PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a PC7424

VNT
12-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Hi

First post here. Have read a little about the PC 7424's and took the plunge.

I ordered the version with 25ft cord, the 6"Edge pads(kit for 99$) and some Poor Boy Swirl Remover 1,2, 2.5.

Actually ordered 2 PC's, Pad kits etc, 1 for me and 1 for Xmas present for my brother.

Anyhow I am looking to reduce/remove swirls in the paint on some of my cars and reduce the amount of time I spend detailing them. I have 3 newer cars and 2 others I just painted plus 2 more on deck to restore.

I have never used one of these but guess I can learn over the winter.

Are there any good write ups on using the PC with the Edge pads? Interested in what pads people use with what products. I have a Black PT GT cruiser, and two other black cars painted with Spies base/Clear, a 89 Shadow ES and 86 Daytona Shelby. Also have a 00 Durango and 02 Grand Cherokee.

The paint on the 86 is mint since I just finished it. The others are in very good condition but the PT and Shadow are my winter beaters and see the lousy Maine winters. I have a 2 car heated garage to play in.

Anyhow I generally wash the cars often, and once a year strip with Dawn, clay, 2 coats Zaino to seal, and then use Meguirs gold wax on top. Then rewax as needed throughout year.

Look forward to reading and seeing what others like.

Regards

Mike

ScottB
12-13-2006, 02:50 PM
First ... get rid of the Dawn , its not needed and was only suggested by Sal to remove oils. Since we are going to polish, we dont need it, and its highly alkaline and can be damaging rubber surrounds.

As with any pad and polish, you want to start with the least aggressive and move deeper as needed. That said, if you have major swirls, then dont start with a Finishing Polish and Finishing Pad first. Start around the middle :

Watch a couple of great video's which help with swirl removal success when using a PC...

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/video/

ryandamartini
12-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Hi

First post here. Have read a little about the PC 7424's and took the plunge.

I ordered the version with 25ft cord, the 6"Edge pads(kit for 99$) and some Poor Boy Swirl Remover 1,2, 2.5.

Actually ordered 2 PC's, Pad kits etc, 1 for me and 1 for Xmas present for my brother.

Anyhow I am looking to reduce/remove swirls in the paint on some of my cars and reduce the amount of time I spend detailing them. I have 3 newer cars and 2 others I just painted plus 2 more on deck to restore.

I have never used one of these but guess I can learn over the winter.

Are there any good write ups on using the PC with the Edge pads? Interested in what pads people use with what products. I have a Black PT GT cruiser, and two other black cars painted with Spies base/Clear, a 89 Shadow ES and 86 Daytona Shelby. Also have a 00 Durango and 02 Grand Cherokee.

The paint on the 86 is mint since I just finished it. The others are in very good condition but the PT and Shadow are my winter beaters and see the lousy Maine winters. I have a 2 car heated garage to play in.

Anyhow I generally wash the cars often, and once a year strip with Dawn, clay, 2 coats Zaino to seal, and then use Meguirs gold wax on top. Then rewax as needed throughout year.

Look forward to reading and seeing what others like.

Regards

Mike

1) Get rid of Dawn, it stays in the kitchen from now on. For now on, use mild polishing or claying to take off a wax and/or sealant.

2) For a decent, cheap lubricant, check out DP 4 in 1. You can use it as a waterless wash, pad lubricator, and make gallons of clay lube at a time for use in a spray bottle.

3) As far as sealants, there are cheaper alternatives to Zaino which produce just as good if not better results without all the layering processes people go through. My favorite sealants are Duragloss 105 topped with Duragloss Aquawax, or WOlfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant [think of it as a super carnauba sealant but it really isnt ].

4) Yes, there are a few videos out there on using the Porter Cable

AG Information: http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polisher.html

Great info on DA polishing, just substitute the edge pad colors in for the needed cuts.

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/video/
Great site.

Videos showing the use of my favorite polishes, the XMT series. If you havent looked into or bought polishes for your new toy, take a serious look at these.

http://www.autogeek.net/xmt.html