PDA

View Full Version : Coin Op Question

tguil
01-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Usually I only use the coin op car wash to blast of the big stuff and follow up later with ONR of QEW but today I "sinned". I used the coin op like most "regular" folks... soap, rinse and spotless rinse and then simply wiped my truck dry with very absorbent cotton towels. From what I could tell there was minimal marring...none that I could see.

Is there a product that I can spray on the surface of my truck that will allow me to wipe it dry after a "normal" coin op wash without being concerned about marring....a QD or perhaps one of the rinseless washes?

Sometimes it just doesn't work to do a total careful rinseless wash after the coin op.

Why even use the coin op? Winter in Nebraska.

Tom

slickooz
01-05-2011, 08:58 PM
You can always try waterless wash after you pressure wash the car. I'm using DP waterless and it goes a great job for light cleaning.

longdx
01-05-2011, 09:01 PM
As stated above, a waterless wash is a good option or a spray wax (ala Griot's Spray wax) while wet will help not only help reduce marring but leave the paint glossy.

RTexasF
01-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Aqua Wax from Duragloss. Use it once and you won't be without it. Trade the terrycloth in for some quality microfiber towels. The car must be clean though, not just rinsed off.

Flash Gordon
01-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Your DIY should have a pre-soak option. This is basically a APC mixture that loosens up the dirt before you go through the wash/rinse cycle

Regardless, your better off not drying the car after your visit to the DIY as there is still going to be dirt left behind, that will inturn cause marring

tuscarora dave
01-05-2011, 10:48 PM
I find that after a ONR wash and drying with Aqua Wax the dirt releases very nice the next time I blast the car off with just the rinse cycle at the coin op and I just drive off after rinsing. I did that yesterday and the car looked just waxed when I got home. I am going to see how many times I can do this before I begin to see road film on it.

Having said all that now I'll say that I have a light colored car. If I owned a black or dark colored car I may do things differently.

dougaross
01-05-2011, 10:55 PM
I find that after a ONR wash and drying with Aqua Wax the dirt releases very nice the next time I blast the car off with just the rinse cycle at the coin op and I just drive off after rinsing. I did that yesterday and the car looked just waxed when I got home. I am going to see how many times I can do this before I begin to see road film on it.

Having said all that now I'll say that I have a light colored car. If I owned a black or dark colored car I may do things differently.
:iagree:

tguil
01-05-2011, 11:17 PM
OK, when I use the coin op, I do the complete cycle...prewash the lower panels if the truck is really dirty/salty, followed by a soap wash, rinse and spotless rinse. Then I rewash the whole truck using a rinseless wash (ONR or QEW) either at the car wash or when get home. Typically I use quality microfiber towels. (Didn't have them with today.)

My truck is a white Ram that is well maintained and frequently waxed with Meguiar's NXT 2.0 and Meguiar's Ultimate Spray Wax.

My question was an attempt to find a product that I could spray on the truck after he spotless rinse cycle that would allow me to dry the truck without marring. I know that there is residue left after the rinse cycle, but with the truck being still wet I would think that there is a product the would add lubricity to the water and allow safe drying without further washing.

For what it's worth, I've been using coin ops for almost 50 years and I have managed to avoid destroying any of my vehicles..flaked a bit of paint and loosened a few tape stripes and decals but that has been it.

Tom

Flash Gordon
01-05-2011, 11:37 PM
OK, when I use the coin op, I do the complete cycle...prewash the lower panels if the truck is really dirty/salty, followed by a soap wash, rinse and spotless rinse. Then I rewash the whole truck using a rinseless wash (ONR or QEW) either at the car wash or when get home. Typically I use quality microfiber towels. (Didn't have them with today.)

My truck is a white Ram that is well maintained and frequently waxed with Meguiar's NXT 2.0 and Meguiar's Ultimate Spray Wax.

My question was an attempt to find a product that I could spray on the truck after he spotless rinse cycle that would allow me to dry the truck without marring. I know that there is residue left after the rinse cycle, but with the truck being still wet I would think that there is a product the would add lubricity to the water and allow safe drying without further washing.

For what it's worth, I've been using coin ops for almost 50 years and I have managed to avoid destroying any of my vehicles..flaked a bit of paint and loosened a few tape stripes and decals but that has been it.

Tom

You could do a quick ONR wash in the car wash bay after washing/rinsing. After the ONR bath, rinse once more then dry

tuscarora dave
01-06-2011, 12:05 AM
I'd say just take a spray bottle with ONR mixed at QD strength and mist it lightly on each panel as you dry. It is made to encapsulate the dirt with polymers so it doesn't scratch paint.

david79z28
01-06-2011, 12:19 AM
I have seen several people state that their soaps remove LSP. Has anyone seen proof of this??

CriticalDetails
01-06-2011, 12:30 AM
If you are worried about marring your vehicles paint you should consider purchasing buckets similar to these Gamma Seal (http://autogeek.net/au5gawabuco.html). I bring two of these buckets filled with warm water and DP shampoo (http://autogeek.net/128ozdpxtfof.html) to the coin op. My process consists of using the rinse cycle, then performing a two bucket wash and finishing with a final rinse cycle.

I have seen several people state that their soaps remove LSP. Has anyone seen proof of this??

I am not sure but the soap they use at my local coin op smells horrible and I would never use it on my vehicle.

TornadoRed
01-06-2011, 12:56 AM
I live a few blocks from a coin op, so I'll stop and use rinse only and then do a rinse-less wash (DP RWG) in my garage. I tried the pre-soak and wash at the coin op and noticed less beading afterward. Now I just stick with rinse only.
My coin op won't let you use buckets in the wash bay but they do have a wipe down area where I suppose you could use buckets.
There is too much dirt left behind after the coin op so if I can't do a rinse-less wash afterward, I just leave it dirty and blow the water off of the car with a shop vac so it doesn't spot.

BobbyG
01-06-2011, 07:29 AM
Winter weather is tough on all of us and sometimes we are forced to take drastic action in order to keep the damage to our vehicles to a bear minimum.

A waterless or rinseless car wash, DP Rinseless Wash & Gloss, would be a good option. Also try using a detail spray during the drying process. Once through it's a great idea to give the finish a once over with a quality spray wax like Optimum Spray Wax or Pinnacle Souveran Spray Wax.