PDA

View Full Version : Car Jump Starters

aceshigh73
12-16-2006, 09:53 AM
If anyone has any experience with those Car "Jump Starters" that you carry with you in the car, I would love to hear about it....
Im trying to decide on brand and type.... B&D sells a few different types (including one that just plugs into your cig lighter and jumps your car after 10 mins.) and there are other brands as well..... (attach to battery terminals directly, but only take a few mins).
This will be a gift for my brother-in-law for Christmas......

Thanks
Mike

William's_Detail
12-16-2006, 10:02 AM
I have a Solar ES2500 and they work great. Available at most auto parts stores. Beware the cheap ones, the battery won't last.

Waxmax
12-16-2006, 11:08 AM
I've used the type that has a self contained battery for several years. The battery in the $100 ones seems to last about 4 years and the cheapies ($35-$40) ones 1.5 to two years.

If you are hesitant to use jumper cables...particularly to start someone else's vehicle, they can be handy. It's nice security to have, but it is something to keep a check on (test and charge up every 3 months). IMO, the ones that plug into each car's cigarette lighter take too long to work and of course both cig lighter outlets must be operational. I also still pack jumper cables.

ScottB
12-16-2006, 12:33 PM
I always thought one could be beneficial for the garage. While driving, well lets hope the Roadside Assistance and Warranty never run out. With GM products and Florida heat, I never get more than 18 months before battery replacement. Glad I upgrade to Optimums.

abrcrombe
12-16-2006, 12:34 PM
LOL, I need one of these for my GF. We were stuck in a parking lot for 45 minutes because of this... :)

ger42
02-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Wife got one from QVC. Used it to start a waitress's car at a diner my brother had stopped in for lunch. Worked great.

Bags
02-25-2007, 11:27 PM
I actually had to use one this weekend. I don't know which brand it was but it had no problem starting our 2005 Expedition. Sam's Club sells 2 types I think.