PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable Swirls??

Pages : [1] 2

jonn127
01-09-2011, 04:08 PM
I have a 2011 Mustang 5.0, black. I've used Optimum all in one, then topped with Fuzion. The other day I noticed holograms, but was thinking one couldn't really put holograms in a car with a porter cable? I was wondering, if the fuzion isn't wiped off enough or buffed enough, could that cause the holograms? Surely I didn't cause any holograms with a porter and poli-seal.

slickooz
01-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Yeah I never heard of a PC causing holograms on cars. Did you try wiping it down with detailer spray?

sspudnick
01-09-2011, 04:25 PM
What type/color pad did you use ? Speed? Did you ever use it on it's edge? Was the car clayed before polishing?

slickooz
01-09-2011, 04:34 PM
Oh I forgot you had a black car. People here have said that while claying their black car sometimes it created marring, I think it's because of the aggressiveness of the clay.

LuxuryMobile
01-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Could be several things...

Could be that you didnt actually remove the swirls that were already there
Could be that the Wax was topped without all the polishing oils completly removed

Have you used a PC and this combo before on other vehicles with good results?

DLB
01-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Think of it this way - if the PC is aggressive enough to take the swirls, etc. out, why would it not be aggressive enough to put them in?

On soft paint I have personally seen a PC put pig tails in paint before. Perhaps that would be due to a contaminant between the paint and the pad (most likely), but it still happened.

Like I said, there's really no reason a PC couldn't cause issues, it just isn't as common. Pad, cleanliness, pressure, speed, etc. all have effects on it.

DLB

Rsurfer
01-09-2011, 04:54 PM
I have a 2011 Mustang 5.0, black. I've used Optimum all in one, then topped with Fuzion. The other day I noticed holograms, but was thinking one couldn't really put holograms in a car with a porter cable? I was wondering, if the fuzion isn't wiped off enough or buffed enough, could that cause the holograms? Surely I didn't cause any holograms with a porter and poli-seal.
Holograms and swirls are two different things. Did you see both?

seaho
01-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Poliseal is pretty gentle on paint. I have had "pseudo hologam" issues with multiple coats of 476, and these resolved easily with an application of OCW. You may want to try it.

builthatch
01-09-2011, 05:10 PM

if what you are seeing are actually holograms, there is no way what listed would do that. you likely had holograms from dealer prep, and removed their glaze with the poli-seal, revealing the damage.

jonn127
01-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Orange pad, not too much pressure, speed around 5
pretty much just holograms, no swirls, makes me think it would have to do with not removing all the polishing oils?

OCW???....Optimum .....?

builthatch....if I removed their glaze, wouldn't that have revealed hidden swirl marks as well?

I've hit it with detail spray....unfortunately no sun out since I did it. Would they show up with the brinkman?

jonn127
01-09-2011, 05:38 PM
oh and by the way.....the poli-seal sure gunked up the pads, that normal?

seaho
01-09-2011, 06:17 PM
The orange pad(if LC orange) is a bit harsh for a finish pad. You may want to try the poliseal with a white or black pad. They usually finish pretty well for me, particularly the black one.

builthatch
01-09-2011, 06:32 PM
OP, there probably were no swirls, as the factory finish was new. they probably just removed the plastic, washed it and then hit it with a buffer and glaze. and you removed that when you used poli-seal, revealing their pad trails. again, that is just guess as there is no real way for a PC to induce true holograms.

poli-seal is great stuff as a mild all-in-one, but definitely needs to be used with a white pad or equivalent, or even less aggressive. orange is WAY too aggro for poli-seal.

it shouldn't gunk the pad up at all. for 4" pads, i use 4 pea sized dots. for bigger pads, i use 6 pea sized dots. a very tiny bit goes a long way with poli-seal. it will remain in the pad a bit, especially where you applied the dots, but not like "gunk".

OCW is optimum spray wax.

bimmersales
01-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Your Mustang has hard clear on it. What other polishes do you have? I have been with Asphalt Rocket(Dana) on numerous Mustang details and 105/205/85rd is the combo he uses. Everything else wouldn't remove the holograms/swirls. PM me if you need more help and I will pass the questions on to him and get you the answers. He does a ton of Mustangs for HBH-HorsepowerbyHermann.

jonn127
01-09-2011, 07:04 PM
I see, i was thinking that the black pad was too weak, like it has no cut, but does that depend on the product you are using? I have the 105/205/85rd, but was thinking a new car wouldn't really need the 105 would it? At least typically?