PDA

View Full Version : KAIO/KSG as base then...

embolism
01-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Ok had this whole plan worked out for my first real detail in the spring then along came the Jan20 sale code and now the plan's gone out the window cause I just picked up a tonne of products I've been reading about on here...

So after I wash/clay and correct my car in the spring with the Menz twins (Power finish/106FA), I was thinking of laying down a base of KAIO and maybe a few coats of KSG. Over the course of the season, I would then put on toppers (PB BH, Natty's Blue, Liquid Souveran, WGDGPS, IW845 etc.) to see what looks best.

Am I wasting my time here? I purposely stayed away from Natty's blue liquid b/c it said it had mild cleaners in it and I don't want my toppers to take off the base of KAIO and KSG that I plan to put on. In your experience, do any of the toppers I've listed above contain cleaners that you know of?

Oh, I'll also probably be using DG AW after washes, and maybe FK425 btw washes too!

Thanks

TornadoRed
01-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Am I wasting my time here? I purposely stayed away from Natty's blue liquid b/c it said it had mild cleaners in it and I don't want my toppers to take off the base of KAIO and KSG that I plan to put on. In your experience, do any of the toppers I've listed above contain cleaners that you know of?

PB BH says it cleans.

jlb85
01-15-2011, 01:29 PM
KAIO will also clean and can change your paint surface after your finishing polish. It will be fine as long as you plan accordingly and take it into account (i.e. inspecting good and 50/50 with the KAIO). If anything just use the klasse glaze and top that later.

embolism
01-16-2011, 08:54 PM
thanks guys, I'll probably just layer on the glaze after polishing then top it during the summer.

For winter prep I'll break out the AIO/KSG/Collinite

bhrees
01-16-2011, 11:00 PM
Once you have the AIO and the first coat of KSG on when you want to add another layer you just wash t and lay it on ? meaning you dont have to do the layers before driving it ..lol i know its kind of a silly question but im not sure

embolism
01-16-2011, 11:41 PM
not a silly question but I plan to put on the AIO, wait about 30 minutes, then put on the KSG, then put KSG on again early the next morning (might do a quick detail beforehand to get rid of any dust).

If you don't have time to put your layers on over consecutive days then you can use the car then wash it but you don't want to do anything to take off the sealant.

Also, goes without saying but if the car is not glassy smooth after washing (baggie test the horizontal panels) then you'd be sealing in those surface bonded contaminants...

maybe I'm being a little AR but if you're going to go through all the work, it's gotta be done right...

bhrees
01-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Thanks!
today i did a Klasse AOI then a single coat of the KSG, but i want to add another layer but i have to drive it before i can add that second coat :-(
Maybe i should call in sick and get two more layers on!

embolism
01-16-2011, 11:59 PM
tomorrow is supposed to be the most depressing day of the year. Call in sick and get er done!

embolism
01-17-2011, 10:47 AM
So, still reading and looking to refine my process

am now finding that people like to prep their paint after polishing. Some use IPA, APC, paint cleaners, final inspection sprays, etc

isn't KAIO a paint cleaner too? Polishing properties are minimal at best so the chemical cleaning should be similar to a paint cleaner non? Bought it a couple months ago and haven't used it yet so I had to read up on it again and it says it doesn't change your paint and is the recommended base for KSG...

screw it, maybe I'll just put WGDGPS and toppers on for the summer and save the Klasse for winter prep...