PDA

View Full Version : Water Spots won't go away. Ideas?

Pages : [1] 2

bonsaiguitar
12-15-2006, 06:31 PM
I bought the yellow cutting pads and tried what another member on here tried but the spots won't budge. I used Megs #9 with the pads and it didn't even phase them.

Is there anything that will remove these spots? Megs #9 never failed me until now.

RPM06
12-15-2006, 06:48 PM
I bought the yellow cutting pads and tried what another member on here tried but the spots won't budge. I used Megs #9 with the pads and it didn't even phase them.

Is there anything that will remove these spots? Megs #9 never failed me until now.

saw this posted on another forum. I've never used it but it may be worth a shot.

"...Living here in Hawaii cars get water spots pretty bad. I found this product, MX-7 and it goes on easy, I let it dry, then used a buffer (because its easier, but not needed). I couldn't believe the spots actually came off my wifes car. It felt like I used a clay bar, smooth. And it smells good too , like flouride?
Anyways, here it is at a local store that sells it."
http://tnttinting.com/taxonomy/term/10

quantim0
12-15-2006, 06:53 PM
I had some baked on water spots on my windows and some Klasse AIO took care of it. Even though it's a liitle different, it's worth a shot. I believe clay and a vinegar/water mix are also recommended.

bonsaiguitar
12-15-2006, 06:58 PM
I don't know if the Klasse would be much better than the Megs #9 for this. I can't find the MX-7 online anywhere other than other auto forums. Sounds like it works though.

I'll try vinegar tomorrow. Works for the coffee pot.

ScottB
12-15-2006, 07:02 PM
vinegar and AIO likely only work on relatively new spots. Once they have etched the clearcoat you will need to polish or wet-sand them out. No easy way for removal.

bonsaiguitar
12-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Anybody try the Meg #47? I see AG has it.

I'm going out to try some vinegar tonight.

bonsaiguitar
12-15-2006, 07:35 PM
Vinegar and 000 steel whool seems to be working but at this rate it will take about 30 hours.

I once took a truck I had to a detail shop and the guy applied a liquid with rubber gloves on and it cleaned them almost immediatly. Probably some kind of acid that would ruin my paint I'm sure.

ryandamartini
12-15-2006, 07:56 PM
It depends...

If they have been there long enough, chances are that they have soaked into the base coat, therefore they WILL NOT come out.

If they are on the curface, CLR on a MF works so I hear.

Or just try another compound, I recommend SSR3 for the PC.

bonsaiguitar
12-15-2006, 08:00 PM
CLR on MF? They've been on there at least 5 years. I bought the car used from Charleston SC on the coast.

I think shes a keeper.
http://home.sc.rr.com/gads/evoke3.JPG

ryandamartini
12-15-2006, 08:08 PM
CLR on MF? They've been on there at least 5 years. I bought the car used from Charleston SC on the coast.

I think shes a keeper.
http://home.sc.rr.com/gads/evoke3.JPG

Your going to need some heavier polish, go with SSR3 on a orange pad first, after claying of course!

Heavy polishing vid shows how to work ssr3: http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/video/

bonsaiguitar
12-15-2006, 08:23 PM
Guess I should have mentioned these are on my glass. Sorry.

Surfer
12-15-2006, 08:46 PM
AIO and #4 steel wool, I couldn't get anything else to work on any of our vehicles including a newer Lexus, and beleive me, you should see all the "glass" stuff I bought including what some industrial companies use. That's really your only choice on glass besides replacing the glass itself.

ryandamartini
12-15-2006, 10:26 PM
Guess I should have mentioned these are on my glass. Sorry.straight vinegar. last hope before still wool and aio come out... hehe

teeks
12-16-2006, 12:04 AM
if you live in MA, a hammer is the ans =p all car insurance co are required to cover all glass with no deductable. need a new windshield? just put a big hole in it (disclaimer: dont do this as it is insurance fraud[at least i think])

Kelso
12-16-2006, 06:12 PM
first things first....get suspension and then try the yellow pad and xmt3 or ssr 3