PDA

View Full Version : Ultima Paint Prep Plus: What did I do wrong?

Pages : [1] 2

Kurt_s
01-09-2011, 11:31 PM
I decided to prep my paint today with UPPP in preparation of using UPGP for the first time. I didn't work anything like I expected.

I tried applying UPPP to the hood first with both a tangerine HT pad and a flat white pad with a PCXP. Maybe I used too much? Maybe I didn't work it long enough? I let it haze as instructed but it would come off with a indigo MF towel. Instead of adding gloss to the paint, it made the paint look hazy and lightly marred It was about 60-65F in the garage which I assume is ok.

I ended up using M205 for the first time (pretty good stuff) to polish the hood and used Fuzion instead on the car. I really wanted to try UPGP but if I need to use UPPP first, this could be problematic.

So, what did I do wrong with UPPP?

SpoiledMan
01-10-2011, 12:15 AM
You don't have to use uppp first but it's beneficial. You can use pgp over 205 if you wipe it down with the Ultima detail spray first. As to your problem removing it sounds like you used too much and didn't work it long enough. When worked well it removes really easy.

Kurt_s
01-10-2011, 01:12 AM
You don't have to use uppp first but it's beneficial. You can use pgp over 205 if you wipe it down with the Ultima detail spray first. As to your problem removing it sounds like you used too much and didn't work it long enough. When worked well it removes really easy.

I was thinking that might be the case. I've used other prewax cleaners by hand and never saw anything like this before. Any secrets to amount of UPPP to apply to a 5.5" white or blue pad for a given section of paint? How long do I need to work it? Why Ultima detail spray vs another QD? Thanks!

SpoiledMan
01-10-2011, 01:20 AM
A couple of pea sized drops will cover a 2x2 area. Work it til it almost dissipates and allow to dry. My success has been with finishing the entire car and the removing. The Ultima detail spray *seems* to aid with durability after using 205.

BobbyG
01-10-2011, 07:21 AM
Hey Kurt,

I've never used this product before but your description does sound like you might have used a little too much. The left over haze also sounds like the product may have needed to dry more and at that temperature it may not have been dry enough.

I remember Corey doing a couple of write-ups on Ultima products and saying how little needed to be used.

CEE DOG
01-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Kurt, man sucks to hear that buddy. I'm shocked you had that issue. My paint has always been super glossy after using UPPP. I use a crimson or grey pad.
I don't know why that happened to you. It has always come off extremely easy for me. My only assumptin can be that you used too much but maybe there is some other strange factor in place.

Old Tiger
01-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Kurt, I usually apply it by hand. It doesnt have too much cut, If the 205 looks good, apply UPGP over it. Spray the applicator twice to prime it and then wipe on a panel. Spray once for each additional panel. It will likely streak, but avoid temptation to wipe off. Next day it will look great!

WRAPT C5Z06
01-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Not sure I'd like to use a paint cleaner with ANY cut. When it comes to a paint prep cleaner, I prefer to use chemical based products with a finishing pad.

Kurt_s
01-10-2011, 12:19 PM
A couple of pea sized drops will cover a 2x2 area. Work it til it almost dissipates and allow to dry. My success has been with finishing the entire car and the removing. The Ultima detail spray *seems* to aid with durability after using 205.

Thanks for the suggestions. How much more do I add after the first 2x2 section? Do you clean the pad after each 2x2 section or major area like the hood?

Hey Kurt,

I've never used this product before but your description does sound like you might have used a little too much. The left over haze also sounds like the product may have needed to dry more and at that temperature it may not have been dry enough.

I remember Corey doing a couple of write-ups on Ultima products and saying how little needed to be used.

I had the halogens in the garage and I was working in short sleeves so it wasn't too cold. The product completely hazed like a wax but wouldn't wipe off. It was stuck to the paint like M105 when it gets wet. Cement. In some spots, the paint actually looked like it was marred. I must have used too much and maybe should have worked it longer and spread it over a larger area.

Kurt, man sucks to hear that buddy. I'm shocked you had that issue. My paint has always been super glossy after using UPPP. I use a crimson or grey pad.
I don't know why that happened to you. It has always come off extremely easy for me. My only assumptin can be that you used too much but maybe there is some other strange factor in place.

I first used a tangerine HT to help remove some minor swirls and used about 2 quarter sized dabs which I spread around the pad to prime it. It would not come up competely with an indigo MF and some spots actually looked like they were marred but I think it was just the stuff stuck to the paint. I was afraid that it was the HT pad since it was the first time that I tried it.

