PDA

View Full Version : Stained Paint... Pepper white

hbSean
01-14-2011, 08:47 PM
Hi!

So yesterday I was going to get a Clear bra installed on my Mini cooper but and when the installer peeled off the stripes from the hood we noticed yellowing above the hood scoop where the stripes had been..
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Stormtimmy/IMG_0070-1.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Stormtimmy/photo.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Stormtimmy/photoI.jpg

Since I had ordered a Griot's DA kit I thought I could try and polish it out with the DA and Griot's machine Polish 3
here are the results sorry for the crappy photos my camera took a dump today ><
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Stormtimmy/IMG_2268.jpg

Ill try to get better ones when my brother comes home with his camera..

anyways, Should I keep using Griot's Polish 3? It seems to work but I'm new to this and I don't know if polishing the same area allot will damage the paint?:buffing:
Feed back please

Thanks for you time :dblthumb2:

ShaunD
01-14-2011, 09:29 PM
That stinks. Should have left the stripes and put the bra over them.:)
If you are using any cutting pad with a polish repeatedly then it will eventually thin the clear coat.
I would recommend claying the yellowed areas real good like, and then polish with a good cleaner/wax or cleaner/polish. The idea would be to go least aggressive to more aggressive until you are satisfied or feel that you may runout of clear coat to polish. I would use a mild compound by hand if the cleaner wax/polish doesn't give results. If you have one of those handheld double sided compound/wax applicators that would be ideal to test something more aggressive with; just start gradual with pressure. God bless in your attempts.

Kristopher1129
01-14-2011, 09:34 PM
Hi!

So yesterday I was going to get a Clear bra installed on my Mini cooper but and when the installer peeled off the stripes from the hood we noticed yellowing above the hood scoop where the stripes had been..
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Stormtimmy/IMG_0070-1.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Stormtimmy/photo.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Stormtimmy/photoI.jpg

Since I had ordered a Griot's DA kit I thought I could try and polish it out with the DA and Griot's machine Polish 3
here are the results sorry for the crappy photos my camera took a dump today ><
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/Stormtimmy/IMG_2268.jpg

Ill try to get better ones when my brother comes home with his camera..

anyways, Should I keep using Griot's Polish 3? It seems to work but I'm new to this and I don't know if polishing the same area allot will damage the paint?:buffing:
Feed back please

Thanks for you time :dblthumb2:

I would try something chemical like acetone, thinner (carefully!), or even alcohol.

TornadoRed
01-14-2011, 09:38 PM
That stinks. Should have left the stripes and put the bra over them.:)
If you are using any cutting pad with a polish repeatedly then it will eventually thin the clear coat.
I would recommend claying the yellowed areas real good like, and then polish with a good cleaner/wax or cleaner/polish. The idea would be to go least aggressive to more aggressive until you are satisfied or feel that you may runout of clear coat to polish. I would use a mild compound by hand if the cleaner wax/polish doesn't give results. If you have one of those handheld double sided compound/wax applicators that would be ideal to test something more aggressive with; just start gradual with pressure. God bless in your attempts.

He already hit it with Griot's #3 and a DA. I doubt clay and cleaner wax would be an improvement.

OP,
Griot's #3 has the same cut as Megs 205. It's up to you to keep going but I think you might be ok. Be careful on the edges.

Dr Oldz
01-14-2011, 11:35 PM
I would try a non-abrasive polish such as Poorboys Pro Polish. Griots is a mechanical polish and maybe that will come clean without chewing away at your finish!

Crazy Amos
01-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Use the smallest pads you have as well

A4 1.8tqm
01-15-2011, 01:06 AM
My suggestion is to tape off a section of the discolored area. This way, as you continue to try and improve the area, you can have a definitive line to tell whether or not your making any progress.

Though I don't think you've gone too far, I might hold off on grinding down your clear with any harsher polishing. Try some AIO cleaners, as suggested and stuff with nourishing oils etc. like
All three of these products, M80, M03 or M07 are very rich in Meguiar's trade secret polishing oils Quoted section from Mike P. taken from this thread- http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/24259-can-anyone-tell-me-how-fix-single-stage-paint.html

I know it's a whole other subject (single stage paint), but it's worth a try. :xyxthunbs:

mg6045
01-15-2011, 01:47 AM
before moving to chemical cleaners, I would go for one nice shot of M105 and a yellow cutting pad. If one nice clean pass does not make any difference, than I might think about something besides mechanical abrasives.

