PDA

View Full Version : Glass polishing

Jeff120
01-15-2011, 11:53 AM
My truck windshield is all scratched up. I would like to try polishing it. I have the glass science scrub. I used it once or twice by hand and it didnt really do much other then clean. I was thinking of buying some glass polishing pads, either the Lake Country, or the Griots for my DA. Are these any good? Should I use my regular CCS pads first? Do I need a specific glass polish or will Megs UC work just as well?
Thanks

Setec Astronomy
01-15-2011, 12:18 PM
IMO you need the specific pads, polish, and a rotary if you want to remove defects. DA/foam pad, even with the specific polish, didn't do anything for me (other than make it clean and shiny, as you noted).

Jons6.7
01-15-2011, 03:41 PM
I used a orange CCS with Griots glass polish via PC and it worked awsome! Not sure how much better a "glass" pad could be but I am very picky and am its turned out great. I tried Klasse SG on it but rain-x is better.

Kurt_s
01-15-2011, 03:48 PM
I used a orange CCS with Griots glass polish via PC and it worked awsome! Not sure how much better a "glass" pad could be but I am very picky and am its turned out great. I tried Klasse SG on it but rain-x is better.

Did the orange CCS pad with GG glass polish remove scratches or just make the glass look clean? I have tiny pin point chips (like it's been sand blasted) in my windshield from all the crap that comes off trucks in the LA traffic. I'm planning to replace the windshield but I was wondering if these glass polishing pads and polishes would remove the little dots.

Jons6.7
01-15-2011, 03:52 PM
It removed alot of then but other than sanding you'll never get them all. That said it did make the glass much smoother and it looks as clear as when I got it new off the lot. You live about 15miles from me and the work on the 118 here in Simi is really "nice" on our cars.

Kurt_s
01-15-2011, 04:17 PM
It removed alot of then but other than sanding you'll never get them all. That said it did make the glass much smoother and it looks as clear as when I got it new off the lot. You live about 15miles from me and the work on the 118 here in Simi is really "nice" on our cars.

Yes, LA freeways are soooo nice to our cars. I can get the windshield clean with bon ami but I may have to invest in a new windshield if I want a truly clear window.

Thanks!

Finemess
01-15-2011, 07:23 PM
I left Simi in 1978, use to live up in the Texas tract off Tapo.