PDA

View Full Version : tips for buying a new car?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Flash Gordon
01-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Thanks everyone. I am definitely more interested in getting the best deal possible. I am looking at a 2007 Volvo XC90. How is the paint with Volvos? I have an Audi A4with rock hard clear.

I know that a majority of car have their defects. The car looks good right now from what I can tell. There are not any major body issues, but a couple swirls. If I get it, I will at least have another project. I appreciate all of the feedback.

Volvo clear is very easy to work with. Actually, IMO its very thin. I did a burn thru a couple years back :o

MI Mike
01-13-2011, 12:45 PM
All of us are giving you our opinions. Like others have mentioned. When I was looking to purchase a new car, I did all my research before going into the dealer showroom. I knew what the price was, options, rebates, etc. I even checked the vehicles beforehand. Not during the week but on the weekend, were the dealership was closed and I could walk around the vehicles without having a salesrep. hovering all around. If you are looking for a perfect finish, remember that your warranty for paint is very short.

ScottB
01-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Go 15 minutes before they close on a Friday or Saturday night and at the end of the month.

They can't leave until the deal is done or you walk out. On those days of the week the salesman have somewhere to be and want to get out of there and are more willing to work on the price just to get you out.

At the end of every month the sales manager is trying to hit the monthly quota. If he is short he will more than likely work with you to get you to buy.

Following these three tips will save you money. Trust me, I worked at a dealership goof through school and had guys like you come in making me wait to go out. Moat of the time the manager did what the buyer asked to get them to leave so we could all go home.

If it doesnt work I will be surprised. I guess their could be the manager who just doesn't care but I doubt it. Those guys work 14-16 hour days and are ready to go.

Happy hunting!

Since I have it on great authority from a long term manager at local dealer, you do not want to come in the last minutes. They, like all want to go home and wont be more helpful usually less compliant. Plus some financing options arent available as closed. Usually a car deal takes over an hour from start to finish even with all variables in order.

Best advice is to shop closer to month end as indeed a push to move inventory for floor financing, spiffs, and quotas. Best to bring in info on car including costs and expect to pay something reasonable OVER cost. Limited editions will likely bring less negotiation. (ie. GTR vs. Altima) Bring your title in hand as possible to assure you are ready to deal. Clean your car in advance and realistically evaluate its cost. You are not selling it privately and should also measure sales tax savings as part of your deal. Ask about rebates, financing offers, and dealer cash. You expect to make a profit in your business and so do they ...

As for paint on new cars .... its under warranty and certainly can be buffed up and shined your way. I would suggest they dont even do any additional prep or washing prior to delivery. They likely only washed it before it hit lot, ask them to leave it alone. On used models you can certainly bring a better deal and do the work yourself.

RaskyR1
01-13-2011, 05:59 PM
I really don't like the idea of people going to new car lots and doing IPA wipe downs. :confused:

The condition of any new car is going to depend on how long it's sat of the lot (LOT ROT). If you can get one the day it arrives it should be free of defects and only need a light claying. If it's sat on the lot for months it will likely be marred up.

My advice, order the car you want and have them call you the day it arrives. Give specific instructions that it's not to be touched other than the pre delivery inspection. Remove all the plastic yourself and it should be defect free.

I got my new '06 Civic Si a couple days after it arrived (custom leather seats installed), and it was free of any marring and only had one tiny area where I could tell they popped out a ding....lol, actually it was pretty funny when I asked the manager about it as he couldn't believe I could tell it had been done. :D

My 2007 Mazda 6 was 100% free of defects. My '08 TSX on the other hand was pretty marred up, which I new before buying it. However, it was the end of model year and the only one left, which had been sitting for a while. Even with the plastic still on the car it was marred up.

Rasky

Laura
01-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks everyone. I am definitely more interested in getting the best deal possible. I am looking at a 2007 Volvo XC90. How is the paint with Volvos? I have an Audi A4with rock hard clear.

I know that a majority of car have their defects. The car looks good right now from what I can tell. There are not any major body issues, but a couple swirls. If I get it, I will at least have another project. I appreciate all of the feedback.

Though somewhat obsessed with this, I haven't worked on many cars other than my Audi (Toyota, Ford, Lexus, Honda). But correcting mine has definitely been harder than any of those others. The way I look at it, of all the possible problems I could have with that car, the only thing I can fix myself is the paint, so that part wouldn't worry me nearly as much as how it runs. Just my thoughts...

builthatch
01-13-2011, 09:00 PM
I am looking at a 2007 Volvo XC90. How is the paint with Volvos? I have an Audi A4with rock hard clear.

oh, so a car that is new to you, but not a new car in the literal sense.

well, i'd say just give it a good look over. no need to go crazy over it - just really review it for paint/body work, deep scratches, clear coat failure and burn-through. anything else can be corrected, so don't worry about it. a very very very small percentage take care of their vehicles to the extent that we do, so it can be unreasonable to expect a used car to not need a bunch of correction, etc.

it's a lot harder to be picky with cars that are no longer made for a given production year than an actual new car, where you can find them elsewhere or have it built.

