PDA

View Full Version : Topping an AIO

rweekley
01-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Ok, since I have been on this forum, I have learned that for optimal results you should wait about 12 hour between applications of stand alone sealants/waxes, but what about using AIO. After using an AIO can you put a topping of a stand alone sealant or a wax right on top of it, without waiting 12 hours and obtain maximum results?

CleanGene
01-14-2011, 11:53 AM
I did some minor correcting this past week (water spot removal) on the roof of my pickup with Pinnacle's XMT 360 and immediately topped it with a coat of Ultima's UPGP sealant without a problem.

zliegen
01-14-2011, 12:10 PM
After I use an AIO always top with a good wax or sealant because no AIO I have used leaves protection up to my standards. Never had any "bonding" issues with any of the LSP's that I've used.

Audi X2
01-14-2011, 12:22 PM
I own the XMT 360 and the Poorboys polish w/ sealant.
The manufacturer recommendations for both state that they can be topped right after application and removal.

Crazy Amos
01-14-2011, 12:34 PM
I would think an AIO with wax should be topped with only a wax while an AIO with sealant can be topped with both.
I follow the same rule of the thumb used with a pure wax-always sealant first and wax after-never the other way around. I would think the same rule would apply when topping AIO's.

BobbyG
01-14-2011, 01:26 PM
I always like to wait a few hours before adding another layer of anything except if it specifically states something different; like sealants.

dougaross
01-14-2011, 04:14 PM
I did some minor correcting this past week (water spot removal) on the roof of my pickup with Pinnacle's XMT 360 and immediately topped it with a coat of Ultima's UPGP sealant without a problem.

After I use an AIO always top with a good wax or sealant because no AIO I have used leaves protection up to my standards. Never had any "bonding" issues with any of the LSP's that I've used.

How do you know this? Have you done durability comparisons? It seems there have been a number of posts that state various products look better the next day which suggests some cure time. After all the sealant is going to fall off the car but it might last only 2 mos vs 3-4 mos. Now if the manufacturer states that you can top immediately- that's a different story.

CleanGene
01-14-2011, 05:22 PM
How do you know this? Have you done durability comparisons? It seems there have been a number of posts that state various products look better the next day which suggests some cure time. After all the sealant is going to fall off the car but it might last only 2 mos vs 3-4 mos. Now if the manufacturer states that you can top immediately- that's a different story.

When I said "without a problem" that was in reference to the application of the sealant. IMO there is no noticeable difference in the visual end result by applying UPGP immediately after or waiting using XMT 360, but I'm sure other AIO/sealant combinations will react differently. As for compromising the sealant's durability, I cannot say. As like many other Autogeeks here, I seal and wax my vehicles far more frequently than the marketed lifespan of any sealant. Durability is never a concern of mine. :xyxthumbs: