PDA

View Full Version : Starting up a mobile edition to my shop for spring!

Kristopher1129
01-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Hey guys,

I am currently starting up a mobile service to my detail shop. I already have a very busy shop. But now, I want to reach out to business, and customers who can't drop off their vehicle. Basically what I'd like to know is...

If you do mobile...how did you accumulate customers. Or, can you give any good tips outside of handing out brochures to accumulate business?

Did you find yourself needing to run independently often? Meaning through a generator and water tank.

Do you find it worthy to go out and do just one vehicle? Cause I think my rule of thumb will be that there has to be at least 2 for us to come out.

Any tips or advice would be much appreciated! I am using a 98 Safari cargo van. Here is the van...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/163465_187716774575854_100000125971051_722557_7117 11_n.jpg

LuxuryMobile
01-06-2011, 10:52 PM
I wouldnt make it a rule of thumb to do just one vehicle. Alot of mobile work can become maintenance packages.

Also, I have yet to run in to an issue of a client not being ok with me using there water and power. This may become an issue if your trying to do a quick wash at their place of employement.

Good luck and Im sure you will make your current clients happy by adding a mobile unit to your shop.

slickooz
01-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Yeah def look into getting a water tank and generator. There are a lot of people who lives in apartments or condos where they don't have water or outlet for you to use.

And congrats on your shop! How long have you been open? I'm also trying to start up something for the spring but things are moving very slowly.

Kristopher1129
01-07-2011, 12:10 AM
Yeah def look into getting a water tank and generator. There are a lot of people who lives in apartments or condos where they don't have water or outlet for you to use.

And congrats on your shop! How long have you been open? I'm also trying to start up something for the spring but things are moving very slowly.

Thanks for the tips! I actually already have a generator. I will be getting a water tank. I was just curious as to how often you would have to run off the generator alone. Do you charge extra when you have to use your own power?

My shop has been open for about 4 years. We do quite a bit of business through spring, summer, and fall...steady in the winter as well. But all spring and summer, we're doing 4 to 5 retail customers a day monday through saturday. So mobile for me was a no brainer to get into. Thanks, and good luck with your business as well!

Kristopher1129
01-07-2011, 12:12 AM
I wouldnt make it a rule of thumb to do just one vehicle. Alot of mobile work can become maintenance packages.

Also, I have yet to run in to an issue of a client not being ok with me using there water and power. This may become an issue if your trying to do a quick wash at their place of employement.

Good luck and Im sure you will make your current clients happy by adding a mobile unit to your shop.

Thanks! My issue with one vehicle is just that I'd rather it just be brought to my shop. Cause for me...mobile isn't necessary. Plus I have to hire outside employees to do the mobile work cause I need to be at the shop. So, I think at first at least...I'm gonna stick with the 2 or more rule. Thanks for the feedback!