PDA

View Full Version : Which Optimum tire gel should I get?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Tom Weed
01-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Hi all,
I was checking out the BOGO and noticed Optimum Tire shine is listed, I was wanting to get a gallon of something that is good when my Hyper Dressing runs out. I do like the tires to have a dark black look, with some shine. More important though is durability, any suggestions from those who have tried both the Optimum Tire shine and Optimum Opti-Bond Tire gel?

Thanks,
Tom

Setec Astronomy
01-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Ha ha this is going to be fun. I too have puzzled over hey, what's the real difference between these two products. After getting a sample of the Opti-Bond, and using my memory from my original OTS, as well as reading and asking, I came to the conclusion that the Opti-Bond produces a shinier/glossier finish (while still dry) and is likely a bit more durable than the OTS which produces more of a matte, new-tire look.

That being said, the new OTS is supposed to be glossier and longer-lasting than the old, so once again the distinction between these two products is blurred, especially since the gallon price is almost the same (of course with the "old" version on BOGO, it's really half). Some people dilute the Opti-Bond 1:1 so that would reduce the cost.

If you're coming from Hyper-dressing I'd say you'd be plenty happy with the BOGO Tire Shine (and if you buy the gallon...have enough for 500+ applications) as long as you're not one of those guys that dilutes the HD down a bunch of ways for a bunch of different things, as I don't know the OTS will do that.

zliegen
01-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Opti-bond!

Dilute a gallon to 1:1 and you get 2 gallons of an excellent tire dressing :)

Setec Astronomy
01-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Opti-bond!

Dilute a gallon to 1:1 and you get 2 gallons of an excellent tire dressing :)

Yeah, and if he buys the BOGO OTS he gets 2 gallons for the same price...he seemed to indicate that he prefers a more matte finish although that isn't how he described it...IIRC diluting Opti-Bond doesn't really mute the gloss.

zliegen
01-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Yeah, and if he buys the BOGO OTS he gets 2 gallons for the same price...he seemed to indicate that he prefers a more matte finish although that isn't how he described it...IIRC diluting Opti-Bond doesn't really mute the gloss.
True.

Either way you won't be disappointed. Especially with tire shine on BOGO.

I will say though that a quick wipe down with a MF after Opti-bond dries reduces the gloss.

Also, one of our members here (07 z-06) did a 50/50 on a tire with half Optibond and half Opt TireShine (both used straight undiluted)

There wasn't any discernible difference in appearance between the two.

Personally I would still recommend Optibond over OTS even with it on BOGO. I feel like its just more versatile.

Setec Astronomy
01-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Also, one of our members here (07 z-06) did a 50/50 on a tire with half Optibond and half Opt TireShine (both used straight undiluted)

There wasn't any discernible difference in appearance between the two.

That's news to me! I must have missed that one. Was there a durability test along with that? Because that really muddies the waters even more. Of course, tires are all different, even from the same mfr., and age/care plays a role too. Nothing is easy!

Southern Stang
01-06-2011, 12:59 PM
I've had an easy two weeks in the florida weather on my DD with Opti-bond. I like it so much I bought a gallon of it. I had the smaller bottle last me months and I use it on almost every detail I do also. I just dress the wheel wells with hyper dressing. Works great! :props:

Dubbin1
01-06-2011, 01:01 PM
That's news to me! I must have missed that one. Was there a durability test along with that? Because that really muddies the waters even more. Of course, tires are all different, even from the same mfr., and age/care plays a role too. Nothing is easy!

Post #16 http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/26180-optimum-tire-shine-vs-opti-bond-2.html

Tom Weed
01-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice, much appreciated!

I need to clarify, I do use Hyper Dressing, but only in the wheel wells and engine compartments, I use All Seasons Dressing on the tires, I liked it, but if I don't get the excess out of the tread grooves, it slings, plus I wanted to try something new and like the Optimum stuff. I did get a bogo on DP Gloss Tire gel a while back, I really like that, but at almost 60 bucks a gallon, it's not cost effective for me on customers cars, I will just save it for my own.

It's looking like the consensus is Opti-bond Tire gel, I think I will pick up a gallon, and may add in the new Ultimate Paste Wax for good measure! :props:

Thanks again!

Tom

WRAPT C5Z06
01-06-2011, 02:02 PM
No durability test. However, you make a good point about different tires giving different results. Tire dressings, generally speaking, are very difficult to describe because results can vary greatly from person to person. I like hyper dressing because I can dilute it 4 different levels to my liking.

Sent using Tapatalk

Setec Astronomy
01-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Post #16 http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/26180-optimum-tire-shine-vs-opti-bond-2.html

Thanks, that was before I joined here. But, wow! No difference...I wonder what an aging comparison would have shown. I'll be getting back into using the Opt dressings once the weather warms up, since I FINALLY used up my Long Haul from Big Lots...

Perfections
01-06-2011, 11:42 PM
Opti-bond diluted 1:1 rocks all my customers :)

WRAPT C5Z06
01-06-2011, 11:44 PM
According to Dr. G, opti-bond diluted 1:1 should be more matte than OTS(second generation).

Setec Astronomy
01-07-2011, 07:13 AM
According to Dr. G, opti-bond diluted 1:1 should be more matte than OTS(second generation).

Some prefer a liquid and some a gel. There are only subtle differences in results. Both look great, don't sling and dry to the touch.

I dunno, it sounds to me like Dr. G can't make up HIS mind whether he should be making a liquid or a gel, LOL!

BobbyG
01-07-2011, 07:48 AM
Between the two my vote goes to Optimum Opti-Bond Gel....

I use these;

Pinnacle Black Onyx
Wolfgang Black Diamond Tire Gel
DP Gloss Tire Gel
Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel

I've listed from 1 to 4 for level of glossiness.

All of these are superb performers with the "more glossy" going to Pinnacle and Wolfgang. Now this glossiness is not the wet shine you might be thinking of if you've ever used something like Meguiar's "Hot Wheels" tire spray.

While either the Pinnacle or Wolfgang are applied they do give off that wet appearance but as the product soaks into the rubber it tends to tone it down to a nice black satin finish. I apply all my tire treatments with a brush and a foam sponge.

DP Gloss Tire Gel goes on buttery smooth and dries to a deep dark rich blackness. It's has sort of a mint smell to it but goes away after it's dried.

Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel is another good performer but it takes a couple of coats to get it looking good. This gives what I'd call the flattest finish although it does look quite good but not quite as rich as the three above.