PDA

View Full Version : A few more questions.

Excessive Detail
12-13-2006, 04:02 PM
Hey guyz, haven't been on AG to much over the past few weeks, I'm spending the holidays at the rents house and they have dial up and it makes going on this forum hell, anyway I'l try to keep up with everything on the days I go to work. I have a few questions for you guyz, kinda saved them up for a while. I just recently repolished my car to get some bad marring out, not to many swirls, just marring from using the wrong combo a while back, I had been having problems with getting them out and it seemed every combo I tried either didn't do anything or put more marring in it. Someone suggested xmt 2 and orange, which I hadn't tried, so I went to do it and I had no xmt 2 left, so I used menzerna IP with the orange edge pad, worked like magic, quick and clean, this is were my question comes in, I wnated to give it a final polish with a white pad and ssr1, didn't really need it. amazingly the menzerna finished perfect, but when I hit it with the final polish it started to show marring, which I figured shouldn't happen with that light of a combo, so needless to say I didn't finish with that. What do you think was casuing it to do that, to fast to slow. Also I have a few sheepskins that I only used once, can I use them dry as a duster on the paint before qding, like a those california duster. ANd finally what do you guyz think about giving my car a quick polish every week to maintain a swirl free finish, thats if I have the time, could it hurt anything? Thanks guyz.

AG ROCKS!:awesome:

abrcrombe
12-13-2006, 04:06 PM
Well I don't know if the menzerna has oils/fillers in it, but if they do it could just hide the imperfections and when you used ssr1 on it, it polished away the fillers. Also, did you let the SSR1 break down properly? As for the sheepskins as a caliduster... I don't know.. I would say no because the more you touch the car the more likely you are to induce swirling. And a polish every week, I will definitely say no. You only have so much clear coat, and once that is gone.... bad news. General rule of thumb is if you wash properly you shouldn't need to polish more than 1 to 2 times a year.

Excessive Detail
12-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Oh yeah, Klasse sg and water makes a great qd/wax booster, used it after I waxed my car, which I used a pretty nice combo of collinite super double coat, for protection and shine, and put some megs 16 on top for a little more shine. It looks great, nice glow to it, although the megs did take some of the smoothness away that the collinite seems to have, still looks good, and I have to say other than Souveran, collinite dc has to be the best nuba I have ever used. Perfect shine rivaling many other good nubas and for me it has prevented watermarks, very amazing, i reallly think this stuff could last a year. Also, I finally found the answer to my tire dressing question, got the hook up with a guy who sell detailing supplies, Ardex is the brand, I got 1 gal of dressing for 12.00, very good, shine is pretty wet and dries easily and sticks. Smells cool too. Sorry AG that the only thing I'm buying from him, I promise.

supercharged
12-13-2006, 07:10 PM
Well I don't know if the menzerna has oils/fillers in it, but if they do it could just hide the imperfections and when you used ssr1 on it, it polished away the fillers. Also, did you let the SSR1 break down properly? As for the sheepskins as a caliduster... I don't know.. I would say no because the more you touch the car the more likely you are to induce swirling. And a polish every week, I will definitely say no. You only have so much clear coat, and once that is gone.... bad news. properly youGeneral rule of thumb is if you wash shouldn't need to polish more than 1 to 2 times a year.
:iagree: unless you are washing with an old rag.
And speaking of Menzerna polishes, you should have finished with Final Polish II. As Killrwheels mentioned before - it is one of the best polishes in the world.

ScottB
12-13-2006, 07:25 PM
Menzerna is known for some of the best diminishing abrasives in the business, thus your polishing essentially moved from light polish to final polish all in one step. Going back to a more abrasive polish at that point would likely add a less than stellar appearance. I would have used the fpII again with a finishing pad to jewel it up a notch only if needed.

Excessive Detail
12-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Well I don't know if the menzerna has oils/fillers in it, but if they do it could just hide the imperfections and when you used ssr1 on it, it polished away the fillers. Also, did you let the SSR1 break down properly? As for the sheepskins as a caliduster... I don't know.. I would say no because the more you touch the car the more likely you are to induce swirling. And a polish every week, I will definitely say no. You only have so much clear coat, and once that is gone.... bad news. General rule of thumb is if you wash properly you shouldn't need to polish more than 1 to 2 times a year.

Thanks for the reply, do you do your final polishing in the same way your do the initial polish, meaning speed, time, and pressure and in regards to removing clear, I thought a da hardly takes any clear away, only dulling the edges, which I figured barely does anything to the clear unlike a high speed.

Excessive Detail
12-13-2006, 09:19 PM
Menzerna is known for some of the best diminishing abrasives in the business, thus your polishing essentially moved from light polish to final polish all in one step. Going back to a more abrasive polish at that point would likely add a less than stellar appearance. I would have used the fpII again with a finishing pad to jewel it up a notch only if needed.

I have fpII, but i figured ssr1 was just as light since that what most people use, but like you said the IP finished without any extra polishing, I even took you advice and washed after I polished to clean off the dust and make sure there were no fillers, and there was maybe like maybe a tiny, hard to see spots were there were some filling, other than that it was perfect, I just wish it didn't dusk as much.