PDA

View Full Version : I found a new 5gal bucket source

WJave
01-02-2011, 12:05 PM
I do service work. One day while talking to a complex maintenance guy I noticed he had several clean 5gal buckets with lids. I asked him where he got them and said he got them from the Deli located in the complex and if I wanted he would get me some. Well you know I said heck yes. You can never have too many good clean buckets. When he brought me the first two I about died. They smelled GREAT! Turns out the Deli gets their Kosher Dill Pickles in 5 gal pails. I hate to wash them out cause I love the smell! I have a couple now and will pick up a couple more when I go there this week. I'm thinking of keeping one uncleaned just to enjoy the smell! It’s nice to have a good supply of clean buckets to use.

FUNX650
01-02-2011, 12:50 PM
I do service work. One day while talking to a complex maintenance guy I noticed he had several clean 5gal buckets with lids. I asked him where he got them and said he got them from the Deli located in the complex and if I wanted he would get me some. Well you know I said heck yes. You can never have too many good clean buckets. When he brought me the first two I about died. They smelled GREAT! Turns out the Deli gets their Kosher Dill Pickles in 5 gal pails. I hate to wash them out cause I love the smell! I have a couple now and will pick up a couple more when I go there this week. I'm thinking of keeping one uncleaned just to enjoy the smell! It’s nice to have a good supply of clean buckets to use.

Free 5 gal buckets--good deal. Hey, just a thought, ask him to bring you a bucket that has the dill pickle juice left in it. There are myriad uses for distilled vinegar---Auto&Home:cleans windows/glass; cleans up chrome/stainlees/rust; carpet cleaner/odor remover/chewing gum remover; and it works as a de-icer on your auto's glass. It's also good for your skin and other personal uses. Just don't drink it all up before you try some of these usages. LOL:xyxthumbs:

BobbyG
01-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Pristine 5 gallon buckets always find a place around the home or shop so I'm sure you'll find a good used for them. Give them a good cleaning, maybe use some all purpose cleaner, so the vinegar doesn't any of your washing solutions...

Nice score....:props:

Rsurfer
01-02-2011, 01:15 PM
If your going to use a grit guard be sure the bottom of the bucket measures 10.5" or the GG won't fit. Most 5 gal. buckets are under 10.5".:props:

TLMitchell
01-02-2011, 02:10 PM
I've got no idea why anyone pays for buckets unless they feel a vendor's name on the side is worth the price. Wally World or any grocery store with a bakery... or bakeries themselves, get glaze and other supplies in 5 gal buckets and toss 'em by the ton. Drywallers and paint stores get drywall mud in 50 lb buckets, about 4 gallons, which I prefer to the 5 gal. ones. Thus far I've yet to find any that a grit guard doesn't fit. YMMV.

TL

WJave
01-02-2011, 04:39 PM
The grit guard fits these buckets fine. I do wash them out after I get done sniffing the pickel smells....:hungry:

Flash Gordon
01-02-2011, 04:41 PM
The grit guard fits these buckets fine. I do wash them out after I get done sniffing the pickel smells....:hungry:

I've been using pickle buckets from my neighborhood deli as well. Your a smart young man :props:

A.P.A.D.
01-02-2011, 07:53 PM
i work at chickfila and we go through pickle buckets at least 4 a week. i need to grab 2 and bring them home seeing i have the grit guards on the way =)

Finemess
01-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Food places are a great source. I was working in a bakery a couple weeks ago and got a 4 gallon bucket that the GG fits with a snap on top and super heavy duty handle for a $1.00.

Boozman
01-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Great idea Thanks

DetailedByPrecision
01-02-2011, 08:12 PM
i got some from my freinds mom who works at Hilton hotel. grit guard fits like a charm

feslope
01-02-2011, 10:24 PM
I used to work in a food processing plant, during busy periods we would wind up with 300 or more empty 5 gal buckets a week and lesser amounts of 1-4 gallon sizes. We were always glad when people came in wanting them. They were tough to dispose of and our suppliers did not want them back because they had no way to clean and sterilize them. The ones that were really hard to get rid of were the 55 gallon plastic relish barrels which are now merchandized as rain collection barrels for 69-99 dollars apiece.

Old Tiger
01-02-2011, 11:17 PM
You can get Gamma Seals on Amazon for a very good price if you want to go whole hawg!