PDA

View Full Version : cleaning

indianbayjoe
01-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Hi name is joe and im new to this forum.

The other day some mixed gas got spilled on the pasenger seat of my dodge pickup cloth seats. We soaked up as much as possible and it even ran through the seat and came out the bottom. I need to clean it today. A little cold to be driving around with the windowns open all the time. I was thinking of just making a mix of a good cleaner and putting a lot of it on the seat and scrubbing hoping that the cleaner and water will seep through the seat like the gas did. Am i on the right track? I am hoping the gas won't affect the foam in the seat.

Joe in northern ny

indianbayjoe
01-15-2011, 09:16 AM
I should mention i dont really care about the stain but the odor.

indianbayjoe
01-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Well i just did it. Mixed lestoil with hot water and douched out the seat till it ran out the bottom. scrubbed pretty good and then rinsed with hot water again till it ran out the bottom. Sucked out as much water as possible with the shop vac and now have the blower on it. Probably take two days to dry. I can handle the lestoil smell rather than the gas and oil. My hope is the lestoil will break up the gas/oil mix and let it run through the foam.

Matt
01-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Cool, so it's removed the smell?

Flash Gordon
01-15-2011, 12:46 PM
If your not concerned about the stain, then just give it a few days and the odor will go away on its own

You could also toss some charcoal briqutes around thye area and this will hekp suck up the odor. When its (charcoal) has done its job, youy can have a weenie roast to celebrate :hungry:

Mike Phillips
01-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Welcome to Autogeek Online!

:welcome:

RTexasF
01-15-2011, 01:52 PM
I had not heard of Lestoil prior to your post. The reviews on Amazon are very favorable other than the smell but that's subjective. I'm glad it worked and you brought some good information with you to share.

Welcome

indianbayjoe
01-16-2011, 07:25 AM
If your not concerned about the stain, then just give it a few days and the odor will go away on its own

You could also toss some charcoal briqutes around thye area and this will hekp suck up the odor. When its (charcoal) has done its job, youy can have a weenie roast to celebrate :hungry:

I incident has occurred before in another truck and its the two cycle oil odor that lingers for a long time. Bad headache. The lestoil seems to have done it and with the fan running all night the lestoil odor is diminishing quickly. The true test will be after the truck is closed up for a couple of days.

ShaunD
01-16-2011, 10:30 AM
Think I would have taken the seat out of the truck and cleaned it and let it air out as long as possible. This would have kept a lot of the odor from seeping into the rest of the interior. Try spraying some Febreze with the HD pet odor eliminators to get ride of the remaining smell from the 2 stroke mix and the cleaner you used. Or get some Dakota Odor Elim. product off AG.

Meghan
01-17-2011, 11:47 AM
:welcome:

indianbayjoe
01-18-2011, 06:51 AM
Well i think it worked. I spent 12 hours and 700 miles in the truck yesterday and there is just a small hint of the lestoil I did spray some fabreeze on Saturday and that helped. The idea of taking the seat out was probably a good one but i hadn't ever done that.

Thanks