above but this heater has no problem warming things right up.

The key to these heaters is not only to warm the air but also to raise the temperature of everything that's cold to the same temperature as the surrounding air. It does take some time for everything to stabilize but everything is stable in about 1 hour which isn't all that bad.

I never use it about the lowest setting.

I bought this one at Lowe's.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/Heater.jpg

125000 BTU Forced Air Propane Heater

CSA Certified
Dual Heat Technology
12 hours with 40 lb propane tank
20/40/100 lb propane cylinder (not included)
3 heat settings (70k, 100k & 125k BTUs)
Protective ABS plastic shell with carry handle
Sturdy, rugged construction with adjustable heat angle
Easy to use with no assembly required
10 ft hose and regulator assembly included
Safety tip shut off and back pressure switch

dougaross
01-16-2011, 12:51 PM
I picked up one of these for my garage the other day and in as little as 20 minutes I can take my garage from 35 degrees to 65 degrees. I have a 3 car garage with an open ceiling and it needs more insulation up above but this heater has no problem warming things right up.

The key to these heaters is not only to warm the air but also to raise the temperature of everything that's cold to the same temperature as the surrounding air. It does take some time for everything to stabilize but everything is stable in about 1 hour which isn't all that bad.

I never use it about the lowest setting.

I bought this one at Lowe's.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/BobbyG53/Detailing/Heater.jpg

125000 BTU Forced Air Propane Heater

CSA Certified
Dual Heat Technology
12 hours with 40 lb propane tank
20/40/100 lb propane cylinder (not included)
3 heat settings (70k, 100k & 125k BTUs)
Protective ABS plastic shell with carry handle
Sturdy, rugged construction with adjustable heat angle
Easy to use with no assembly required
10 ft hose and regulator assembly included
Safety tip shut off and back pressure switch

How much did it cost? Does it hook up to a barbeque propane tank?

BobbyG
01-16-2011, 12:57 PM
How much did it cost? Does it hook up to a barbeque propane tank?

I think I paid about $175.00 for it and the hose that comes with it easily connects to a standard 20# propane tank. Initially that's how I fire it up and then bought a 40# tank just to go longer between fill-ups.

I bought it just after Christmas and have used it 5 or 6 times and still have 3/4 of a 40# tank left. My only complaint is not buying it years ago.....:props: