PDA

View Full Version : What product? Inside of Wheels

wewefirex2x
01-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Problably did not explain it well in my title.

I just rotated my tires on my 2006 Chevy Silverad for the FIRST time. It has 15,000 miles on it. While I was rotating I decided to clean the insides of the wheel where I cant get to during normal washes. The rear wheels were fairly clean with only minimal effort required. The two front wheels were disgusting. I used purple power, letting soak for 5-10 minutes and finishing with a bristle brush.

What product can I use to eat the caked on muck that purple power wont break through?

Marc08EX
01-05-2011, 03:37 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about brake dust? I would suggest Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner or P21S Gel.

embolism
01-05-2011, 03:49 PM
might not be the best suggestion but I had some goo gone citrus cleaner handy and only used it on the spots where old adhesives from balancing weights was (came off really fast) then hosed it off and put on my DP wheel glaze and KSG

Setec Astronomy
01-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Sandpaper.

Ok, real answer, if they are painted like most wheels seem to be...sandpaper. If they have a real coat of paint...you can use one of the cleaners suggested, or you can use an HF wheel cleaner like Meg's Wheel Brightener, which will be spray on/hose off, just please be aware of the dangers of those products and take the appropriate precautions (I myself won't use HF cleaners).

Rsurfer
01-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Megs Wheel Brightener will get that crud off. Be careful when using acid.

cnfowler
01-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Meg's Wheel Brightener would be my recommendation. And, no, it's not spray on hose off. You're going to need to agitate it.

Colin

wewefirex2x
01-05-2011, 04:21 PM
That is exactly what I was thinking. Some type of mild acid. Its not brake dust, its crud. The wheels are factory clear coated on the outside. I am assuming the inner wheel is not because there is no clearcoat look. I will try to use the wheel brightener.

Thanks for the responses fella's

Setec Astronomy
01-05-2011, 05:01 PM
That is exactly what I was thinking. Some type of mild acid. The wheels are factory clear coated on the outside. I am assuming the inner wheel is not because there is no clearcoat look. I will try to use the wheel brightener.

WB is not "mild" acid. There are certainly non-HF acid products, and they work pretty well, but if you have the usual GM "mist" of clear on the back it gets eaten thru pretty quickly by the brake dust and then you have etched pits in the aluminum...and no wheel cleaner really helps that. I'm not kidding when I said I have sanded mine with 600 grit or something...last time I didn't even bother. Like you, I clean the backs when I'm rotating...now I'm just looking forward to having the wheels repainted with a healthy layer of paint in the barrels...

weavers
01-05-2011, 05:56 PM
sand or try clay. I would just let it soak with purple power and use a stiff bristle brush. be sure to wear gloves. make sure you put some wax down once its all cleaned up.

Rsurfer
01-05-2011, 06:43 PM
[QUOTE=Setec Astronomy;403338]WB is not "mild" acid.

It can be if diluted.:xyxthumbs:

Setec Astronomy
01-05-2011, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE=Setec Astronomy;403338]WB is not "mild" acid.

It can be if diluted.:xyxthumbs:

IIRC WB is one of those products that actually becomes more active when it's diluted. HF is nothing to fool around with. As I have stated on other forums, industrially HF requires specific neutralization products (calcium gluconate, etc.) in order it to render it harmless (unlike other acids for which any base will do).

ScottB
01-05-2011, 06:48 PM
Use Sonax and a Daytona Wheel Brush. Next time you remove wheels coat with Klasse AIO and/or Optiseal.

Rsurfer
01-05-2011, 06:51 PM
[quote=Rsurfer;403371]

IIRC WB is one of those products that actually becomes more active when it's diluted. HF is nothing to fool around with. As I have stated on other forums, industrially HF requires specific neutralization products (calcium gluconate, etc.) in order it to render it harmless (unlike other acids for which any base will do).It may become more active (dunno), but it will become more mild.

Setec Astronomy
01-05-2011, 06:58 PM
[quote=Setec Astronomy;403376]It may become more active (dunno), but it will become more mild.

You do what you want...if you read what the Merck Index says about HF it will curl your hair (as well as various other parts of your anatomy).