PDA

View Full Version : Megs Ultimate Compound

Pages : [1] 2

SeaJay's
01-03-2011, 09:02 AM
I had the chance to try out Megs UC this weekend. I decided to polish my mothers 02 Solara (pics will be on another thread once I finish). I started on the hood using M105 then M205. Well I ended up running out of M105, so went to Pep Boys yesterday in hopes of finding some more. They didn't have anything except the Megs UC, so figured I'd give it a shot since I've read some good reviews on it.

First thing I noticed about it is that it doesn't dust! At least it's very limited dusting compared to M105. I don't think the cut is as great as M105 (IMO), but I really liked it especially for the non-dusting. Makes cleaning up after much easier. It also has a much longer working time than M105. I was able to make 9 section passes with no problems (I was testing to see how long I could work the product). After the 9 section passes it does start to dry up a little and you get some dusting. But not bad at all considering with M105 I usually get 5 or 6 section passes out of it and it dusts really bad. FYI I was working in my garage with a space heater going, so the temperature in the garage was roughly 60-65 degrees.

Overall, I'd say it's great product especially for the price. I don't have a ton of experience polishing, but I'd say that this product is definitely going to be added to my arsenal.

Thanks for reading!

Finemess
01-03-2011, 09:19 AM
I love UC for under door handle fingernail marks. I used it on the wifes car this weekend for some paint transfer. worked super.

Shawn T.
01-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Megs UC is my go to product for deeper swirls and the like. It does have a nice working time.

Mike Phillips
01-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Meguiar's introduced the SMAT with M86 and now this year two new SMAT products will be introduced with the Microfiber DA Correction System.

Interesting abrasive technology.... here's a couple of articles on this topic...

The SMAT Pack - Everything you ever wanted to know about Meguiar's SMAT products... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23561-smat-pack-everything-you-ever-wanted-know-about-meguiar-s-smat-products.html)

The Aggressiveness Order of SMAT Products - This might surprise you! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23583-aggressiveness-order-smat-products-might-surprise-you.html)

:)

Mister B
01-03-2011, 09:30 AM
I agree, Ultimate Compound is a really nice product. I'm not sure a lot of people realize just how good it actually is.

About a year and a half ago my brother in law was working on his Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V Turbo project car and had scuffed the entire car with the anticipation of painting the entire car black. After scuffing up the entire car other things came up and he eventually changed his mind and no longer wanted to paint the car anymore, so I polished out the entire car for him using my old G100 polisher and Ultimate Compound.

Here are a few pics to show just how good of a product Ultimate Compound really is.

Trunk Scuffed up.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/826/700_IMG_0496.JPG

Taped off for 50/50 comparison

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/826/700_IMG_0497.JPG

Bottom polished with Ultimate compound and tape removed

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/826/700_IMG_0498.JPG

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/826/700_IMG_0499.JPG

Another angle for comparicon.

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/826/700_IMG_0500.JPG

It may not have the same cut that M105 has, but Ultimate Compound is a more user friendly product and offers some really great correction ability, especially for a consumer product.

James K
01-03-2011, 09:52 AM
I would agree with our findings. I used it a week ago and was very happy with the working time and lack of dust. It does not cut like the m105 but it does cut well.

weavers
01-03-2011, 11:07 AM
I first started with ultimate compound, then tried m105. So many people on here recommended it. I used the Kevin brown method and got great results. I've since used up a 32oz bottle, say a dozen 2-3stage paint correction. I've gone back to using UC. I can barely tell the difference in cut. I love the usability of UC and its half the price per ounce from pepboys/walmart compared to autogeek with shipping.

I bought some surfbuff pads and will try those with UC. with Lake country purple wool and m105 and UC there is barely any detectable difference. The Megs website says UC is just one step below m105.

BobbyG
01-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Hey Jason,

I have to say I agree with you,

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound seems a bit more user friendly that Meguiar's M105. Whether I should be doing this or not I find a squirt or two of baby oil really tames this product down to where I find it more forgiving.

You're right, Meguiar's Ultimate Compound almost fits somewhere right in the middle between Meguiar's M105 and Meguiar's M205 as far as aggressiveness, something I'm certain purposely planned by Meguiar's.

James K
01-03-2011, 11:32 AM
I have heard of people using a half and half of uc and m105. Anyone try this?

Flash Gordon
01-03-2011, 12:11 PM
UC is the best OTC product on the market. While I won't be replacing 105 with it, it definatly has its time and place :buffing:

I hear Megs has lauched a deal with Advance Auto Parts to carry more of the profesional line. Should be seeing this stuff on the shelves soon :hungry:

Flash Gordon
01-03-2011, 12:16 PM
I have heard of people using a half and half of uc and m105. Anyone try this?

No, but Dana/ASPHALT ROCKET mixes his 105 with Jack Daniels :cheers:

mcpp66
01-03-2011, 12:17 PM
It's certainly my go-to product! I even have other polishes that I'm probably never going to use because I love UC that much.

Mister B
01-03-2011, 12:17 PM
I hear Megs has lauched a deal with Advance Auto Parts to carry more of the profesional line. Should be seeing this stuff on the shelves soon :hungry:

Yep. My local Advance has started stocking some products from Meguiar's Mirror Glaze line. :xyxthumbs:

Kurt_s
01-03-2011, 12:18 PM
I originally got a bottle of UC because I couldn't get some stuborn water spots out of an Audi's hood and my order of M105 hadn't arrived.

While M105 has a little more cut, UC is more friendly to use if the correction is not too severe. Working time and less dusting are the two major advantages of UC over M105. UC might also finish just a little bit better, although I still use a polish and/or finish polish with both.

I have not tried all compounds and polishes out there but I plan to use either M105 for more severe correction and UC for anything that a TSR or Polish can't quite handle until I find something better.

Flash Gordon
01-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Yep. My local Advance has started stocking some products from Meguiar's Mirror Glaze line. :xyxthumbs:

ALREADY????? Man, I gotta get down to Advance.....See yah :bolt: