PDA

View Full Version : Noob that needs some help!

Pages : [1] 2

6LS2
12-12-2006, 11:34 PM
Hey guys.
I just got my order today:

The ShMITT Multi-purpose Foam Mitts: All White Wash ShMITT

Cobra Microfiber Applicator Pads

Learn About Microfiber: Cobra Microfiber Detailing Cloth

Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover

This is all for my dads car. Im going to wash it on the weekend, then I want to remove some swirls the car has BY HAND.

A question with doing that, should the Applicator Pad be wet when I put the M#9 on it? What kind of pressure should I be applying to remove medium swirls? How do I know when I'm ready to wipe it off with the Microfiber cloth? Thanks.

supercharged
12-13-2006, 03:24 AM
Hey guys.

This is all for my dads car. Im going to wash it on the weekend, then I want to remove some swirls the car has BY HAND.

A question with doing that, should the Applicator Pad be wet when I put the M#9 on it? What kind of pressure should I be applying to remove medium swirls? How do I know when I'm ready to wipe it off with the Microfiber cloth? Thanks.

Good luck on removing swirls by hand. If it's only a few, you are fine, if it's a lot - you will be very tired.
You should apply about 10-15 pounds of pressure. #9 (just like Scratch X, which is a little more aggressive) should turn clear. That's when diminishing abrassives are all broken down and it's time to remove it.

Are you planning to wax or seal the surface?

6LS2
12-13-2006, 05:53 AM
Hey. I will be using Autoglym Super Resin Polish as that contains a sealent. I'm very very fussy with my dads car for some reason, so I don't care if it takes me 10 hours to get the swirls out hehe. Thanks for your help supercharged, always seem to help me when I need it. :cheers:

supercharged
12-13-2006, 06:32 AM
Hey. I will be using Autoglym Super Resin Polish as that contains a sealent. I'm very very fussy with my dads car for some reason, so I don't care if it takes me 10 hours to get the swirls out hehe. Thanks for your help supercharged, always seem to help me when I need it. :cheers:
You are welcome. I never used any AutoGlym products, so I have no idea how they work.

ryandamartini
12-13-2006, 09:03 AM
Hey guys.

Sounds good, but if you are doing a hand job, I recommend Meguiars ScratchX. The product was made for hand application and can be used with a cheep orbital buffer with nice results. With a foam applicator pad, if you apply pressure on the swirled areas, itll.. flatten puttingyour hands down on the finish, a possible cause for some bad scratches!

Look into the Wolfgang polishin pal and scsratchX.

However both of theee products, scratch X and #9 will not give you fantastic results that last. Start saving for a Porter Cable.

-Ryan

ltoman
12-13-2006, 12:18 PM
Hey guys.

Oh my, I don't envy your task. It is difficult enough to do with a pc. By hand? You may be very disappointed, in addition to sore and tired... You might want to rethink this. Trust me - lack of results is VERY disappointing.
Good luck with whatever you decide. Why don't you post us pictures of what you are going to work on?
Lauren

ltoman
12-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Sounds good, but if you are doing a hand job, I recommend Meguiars ScratchX. The product was made for hand application and can be used with a cheep orbital buffer with nice results. With a foam applicator pad, if you apply pressure on the swirled areas, itll.. flatten puttingyour hands down on the finish, a possible cause for some bad scratches!

Look into the Wolfgang polishin pal and scsratchX.

However both of theee products, scratch X and #9 will not give you fantastic results that last. Start saving for a Porter Cable.

-Ryan

Ryan,
ScratchX? I do not care fot that, as it does not seem to work on ANY of our cars, Honda to Saturn to Plymouth - forget Vette. Never worked for me on any car. Now GS-27, that did - but not on a hard clear coat. But that is not an AG product, and I no longer need to buy it anyway.... but...
There has to be something better for him to use!! No? Have you had luck with ScratchX, Ryan? I know you are very good.
?
Lauren :)

Russecu
12-13-2006, 12:49 PM
Start saving for a Porter Cable. -Ryan
:iagree: You may be saving $ by doing it by hand but with a PC you will be saving alot more time and receiving the results you are looking for. I used to do everything by hand until I started reading on this forum and I got my PC and wonder how in the heck I made it without it.

ryandamartini
12-13-2006, 03:49 PM
Ryan,
ScratchX? I do not care fot that, as it does not seem to work on ANY of our cars, Honda to Saturn to Plymouth - forget Vette. Never worked for me on any car. Now GS-27, that did - but not on a hard clear coat. But that is not an AG product, and I no longer need to buy it anyway.... but...
There has to be something better for him to use!! No? Have you had luck with ScratchX, Ryan? I know you are very good.
?
Lauren :)
The reason why I recommended a cheep orbital because it is EXTREMELY intensive to use. Not for the faint of heart, it will however do the job wwith the time put in.

I use it near door handles / on door handles and have good results with it.

abrcrombe
12-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Definitely save up for a PC. Look around and see if any are for sale... a worthy investment. Your arms and shoulders will thank me. :)

6LS2
12-14-2006, 09:08 AM
When I purchased M#9 I didnt know about ScratchX :(:( I used M#9 on my dads car and there are still swirls. :(:( I wish I had known about SratchX.. Is there anyway AG will give a nice 14 year old boy a free tryout of ScratchX?:(

supercharged
12-14-2006, 10:16 AM
When I purchased M#9 I didnt know about ScratchX :(:( I used M#9 on my dads car and there are still swirls. :(:( I wish I had known about SratchX.. Is there anyway AG will give a nice 14 year old boy a free tryout of ScratchX?:(
#9 doesn't cost that much, you can use it for lighter swirls.
But yes, Scratch X is a little more aggressive.

6LS2
12-14-2006, 06:29 PM
#9 doesn't cost that much, you can use it for lighter swirls.
But yes, Scratch X is a little more aggressive.

How should I be applying the M#9? How should I work it in?

supercharged
12-14-2006, 07:03 PM
How should I be applying the M#9? How should I work it in?
Just like Scratch X. Squeeze some out on a foam applicatior pad. Then pick an area (about 1 square foot) and work it in until it turns clear. Then wipe it off with a microfiber towel. You might need to do 2-3 applications for decent results.

ltoman
12-15-2006, 12:32 AM

14 and you are cleaning your dad's car like that? YOU ROCK!!! I will adopt you!!
I would send you ScratchX if I had any, but I tossed it years ago after I found I did not like it, and replaced with GS-27, which does not work on a corvette anyhow.
Good luck!! Your dad is lucky!:righton: