PDA

View Full Version : Made the steamer plunge....

Double Dizzle
01-16-2011, 01:04 AM
After reading alot about others using them, I've been looking for a good deal on a consumer-model steamer. I finally got a great deal on eBay on a brand new Wagner 905 for $64 shipped. Not bad, eh? Can't wait to try it out inside the house and on some vehicles. My wife's neglected interior will probably be first to give the Wagner a workout.

J1nx93
01-16-2011, 02:15 AM
Let me know how it does. I considered buying one for door jambs and cloth but I think I'll stick with brushes and shop vacs for now. I only do it for fun and my vehicle interior rarely is that dirty. Let me know how it works on engines too!

goathead
01-16-2011, 06:03 AM
I got one with Visa rewards points and I've been happy with it. Cleans awesome around the kitchen, amazing job cleaning the gas grill. Works well for door jambs, panels, cup holders, pedals...pretty versatile little machine. Worth the $60 IMO.

jimmyjam
01-16-2011, 06:48 AM
Their cool especially when the steam pours out of the car while cleaning and the neighbors come over to see what you have that's making all that steam. :dblthumb2: After the steam cools purge the units pressure, so you don't accidentally open the reservoir to refill it later on, and SPLASH water everywhere!

SeaJay's
01-16-2011, 10:17 AM
I have one of these as well. I honeslty don't use it too much. It takes awhile for it to heat up. But when I do have a nasty interior or some extra stubborn stain I'll use it. It's awesome for engine detailing though.

My gf uses it more around the house than I actually use it for detailing. But it's nice to have around in case I do need it.

GaDetailDoc
01-16-2011, 10:59 AM
My wife has a pretty nice unit which she uses around the house. I have used to assist with engine degreasing and it works alright. It just seams that the steam does not last too long. I also found that you have to rely on chemicals to do their job as the steamer is ineffective by itself.

SATMAN40
01-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Costco sells one like that for about 70 bucks, we use it to clean rentals, works great on stoves, and tile.

Have used it on the vehicles, does a nice job...also cleans glass

Would not use it on carpets, the Mytee works best, steam spreads the stain many times., we try to blot it out...

TLMitchell
01-16-2011, 03:54 PM
After reading alot about others using them, I've been looking for a good deal on a consumer-model steamer. I finally got a great deal on eBay on a brand new Wagner 905 for $64 shipped. Not bad, eh? Can't wait to try it out inside the house and on some vehicles. My wife's neglected interior will probably be first to give the Wagner a workout.

The Wagner 905 appears to be virtually identical to the McCollough and SteamFast units. Only difference appears to be the accessories. While it's a useful device don't expect miracles compared to some of the higher priced units. The budget models really need a better selection of attachments.

While "diapering" an attachment with a towel is useful for cleaning carpets and interiors I've yet to master keeping the cloth on the attachment in a way steam won't escape. The McCollough has a decent attachment with velcroed MF pads for doing floors, one of the best uses I've found for it. It's a bit of a pain in the neck getting out the steamer, filling, waiting for it to heat up as well as waiting for the budget models to reheat often while using unless you're doing a larger job. And trying to see what you're doing while enveloped by a steam cloud is challenging.

Steam is definitely the ticket for cleaning though! I expect I'll upgrade to a VX5000 eventually... adjustable pressure and a better selection of attachments would make a unit much more useful and I'd be more inclined to pull it out more often for smaller jobs. The budget models are a good trial unit for the price, IMO, but as with everything, you get what you pay for. YMMV.

TL

mcpp66
01-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Steam is definitely the ticket for cleaning though! I expect I'll upgrade to a VX5000 eventually... adjustable pressure and a better selection of attachments would make a unit much more useful and I'd be more inclined to pull it out more often for smaller jobs. The budget models are a good trial unit for the price, IMO, but as with everything, you get what you pay for. YMMV.

TL

The VX5000 is the best tool in my arsenal. It's pricey, but very much worth it. Although, I didn't buy mine, it was a gift.

WJave
01-16-2011, 08:12 PM
I've been looking getting a steamer for the cars, bird cages and other stuff around the house. May have to check this one out.

outlander
01-17-2011, 05:41 AM
How does the steamer work to clean door jams or engines? Do you apply any sort of cleaner to the vehicle? Just curious, since I'am also interested in buying a Wagner.

GaDetailDoc
01-17-2011, 09:42 AM
How does the steamer work to clean door jams or engines? Do you apply any sort of cleaner to the vehicle? Just curious, since I'am also interested in buying a Wagner.

You would have to use a degreasing product, which will help to loosen grease, oil residue etc...and then use the steamer to release contaminants. Afterward, you would rinse thoroughly with water. Just be care with electrical or any part which may be impacted by applying any cleaning solution and water.

Dan Metzler
01-17-2011, 11:26 PM
I purchased the Wagner 905 steamer about a month ago. I have used it for cars and around the house with no major complaints.

My only gripe is when using the steamer and you let it sit for a minute then pick it back up to use it, the initial press of the trigger is all water for about 5 to 8 seconds.