PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Guzzler HD -vs- Mothers -vs- Megs

Pages : [1] 2 3

IID
01-08-2011, 04:57 PM
I had a opportunity to take advise from a AG forum member here and order up some WW drying MF's to help dry customers/personal vehicles when using ONR.
I already own (3) of AG Cobra Guzzlers HD (foam core).So I ordered a couple of Mothers Drying Towels (also foam core),and one Megs Water Magnet.
I'm a big fan of the AG Cobra WW Guzzler HD.It soaks up ton's of water and have never had a marring issue when wiping/drying down ANY vehicles.

Here is a picture of the three.Mothers/Cobra Guzzler HD/Meguiars Water Magnet:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=181&pictureid=1096

Here is a thickness difference between the Mothers and Cobra:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=181&pictureid=1097

Edge difference:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=181&pictureid=1098

and a thickness picture between the Cobra Guzzler and Meguiars Water Magnet:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=181&pictureid=1100

I don't see the Meguiars in the same league as the Guzzler or the Mothers because it's NOT a foam core type drying towel.I'll use the Megs for door jams,trunk deck,widow cowl type applications.
The Mothers looks like it will be a Guzzler contender and will give it a try soon.Also the Mothers is less expensive than the Cobra Guzzler.

This maybe my goto drying towel in the future:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=181&pictureid=1099

VISITOR
01-08-2011, 05:00 PM
all of the mothers microfibers are excellent...

Old Tiger
01-08-2011, 06:30 PM
I used to be a big HD Guzzler fan until I got a couple of the Mothers Performance towels. The Mothers are bigger, thicker and just plain better IME! Chris hope you feel same after comparing both in use.

IID
01-08-2011, 10:54 PM
I used to be a big HD Guzzler fan until I got a couple of the Mothers Performance towels. The Mothers are bigger, thicker and just plain better IME! Chris hope you feel same after comparing both in use.

I'll add to this post tomorrow as I'll be doing a neighbor's vehicle wash with ONR :xyxthumbs:

Old Tiger
01-08-2011, 11:27 PM
I'll add to this post tomorrow as I'll be doing a neighbor's vehicle wash with ONR :xyxthumbs:
This towel blots better than any other I have tried and is my go to with ONR.

Mister B
01-08-2011, 11:35 PM
This towel blots better than any other I have tried and is my go to with ONR.

Is the Mothers foam core Waffle Weave as stiff as the Guzzler HD? I have a couple Guzzler HD's and they are absorbent, but I'm not sure if I like them yet or not. I've only used them a handfull of times so far. They are pretty stiff when folded into quarters and used to wipe dry a vehicle compared to the Meguiar's water magnet and the Poorboy's waffle weave towels that I normally use.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-09-2011, 02:33 AM
all of the mothers microfibers are excellent...
Agreed.

Their MF detailing towel is great. Their MF applicators are great. I would assume their WW drying towel is great as well.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-09-2011, 02:35 AM
I used to be a big HD Guzzler fan until I got a couple of the Mothers Performance towels.
Jim,

What do you consider Mother's "performance" towels?

BobbyG
01-09-2011, 06:09 AM
Chris,

I really like the Cobra Guzzler towel and it works very well. I'm also intrigued by the look and apparent quality of the Mothers brand towel. From what I can see it does appear to be a very high quality towel and I'm interested in seeing a test and corresponding results. :props:

Bunky
01-09-2011, 07:36 AM
Is the Mothers foam core Waffle Weave as stiff as the Guzzler HD? I have a couple Guzzler HD's and they are absorbent, but I'm not sure if I like them yet or not. I've only used them a handfull of times so far. They are pretty stiff when folded into quarters and used to wipe dry a vehicle compared to the Meguiar's water magnet and the Poorboy's waffle weave towels that I normally use.

I have a few of the Mothers towels. I have not experienced any marring. There was a change a while back and the latest ones seem less stiff with a slightly different ww pattern (more rectangular).

I will often blot with them and use a second towel to do the final wipe. I usually start with the windows and then do the paint. They can get heavy since they do absorb a lot of water but you can wring it out....just do not get rough (really twist) with them as you would with a shammy since they are 3 parts (two mf towels with a foam interior).

I tend to use them now more with ONR and a second towel since I have a blower to dry.

The water magnet is one towel I do not like.

jlb85
01-09-2011, 08:01 AM
This is going to be good. Subscribed :xyxthumbs:

Old Tiger
01-09-2011, 10:07 AM
I dont fold them. I toss them out onto horizontal surfaces . They lay out flat. I then pat the towel all over and pick it up and move to the next wet section. On vertical panels, I hold the towel up against the surface with one hand and pat dry with the other. The towel will saturate on one side after doing several panells. I flip it over and use the other side. This method minimizes marring since I dont drag the towel over the paint. The Mothers is thicker than the HD, so if you still want to fold, the foam cores probably arent the best fit for you. Hope this helps.

Old Tiger
01-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Agreed.

Their MF detailing towel is great. Their MF applicators are great. I would assume their WW drying towel is great as well.
Mark, stop assuming and order 1 or 2! I will buy them from you if you dont like them.

fredcandetail
01-09-2011, 10:11 AM
its sounds like they are not as workable or pliable as the less rigid Megs Towel ... I use a ChemGuys Blue Towel Monster which is a 80/20 16x24 and it works great .. soft enough to barely grasp in my hand and run lightly over the paint.

Yes, i run two passes as the initial gets about 80% of the water and leaves some water behind but a quick wring and you can get it all up.

Then again I dont wash cars for a living and every vehicle i touch gets its last touch with a quick detailer spray for the 100% streak free finish.

I would buy stock in a company that could gurantee 100% streak free finish with the same cloth... or does anyone know of any?

Old Tiger
01-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Chris,

I really like the Cobra Guzzler towel and it works very well. I'm also intrigued by the look and apparent quality of the Mothers brand towel. From what I can see it does appear to be a very high quality towel and I'm interested in seeing a test and corresponding results. :props:
Bobby, if you like the HD, you will LOVE the Mothers!