PDA

View Full Version : Advantage applying wax with DA?

Pages : [1] 2

mad666max_
01-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Hello, is there any sort of benefit of applying wax via DA? i bought a polishing pal to lay down a thin even coat but i want to know if there's gonna be a better shine if i use the DA? maybe will be a time saver but other than that?

BobbyG
01-14-2011, 01:32 PM
For a while now I've been applying all of my sealants and waxes with my Porter Cable 7424 polisher.

Applying sealants and waxes with a polisher allows the product to be put on more evenly and allows it to be worked into the paint much better in my opinion. Using this method also avoids unnecessarily applying too much product therefore saving you some cold hard cash! :props:

I don't think you can apply a sealant or wax as thin using a pad and applying it by hand.

THIN is IN!

LuxuryMobile
01-14-2011, 01:35 PM
To me that is also the biggest benefit, it keeps the coats nice and thin.

Sometimes it is more fun however, to apply a nice paste wax by hand.

mad666max_
01-14-2011, 01:40 PM
ok, but am i gonna get more shine with a DA?

SeaJay's
01-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Your going to get a more even layer which in the end can give you more shine. You may not notice a considerable difference though. However, it's much quicker using the DA as well and your shoulder or arm doesn't tire out.

I use my DA for applying all my waxes and sealants.

panthercz
01-14-2011, 02:21 PM
After applying waxes and sealants by hand and then using my g110v2 to do it, I'll never apply by hand again, except for those hard to reach places a machine can't get into.

You get very even and complete coverage with a machine and imo the wax or sealant lasts a little longer and looks better because of that. I use the LC flat blue and LC flat red pads to apply.

EdmundGTP
01-14-2011, 02:57 PM
What do you guys typically use for applying wax with a 7424? Wool pad with a MF bonnet on it? foam pad with an MF bonnet? or just a foam pad?

SeaJay's
01-14-2011, 02:58 PM
I use the LC CCS red flat pads. They are meant for applying sealants and waxes.

Meghan
01-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Sometimes it is more fun however, to apply a nice paste wax by hand.

I completely agree! :xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
01-14-2011, 05:13 PM
What do you guys typically use for applying wax with a 7424? Wool pad with a MF bonnet on it? foam pad with an MF bonnet? or just a foam pad?

For a finishing wax or paint sealant you would use a soft foam pad.

If you were applying a cleaner/wax to a neglected finish you would use either a light cutting pad or a polishing pad depending upon what your test results were.

And on the topic of hand vs machine, I would and do pick machine for as many procedures as possible, the machine always outperforms the hand in all aspects except the aesthetics of applying by hand.

:)

oldmodman
01-14-2011, 05:44 PM
For a while now I've been applying all of my sealants and waxes with my Porter Cable 7424 polisher.
Applying sealants and waxes with a polisher allows the product to be put on more evenly and allows it to be worked into the paint much better in my opinion. Using this method also avoids unnecessarily applying too much product therefore saving you some cold hard cash! :props:

I don't think you can apply a sealant or wax as thin using a pad and applying it by hand.

THIN is IN!

This.

ok, but am i gonna get more shine with a DA?

Not necessarily.

Your going to get a more even layer which in the end can give you more shine. You may not notice a considerable difference though. However, it's much quicker using the DA as well and your shoulder or arm doesn't tire out.

I use my DA for applying all my waxes and sealants.

And this too.

I use the LC CCS red flat pads. They are meant for applying sealants and waxes.

And finally this.

Sure saved me a lot of typing:dblthumb2:

BobbyG
01-14-2011, 05:51 PM
This.

Not necessarily.

And this too.

And finally this.

Sure saved me a lot of typing:dblthumb2:

Now that's what I call efficient use of time! :laughing:

Bunky
01-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Now that's what I call efficient use of time! :laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: :laughing:

SilverJag
01-14-2011, 06:40 PM
I also recommend LC gold pads for applying LSPs via DA.

jpegs13
01-14-2011, 06:42 PM
I also recommend LC gold pads for applying LSPs via DA.

I use the gold and or black pads for LSP's