PDA

View Full Version : Best products for Single Stage paint?

Pages : [1] 2 3

J1nx93
12-30-2010, 04:03 PM
Alright, I've searched and found a lot great products that are mostly for CLEAR COATS but I'm driving an old school truck with single stage paint. So, I need a response for what products I should use for a complete detail on SS paint. I already have some products so please tell me if this looks good for a

ONE TIME DETAIL:

Wash with Dawn (to strip previous waxes and such)
Dry with Cobra Guzzler HD
Clay with XMT Clay Lube and Poorboy's World Clay Bar
XMT Intermediate Swirl Remover 3.0
Menzerna PO85RD Finishing Polish
DP Poli-Coat Paint Sealant
Poorboy's World Liquid Natty's Blue

Do I need to use a glaze? My paint is maroon and white and I wouldn't call it "dry." The paint has been cared for pretty well. I considered using Meg's #7, but I'm wanting something I can apply by a DA. I've heard that the DP Poli-Coat "cleans" the paint so wouldn't it just remove the glaze? I considered a glaze and a paint cleaner, but I don't think I need them. Mike, since you're the pro, what's your opinion? I already have the sealant and clay and swirl remover so I want to use them. I've paid a lot of money already and want to keep purchases to a minimum now.

Bottom line, what kind of products work best on SS paint?

Thanks,

Tom

Here's a picture for reference of paint:

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy180/J1nx93/Truck/IMG_0242.jpg

Mike Phillips
12-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Do I need to use a glaze? My paint is maroon and white and I wouldn't call it "dry." The paint has been cared for pretty well. I considered using Meg's #7, but I'm wanting something I can apply by a DA.

#7 can be applied with a D.A. but since you have the Menzerna PO85RD then this should also work to really bring out the full richness of color.

Nice truck.

:xyxthumbs:

J1nx93
12-30-2010, 05:41 PM
#7 can be applied with a D.A. but since you have the Menzerna PO85RD then this should also work to really bring out the full richness of color.

Nice truck.

:xyxthumbs:
Thank ya! I read your article of how to restore SS paints and I think what I'll do is use some #7, XMT 3.0, Menzerna PO85RD, then my sealants and waxes. What kind of pad should I use for each of the products?

J1nx93
12-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Oh, and since #7 fills "some" and I'll be removing swirls afterwards with swirl remover, should I use some sort of paint cleaner after the glaze?

J1nx93
12-31-2010, 10:46 PM
Anybody?

buddhadog
12-31-2010, 11:05 PM
Oh, and since #7 fills "some" and I'll be removing swirls afterwards with swirl remover, should I use some sort of paint cleaner after the glaze?

I dont do too many single stage paints but I would say if they are cared for well you probably dont need the glaze . The paint cleaner over a glaze will take it off most likely.

Crazy Amos
12-31-2010, 11:15 PM
What is your pad selection?

kronos
12-31-2010, 11:19 PM
I've only worked on one car with a single stage paint. A 1970's super beetle. I used PB's PwS and, IMO, it looked beautiful. From gray to deep deep black. Definitely do a test spot.

Crazy Amos
If you can reply quick that would be best-I am about to go back out of service for the rest of the weekend and won't have acces to the internet. Its been driving me nuts the past couple days.

J1nx93
Whichever you think's best.

sohail99
12-31-2010, 11:27 PM

Glaze is the second last step!

After you've applied and removed the glaze, you go to LSP.

It should be like XMT swirl remover > PO85RD > #7 show car glaze > LSP

As far as I've heard, DP poli-coat's inbuilt bonding agents aren't that aggressive and shouldn't take the glaze off!

J1nx93
12-31-2010, 11:30 PM
I was reading on Mike's thread to use glaze first to rejuvenate the paint and not rub off dead dry paint

sohail99
01-01-2011, 12:03 AM
From the pics, the paint doesn't look dead dry!

+ I'm sure that dead dry paint will be of vehicles that are left to fend for themselves! We might be talking about years of UV, rain, dirt, mud abuse to the paintwork.

But as you said that you've taken care of the paint, I doubt that its in a bad condition.

Anyways, did you check for swirls and DOI(Distinction Of Image) on the panels you're gonna work on?

As always, Mike should be able to clear the doubt on this!

sohail99
01-01-2011, 12:44 AM
Or maybe, you can try it as Mike posted.

Glaze the paintwork and wait for 12 hrs and then remove, re-glaze if required and wait another 12 hrs.

After that, use XMT swirl remover and PO85rd(if you feel the need)

I had to go through a lot of experimentation to find whats right for my paint! Experimentation is key!

J1nx93
01-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Or maybe, you can try it as Mike posted.

Glaze the paintwork and wait for 12 hrs and then remove, re-glaze if required and wait another 12 hrs.

After that, use XMT swirl remover and PO85rd(if you feel the need)

I had to go through a lot of experimentation to find whats right for my paint! Experimentation is key!
But after glazing, since it fills some wouldn't I need to use paint cleaner to find the true condition of the paint, because glaze hides it?