PDA

View Full Version : Can this chip be fixed?

embolism
01-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Hi all,

This chip is under the window on the rear door close to the driver side door handle. I see it every time I go to open the driver door and am wondering if there is anything I can do about it. It looks as though it has been previously filled with one of those chip repair pens and may have a layer of clear over it as well. Does this need to be wetsanded? It's in a very visible place so I don't want to make it worse. I guess i could always try a da on it come the spring but I wanted to get some other opinions please.

Thanks

Rsurfer
01-11-2011, 09:49 PM
If it has clear over it you will need to wet sand the clear off and clean with alcohol. Fill the chip with touch up paint from the dealer. Put light coats and let dry between coats (12 hrs.) Your last coat should be slightly higher in order to sand it level to the surrounding surface. Start with 1500, 2000 and 3000. Be sure to keep the sanding block flat. I would tape a square around the chip to prevent sanding too large of an area.

93fox
01-11-2011, 11:10 PM
Heres what you might want to do if
You want it to look like nothing ever happened there.... Sand the chip down a bit and its souranding are with a 400grit sand paper! Then go to oreily and buy a putty that its mixed with the hardener already... And fill in the chip with the putty! You can buy an ok quality airbrush at harbor freight tools and then sand down the putty to even it out! Then with a spray can you spray primer on the area where it was chiped! Try to at least put 2 coats! Then wetsand with 600 grit and your ready to paint! Go to your local paint store and give them your paint code and they will mix the exactly same paint for you! Buy only 8 ounces of paint it should be around 15 bucks! And some clear! Try to get the least amount! Make sure you get some medium reducer with it! With your airbrush paint the primed area with at least two coats! Give it a 15 min flash time between coats! Then spray your clear on just the area you painted and a little around it! Try to get 3 coats on it! Make sure you cover all the sanded are with the clear! And then spray some medium reducer around the clear where you layed the clear! Again 15 mins flash time between coats! Then give it a week and you can wetsand it with 2000 grit and buff it and it with look like nothing was ever there!!!!

tguil
01-13-2011, 05:43 PM
Yep. Take a good look at this. Paint Repair Clinic (http://guidetodetailing.com/damage-repair/paint-repair-clinic/)