01GreyStangGT
01-13-2011, 09:32 PM
I really don't like the idea of people going to new car lots and doing IPA wipe downs. :confused:

The condition of any new car is going to depend on how long it's sat of the lot (LOT ROT). If you can get one the day it arrives it should be free of defects and only need a light claying. If it's sat on the lot for months it will likely be marred up.

My advice, order the car you want and have them call you the day it arrives. Give specific instructions that it's not to be touched other than the pre delivery inspection. Remove all the plastic yourself and it should be defect free.

I got my new '06 Civic Si a couple days after it arrived (custom leather seats installed), and it was free of any marring and only had one tiny area where I could tell they popped out a ding....lol, actually it was pretty funny when I asked the manager about it as he couldn't believe I could tell it had been done. :D

My 2007 Mazda 6 was 100% free of defects. My '08 TSX on the other hand was pretty marred up, which I new before buying it. However, it was the end of model year and the only one left, which had been sitting for a while. Even with the plastic still on the car it was marred up.

Rasky

I orderd my new Mustang and picked it up the day it arrived. It sat on a lot in Detroit for a week before I got it. I've looked and can't honestly see any defects or marring in the paint. It's the best paint I've ever had on a vehicle.

mg6045
01-16-2011, 11:43 AM
my wife and i are looking at buying a new car. i want to take a closer look at the paint condition. i took my light with me and got some strange looks by the salesman, but you do what you have to.

my question relates more to glazes and other stuff they goop onto the cars to cover the swirls. how does one look through that junk without claying etc.? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Feed back please

pick on that looks the best. No dents, no dings, and no visual deep scratch's. Neither of those can be covered up with a glaze. So imo, that is fairly good advice for inspecting the finish.

I would not worry about shallow swirls, as even most brand new cars on the lot have them. and luckily you are part of the forum and will likely get the advice to amp the car up to a better finish anyway.

good luck !

when i first opened the thread, I was expecting to see advice for buying the car as an investment, and was going to post the writeup that is on edmunds.com . so if your looking for that type of advice, check out there website ! its great advice for looking to buy a used or new car.

arenared
01-16-2011, 01:00 PM
I am definitely more interested in getting the best deal possible. I am looking at a 2007 Volvo XC90.
I would concur with others about not worrying so much about the paint. If the car is used, I would Google some forums related to the car that you are seriously interested in and become a forum member. Then surf, and ask. You will find a lot of advice about problem areas and what to look for (or out for) when looking for a used model. Depending on the cost/presence of common problems, you may wish to have those areas checked out.

trhland
01-16-2011, 01:48 PM
when i bought my 2006 f350 lariet the dealer did wash it for me i forgot to. what a mess they made uggg. owell i fixed it

slickooz
01-18-2011, 10:52 AM
My dad just brought the TSX to get oil change and wanted to know how much damage was done because they washed it. I told him not to get it...

I was always told not to let them wash your car.

DLB
01-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Well, we just bought my wife a new metallic gray Sonata.
I went to the dealer, and luckily, the car I wanted was sitting inside the showroom. They had taken delivery on it, and pulled it in before it sit outside for long. There were no visible blemishes on it inside under the fluorescents, so it was good.

Then, washed, clayed, etc. when I got home, and it was indeed in very good shape (a couple of spots here and there, but not defect free).

Then, I took it in to have a part replaced that was defective from the factory (knew this when we bought it), and they gave me a complimentary wash - after I had sent it in on a fully, extensively detailed exterior.

Most of the panels now have swirls, and I get to do a correction on my brand new car.

Moral of the story - just buy the car you like and fix it later, because it's gonna get jacked up and you can't do anything about it. (Unless it sits in the garage after correction with a cover on it).

DLB

Midnight1700
01-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Volvo clear is very easy to work with. Actually, IMO its very thin. I did a burn thru a couple years back :o

Curious..... What did you do to correct the burn thru??? Luckly, I haven't had that happen, but the odds are, it will some day....:dunno:

ScottB
01-18-2011, 06:59 PM
always have service mark unit "DO NOT WASH" ...

slickooz
01-19-2011, 12:33 AM
Curious..... What did you do to correct the burn thru??? Luckly, I haven't had that happen, but the odds are, it will some day....:dunno:
If it burn through then your out a few hundred bucks. There really not much you can do if the paint burns but get it repainted.