PDA

View Full Version : CGs Fade to black

Jeff120
01-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Seems to now be know as black on black. Looking for a review on this product. Is it worth the price or are there other aerosol sprays that are as good. Looking to use it on wheel wheels and are to reach and intricate engine parts.

VISITOR
01-06-2011, 07:27 PM
if you plan on using a dressing for the wheel wells, a water based dressing that is dilutable may be more economical and for the engine, CD-2 works well IME...

mg6045
01-06-2011, 07:35 PM
This product does have its place in a detail, specifically in the engine bay area. durability is not great though. (especially if exposed to the elements)

for wheel wells, I just turn the tire and use a trim dressing instead. better durability.

plus the price : performance of this product is terrible if you were to use it all for the wells.

this is IMO.

CG and Adams have reformulated the spray, which is why the name/s have changed. (VOC compliance)

Crazy Amos
01-06-2011, 07:40 PM
I use it and like it alot. I use it to dress the vents and that's it-too expensive to spraying on everything. It dries with a high gloss and is set to the touch. Good stuff.

I bought one can and I have done 6 cars since I cracked it open and I still have a practically new can. But again I only use it for the vents. Check their wacky deals of the day, last I saw it was $6 a can or so.

I have a pic of a set of vents I did but can't post it until later.

I don't know of anywhere else that carries and aerosol dressing except a detail supplier.

Quattro3.2
01-06-2011, 07:41 PM
I am not a fan at all. I used on the wheel arches of my buddy's jeep and it barely lasted two days. It left some streaks, maybe from the dew in the morning rolling off, but it looked terrible. Maybe it would be ok in the engine bay, but i would look for another option. Just my opinion.

ScottB
01-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Most tire dressing sprays like Stoners will work just as well, especially if used in wheelwells. I dont dress air vents, just clean them with Einszett Cockpit Premium.

kronos
01-06-2011, 08:44 PM
I was a little underwhelmed by fade to black. Stoner's aerosol products are better, imo, and cheaper. On the other hand, CG's bare bones is pretty good. Griots has an equivalent wheel well spray (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-undercarriage-spray-128.html) to bare bones but I haven't tried that one yet.

Bunky
01-06-2011, 08:51 PM
I have the Adam's version of trim spray. It works on but only use it in tight spaces (like door jambs, underhood,or grillwork).

I use Griots, Bare Bones, or one of several aerosol tire shines (AA is nice). The griots/bare bones seem to be the most durable especially if you just used soap and water to clean during maintenance washes. I have also used a tire dressing like PB BnB when the wheel well is mostly plastic. PB's cleans a little as well as dresses.

ObsessiveAutoDetail
01-06-2011, 10:01 PM
I am a huge fan of Fade to Black. I use it primarily for those damn honeycomb-style or egg crate-style grilles. Works like a charm. I also use it under-hood. Has excellent durability.

Old Tiger
01-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Seems to now be know as black on black. Looking for a review on this product. Is it worth the price or are there other aerosol sprays that are as good. Looking to use it on wheel wheels and are to reach and intricate engine parts.
The new to AG Sonus Trim & Motor Coat is much more durable and goes a lot farther IME. For motors I recommend a pump spray to mist. For wells the trigger is fine! I also like Megs All Season Dressing on wells

Jeff120
01-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Thanks tiger,
I was looking for something in an aerosol that gave a fine mist. It would save me a little time have to spread it around with an applicator on wells.

kronos
01-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks tiger,
I was looking for something in an aerosol that gave a fine mist. It would save me a little time have to spread it around with an applicator on wells.

I just used Megs Hyper Dressing diluted 3:1 on my daily driver's wheel wells and I really like the look. I hope it lasts a few weeks. I'm using a pump spray, but have it dialed in to a fine mist. I just spray and walk away. As easy as it gets.