Next, I polished the entire hood with M205 and a white pad to make sure the paint was clean and clear. M205 is a pretty nice polish. I need to play with it some more versus Opt Spray and WG FG3.0.

I then tried a brand new white pad with the UPPP applying 2-3 pea sized dabs to 1/2 the hood. Again it stuck to the hood and would not release. Totally weird and I gave up.

I then repolished the entire hood with M205. Since the manufacturer recommends UPPP to improve durability, I gave up on UPGP last night. Bummer, you and Jim really like the sealant.

I finally just laid down another coat of Fuzion since it takes so little time apply, durability is great and I like the look. I did get some UTTG some of the black plastic trim.

Kurt, I usually apply it by hand. It doesnt have too much cut, If the 205 looks good, apply UPGP over it. Spray the applicator twice to prime it and then wipe on a panel. Spray once for each additional panel. It will likely streak, but avoid temptation to wipe off. Next day it will look great!

I will run with Fuzion for the next month or so. I may try the hand method next time. At least the car is in good shape for the next month or two. Would you use an IPA or MS wipedown after M205 and before UPGP?

So you don't buff it out the streak like Opti-Seal?

CEE DOG
01-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Not sure I'd like to use a paint cleaner with ANY cut. When it comes to a paint prep cleaner, I prefer to use chemical based products with a finishing pad.

I do the same. No cut pad for my finishing with UPPP since I've started using a machine.

However about a year and a half ago I did use the enclosed hand applicator I was sent and did the entire car with it. That hand applicator has some cut to it like Jim said but still came out beautiful and as glossy as could be.

Kurt_s
01-10-2011, 12:27 PM
I originally planned to use a blue glaze pad and the directions said minor swirl removal. I wanted to see what it would remove with a tangerine HT. I had issues with a white polishing pad too.

In the past, I always applied paint cleaners by hand with a foam pad. Might just go back to old school since I am only trying to clean and remove old sealant/wax/residue but a DA should make this super easy.

Gotta try new things and see what happens. I am not encouraged by UPPP but I will chalk it up to using too much product and not working it long enough.

CEE DOG
01-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Gotta try new things and see what happens. I am not encouraged by UPPP but I will chalk it up to using too much product and not working it long enough.

I'm perplexed. Must be not working it long enough? I'm not sure. How long did you work it?

My gut makes me feel like it's some kind of anomaly we aren't thinking of.

Next time you try it out do a test square and mess with it to see if it works.

FYI: I have so little issue removing the UPPP I have done the entire Sky inside my garage with it and buffed it off after the car was done. Something seems strange. Could it be a bad batch? Maybe give Sam L. a call.

Kurt_s
01-10-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm perplexed. Must be not working it long enough? I'm not sure. How long did you work it?

My gut makes me feel like it's some kind of anomaly we aren't thinking of.

Next time you try it out do a test square and mess with it to see if it works.

FYI: I have so little issue removing the UPPP I have done the entire Sky inside my garage with it and buffed it off after the car was done. Something seems strange. Could it be a bad batch? Maybe give Sam L. a call.

I initally made maybe ~3 passes as I wanted to see if it would remove any minor defects with the tangerine HT. Not much cut at all. I was running 5-6 on the DA to keep the head rotating.

Then I tried using it like a chemical cleaner and made 1 horizontal and 1 vertical pass to overlap a 2x2 section. I noticed that the pad would not rotate at speed 4 unless I used almost no pressure, so set the speed at 5. The M205 pad rotated easier at 4 and 5 settings. Wiped the pad face with a terry towel to remove any build up between sections and added 1 or 2 small dabs. I even tried moving to another section without adding addition product. Same issue. I also tried 2 different MF towels.

I used CG Citrus Wash and Gloss to remove old wax at the 1oz to gallon concentration. It stripped most everything (except the UTTG on some trim around the rear deck). The paint no longer beaded so I'm pretty sure it removed the old Fuzion. Since I tried UPPP before and after M205 with similar results, I don't think it was the CWG.

Maybe I will call Sam. I know how much you like the Ultima products so I am happy to work through the learning process. It's got to be something really simple.

Matt S.
01-10-2011, 01:06 PM
What year, make, model and color is the vehicle you're working on?

Kurt_s
01-10-2011, 01:10 PM
What year, make, model and color is the vehicle you're working on?
1999, BMW, 528iT, Arctic White.