PDA

View Full Version : Optimum fanbois...questions re: ONR, etc.

Pages : [1] 2

builthatch
01-15-2011, 05:14 PM
k, so i'm curious, do any of you juice up your regular wash with some ONR? if so, what kind of ratios, what kind of shampoo, etc.

do you prefer the ONR dilution for a QD as opposed to optimum's instant detailer?

have you tried any combinations of any of the optimum chemicals (OID, ONR) and optimum car wax as a drying partner? like, mixed in a bottle type of combination.

thanks

ScottB
01-15-2011, 05:32 PM
I use to add a capful to normal wash for extra lubrication when car was/is very dirty.

Crazy Amos
01-15-2011, 06:59 PM
Sorry man, I am a newbie to ONR too.

Good thread!

Chris Thomas
01-15-2011, 07:13 PM
k, so i'm curious, do any of you juice up your regular wash with some ONR? if so, what kind of ratios, what kind of shampoo, etc.

do you prefer the ONR dilution for a QD as opposed to optimum's instant detailer?

have you tried any combinations of any of the optimum chemicals (OID, ONR) and optimum car wax as a drying partner? like, mixed in a bottle type of combination.

thanks

I would if I had hard water because it is a softner...but I don't have hard water so if I want extra lube, I just use more shampoo.

I do not prefer ONR QD to OID. ONR QD is fine if thats all you have or if you are trying to cut down on inventory (it does clean very well, too), but OID shines and glows like fresh wax.

I had a OID+ONR formula that worked great as a Waterless Wash, but stopped mixing it up when OptiClean came out. I wouldn't recommend mixing anything with OCW because it is a very specific formula to do what it does. With that said, there is nothing wrong with using it to wax as you dry. Beyond that you can mix PoliSeal 70% with Polish II 30% for an AIO with nice cut. You can add 1oz of denatured alcohol to 32oz of Opticlean (ready to use, not concentrate) for a total interior cleaner safe for glass and navi screens.

Is that the type of stuff you were looking for?

rwright
01-15-2011, 08:09 PM
I would if I had hard water because it is a softner...but I don't have hard water so if I want extra lube, I just use more shampoo.

I do not prefer ONR QD to OID. ONR QD is fine if thats all you have or if you are trying to cut down on inventory (it does clean very well, too), but OID shines and glows like fresh wax.

I had a OID+ONR formula that worked great as a Waterless Wash, but stopped mixing it up when OptiClean came out. I wouldn't recommend mixing anything with OCW because it is a very specific formula to do what it does. With that said, there is nothing wrong with using it to wax as you dry. Beyond that you can mix PoliSeal 70% with Polish II 30% for an AIO with nice cut. You can add 1oz of denatured alcohol to 32oz of Opticlean (ready to use, not concentrate) for a total interior cleaner safe for glass and navi screens.

This is great info Chris. I need to get back over to the Optimum place since I am starting to use more and more products.

Crazy Amos
01-15-2011, 08:20 PM
This is great info Chris. I need to get back over to the Optimum place since I am starting to use more and more products.

What is Optimum place? Is it a store?

Chris Thomas
01-15-2011, 11:08 PM
He was just referring to Optimum forums I think.

builthatch
02-17-2011, 12:25 AM

Chris, thanks for this. i didn't know you replied until i searched for this thread tonight, lol.

what spurred the last part of my original post was i've had a bottle of OCW for a couple years that since day one has streaked. the only thing that would help it would be to follow with OID. no bones about it, it streaked. i've gone through bottles of OCW since without any issue, it is FANTASTIC stuff, but not until somewhat recently as i avoided OCW for a couple years because of this original strange bottle.

well, it has been sitting on my shelf for so long with about 6oz left in it. i didn't know what to do with it so i decided to make this thread a while back. finally tonight i decided to mix 3:1 OID (i usually use 4:1) and cut the wax 1:1 with the OID.

it solved the problem completely, now, how much protection will this mixture give? who knows, but at least i know i can use it for something, and that will be as an in-between, post wash, on my personal vehicles. meaning, i use OCW every few washes, post wash. and in-between that, i'll use this mix. i tried it tonight on my just washed and OCW'd truck in the garage and it seems a-ok.

Bates Detailing
02-17-2011, 12:35 AM
I use EcoWash - maybe a sin to speak of here..... but have always had ooohhhh's and aaahhhh's from it - even today a lady that washes her SUV twice a week apparently was amazed by the results. I've never tried ONR.... but EcoWash has got me through ALOT of cars with smiles and no complaints!

Chris Thomas
02-17-2011, 01:01 AM
Chris, thanks for this. i didn't know you replied until i searched for this thread tonight, lol.

what spurred the last part of my original post was i've had a bottle of OCW for a couple years that since day one has streaked. the only thing that would help it would be to follow with OID. no bones about it, it streaked. i've gone through bottles of OCW since without any issue, it is FANTASTIC stuff, but not until somewhat recently as i avoided OCW for a couple years because of this original strange bottle.

well, it has been sitting on my shelf for so long with about 6oz left in it. i didn't know what to do with it so i decided to make this thread a while back. finally tonight i decided to mix 3:1 OID (i usually use 4:1) and cut the wax 1:1 with the OID.

it solved the problem completely, now, how much protection will this mixture give? who knows, but at least i know i can use it for something, and that will be as an in-between, post wash, on my personal vehicles. meaning, i use OCW every few washes, post wash. and in-between that, i'll use this mix. i tried it tonight on my just washed and OCW'd truck in the garage and it seems a-ok.

OID is a concentrated product so it can be cut with water as needed. I think OCW will suffer from the dilution even though you're cutting it with a cousin. It will most likely look fine but durability will suffer somewhat. I cannot say precisely how much though. It may do exactly what you need it to. As for the streaking, I spray the panel, spread the product over the panel, flip my towel and buff till it disappears. This method never streaks for me. Are you having streaks appear later or are you not buffing till there is no sign of product? If we can nail down the error we can easily fix it. Maybe the towel is damp? Are you letting it sit or haze before you buff (not necessary with OCW)?

Sent from my ViP4 viaTapatalk

builthatch
02-17-2011, 01:29 AM
OID is a concentrated product so it can be cut with water as needed. I think OCW will suffer from the dilution even though you're cutting it with a cousin. It will most likely look fine but durability will suffer somewhat. I cannot say precisely how much though. It may do exactly what you need it to. As for the streaking, I spray the panel, spread the product over the panel, flip my towel and buff till it disappears. This method never streaks for me. Are you having streaks appear later or are you not buffing till there is no sign of product? If we can nail down the error we can easily fix it. Maybe the towel is damp? Are you letting it sit or haze before you buff (not necessary with OCW)?

Chris thanks.

as i said, i've used a couple bottles of OCW in the past few months and had no problems. it's extremely easy to use and offers gorgeous shine and slickness. it was this one bottle from long ago that was a problem from day one and i never quite understood why. it smeared and streaked no matter what i did. and like i said, i know how to use it (it's pretty hard not to, imo). my process is exactly like yours.

so, that said, it was just sitting there so i made do with this mix. i don't think i'll really get to test the durability since my personal vehicles are on a regular OCW maintenance schedule - about once a month it gets hit with the OCW post-wash, any washes in-between get OID while drying. so for those in-between washes i'll just use this until it runs out. i was pleased to see this hybrid mix buff off super easily just like OID or OCW, so it can't hurt to use it.

Chris Thomas
02-17-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm sorry rotor the troubles and glad you found a solution. In the future, if you find that one of our products doesn't work as directed, just contact me for a replacement. It's hard to say what the issue was since you didn't have problems with other bottles, but we certainly don't want you stuck with something you don't like or can't use.

weavers
02-17-2011, 11:49 AM
I just use 2 gallons of water and 2 Tablespoons of ONR. If the car is really dirty and I am going to wax it I will spray the car with APC(garden sprayer) use a hose to rinse and then either do an 1bucket ONR or do a 2 bucket ONR+car soap(manufacturer recommendation, but I don't like this cause I need to rinse again, but if its really really dirty its worth doing) Then clay, ipa wipe down, dry, and wax.

For drying I rarely use any drying aids. Even if I wash in full sun light on a hot day. If I do get any spots, then I spray ONR, wash solution. I use the wash solution strength for pre rinse, for washing, for clay lube, for interior wipe down, and for wheels that have been waxed. It works fine every time, unless the car is really dirty, like +2months of dirt or never been waxed.

builthatch
02-17-2011, 12:25 PM
I use the wash solution strength for pre rinse, for washing, for clay lube, for interior wipe down, and for wheels that have been waxed. It works fine every time, unless the car is really dirty, like +2months of dirt or never been waxed.

i agree it's extremely versatile.

In the future, if you find that one of our products doesn't work as directed, just contact me for a replacement. It's hard to say what the issue was since you didn't have problems with other bottles, but we certainly don't want you stuck with something you don't like or can't use.

pretty much everything i've ever gotten from optimum, which is practically my entire collection, has worked flawlessly and met or exceeded expectations except this one old bottle of spray wax. best line in detailing, imo.

thanks all.

weavers
02-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Only bad thing about ONR is that it doesn't work well as a glass cleaner. It streaks a bit. I've tried adding two teaspoons into IPA/distiled water 50:50, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I didn't notice any additional cleaning benefit or any additional beading on glass.