Mini coopers are "traditionally" known to have rock hard clearcoats, so I doubt you even fazed it in the least bit with the Griots polish.

Is it possible for the clearcoat to soak in a stain ?

Kristopher1129
01-15-2011, 01:55 AM
before moving to chemical cleaners, I would go for one nice shot of M105 and a yellow cutting pad. If one nice clean pass does not make any difference, than I might think about something besides mechanical abrasives.

Mini coopers are "traditionally" known to have rock hard clearcoats, so I doubt you even fazed it in the least bit with the Griots polish.

Is it possible for the clearcoat to soak in a stain ?

I was thinking the same thing. My first thought was to hit it with a wool pad and some MG105. I'm just afraid he's gonna work it too hard and create damage. He mentioned being kinda new at this.

I figured a chemical would be safer. I use some stuff called Finish Pro...it's basically acetone. But, it usually will remove stains similar to this. I'm wondering myself if a stain can soak in. Hopefully not, I've never seen it. I can't imagine MG105 wouldn't clean that up. :xyxthumbs:

hbSean
01-15-2011, 02:40 AM
I did more polishing with a Orange pad and Griots 3 and it is better (hardly see it) under halogen lights, But ill see come morning..

I did talk to one guy "Shawn" from detailking.com and he said that most likely he would color sand it.. But that seemed a little much at the time...

I'll go out to look for detailing store so far I've come out short.

hbSean
01-15-2011, 02:58 AM
My suggestion is to tape off a section of the discolored area. This way, as you continue to try and improve the area, you can have a definitive line to tell whether or not your making any progress.

Though I don't think you've gone too far, I might hold off on grinding down your clear with any harsher polishing. Try some AIO cleaners, as suggested and stuff with nourishing oils etc. like Quoted section from Mike P. taken from this thread- http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/24259-can-anyone-tell-me-how-fix-single-stage-paint.html

I know it's a whole other subject (single stage paint), but it's worth a try. :xyxthunbs::dblthumb2: Ill give that a shot

Is it possible for the clearcoat to soak in a stain ?Sounds good, should I invest into a smaller pad/backing plate right now? All I have is the pads that came with the DA kit.

I was thinking the same thing. My first thought was to hit it with a wool pad and some MG105. I'm just afraid he's gonna work it too hard and create damage. He mentioned being kinda new at this.

I figured a chemical would be safer. I use some stuff called Finish Pro...it's basically acetone. But, it usually will remove stains similar to this. I'm wondering myself if a stain can soak in. Hopefully not, I've never seen it. I can't imagine MG105 wouldn't clean that up. :xyxthumbs:Its deep in there. But like I said Im new and a little nervous:dunno:.. I have to say I'm liking how my hood looks now though(besides the yellow)..Im the MAN

Thanks for all the advise! i'll put it to good use:props:

A4 1.8tqm
01-15-2011, 03:27 AM
I did more polishing with a Orange pad and Griots 3 and it is better (hardly see it) under halogen lights, But ill see come morning..

Nice! Hopefully it's still as good or better when you see it outside in the sun.

I'll go out to look for detailing store so far I've come out short.

What area do you live in? Good chance that there is an AG member near you who is willing to help, or advise a local store. :xyxthumbs:

hbSean
01-15-2011, 07:17 AM
Nice! Hopefully it's still as good or better when you see it outside in the sun.

What area do you live in? Good chance that there is an AG member near you who is willing to help, or advise a local store. :xyxthumbs:
Huntington beach,CA I found one place that will be open today that carries alot of meguiars products, we will see :dblthumb2:

edit time for bed ;)

Crazy Amos
01-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Huntington beach,CA I found one place that will be open today that carries alot of meguiars products, we will see :dblthumb2:

edit time for bed ;)

You may be able to get on the Megs site or maybe the forum and ask for a list of retailers in your area that carry the mirror glaze and detail lines.

I have a company in my area that does and they have beat any online stores prices by at least $1. Plus you don't have to pay shipping.

Carquest is global I think and I know they carry Duragloss Megs and 3M.

Most of the time the places that carry these types of products are paint reconditioning stores that supply body shops.

Just my .02