PDA

View Full Version : tips for buying a new car?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Quattro3.2
01-12-2011, 09:57 PM
my wife and i are looking at buying a new car. i want to take a closer look at the paint condition. i took my light with me and got some strange looks by the salesman, but you do what you have to.

my question relates more to glazes and other stuff they goop onto the cars to cover the swirls. how does one look through that junk without claying etc.? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Feed back please

LuxuryMobile
01-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Pick one out that needs some correction but not terrible...it will give you something to work on!!!

In all seriousness, most all cars, even brand new will have some damage. If anything try your best to use the paints condition to knock off some one the price (good luck). And when you purchase, ask kindly for them to not to wash/clean or prep the car before you pick it up.

loudog2
01-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Microfiber, IPA wipedown and a light.

Dr Oldz
01-12-2011, 10:14 PM
Go to a drug store and get some IPA wipes and go back with your light! Pick the best one, altho they all will have some swirles!

dougaross
01-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Given that they all are going to have swirls I would pick the one with the best fit and finish and plan on correcting the one I buy.

LuxuryMobile
01-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Given that they all are going to have swirls I would pick the one with the best fit and finish and plan on correcting the one I buy.

^^^^What he said

fancyfootwork
01-12-2011, 10:35 PM
What car/vehicles are you looking at? Hard and soft paint differs so much with each manufacturer.

Grizzly
01-12-2011, 10:42 PM
Such terrible advie given thus far.

First off,

Why would you buy any vehicle with swirls or marring in it as mentioned in post #2.

And also, I have seen thousands of virtually defect free vehicles on dealer lots in multiple states.

Finally, you dont need an IPA wipedown to tell the conditon of a brand new vehicle.

Dr Oldz
01-12-2011, 11:46 PM
my question relates more to glazes and other stuff they goop onto the cars to cover the swirls. how does one look through that junk without claying etc.? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Feed back please

Such terrible advie given thus far.

First off,

Why would you buy any vehicle with swirls or marring in it as mentioned in post #2.

And also, I have seen thousands of virtually defect free vehicles on dealer lots in multiple states.

Finally, you dont need an IPA wipedown to tell the conditon of a brand new vehicle.
Sometimes when someone post a question, they just want that question answered and nothing else. Not that I am disagreeing with you at all Grizzly but just saying.......:xyxthumbs:

Crazy Amos
01-12-2011, 11:56 PM
Go 15 minutes before they close on a Friday or Saturday night and at the end of the month.

They can't leave until the deal is done or you walk out. On those days of the week the salesman have somewhere to be and want to get out of there and are more willing to work on the price just to get you out.

At the end of every month the sales manager is trying to hit the monthly quota. If he is short he will more than likely work with you to get you to buy.

Following these three tips will save you money. Trust me, I worked at a dealership goof through school and had guys like you come in making me wait to go out. Moat of the time the manager did what the buyer asked to get them to leave so we could all go home.

If it doesnt work I will be surprised. I guess their could be the manager who just doesn't care but I doubt it. Those guys work 14-16 hour days and are ready to go.

Happy hunting!

buddhadog
01-13-2011, 03:26 AM
Im not so sure a dealership would be too keen on you doing IPA wipe downs on their vehicles ?

The only advice I have is to buy it on a sunny day if you can .

yakky
01-13-2011, 08:48 AM

I think its time to go to the eye doctor. :laughing:

Back to the OP's question, if its brand new, use IPA or just find a touchless car wash near by and run the car through. The real concern shouldn't be swirls as much as paint thickness as you can pretty easily correct swirls that can be covered with a glaze. However if the car has been polished before and has a thin coat of paint, you are screwed. A friend with a PTG is a good thing to have. You'll also quickly find repainted panels, and yes, plenty of brand new cars have repainted panels. Good luck with your new car search!

FUNX650
01-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Im not so sure a dealership would be too keen on you doing IPA wipe downs on their vehicles ?

The only advice I have is to buy it on a sunny day if you can .

:iagree: Which is more important, a new car with a perfect factory paint job (no such thing), or procuring a car at the best price one can negotiate? Do your homework--research the car you want (ex.Kelly Blue Book), if financing get a pre-approved loan other than the dealership for comparison (they hate that), test drive this and similar vehicles, etc. etc.

No IPA wipe downs, Brinkmans, MF towels, nothing-- don't touch it--whose car is it anyway? Try to remember: It is not your car until you buy it, then you can do what you please with it.

Flash Gordon
01-13-2011, 09:03 AM
I've noticed in the past 2 or 3 years that dealers here are hardly doing any prep work other then washing. Its very rare to see a paint job jacked up with rotary swirls like were so common in the past

I don't know if its that dealers are getting wise, or just being cheap. Regardless, the consumer wins

If at all possible carry a paint thickness gauge. If you don't have one, ask your salesman to go to the used car dept and borrow theirs

Regards

2 Cents

Quattro3.2
01-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks everyone. I am definitely more interested in getting the best deal possible. I am looking at a 2007 Volvo XC90. How is the paint with Volvos? I have an Audi A4with rock hard clear.

I know that a majority of car have their defects. The car looks good right now from what I can tell. There are not any major body issues, but a couple swirls. If I get it, I will at least have another project. I appreciate all of the feedback.