PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a newb

HeavyMetal
12-30-2010, 08:20 AM
Like I posted in the Intro forum, I got my wife a Lexus ES350, black on black, for Xmas (I assure you that she deserves it for putting up with me for 28 years) and need something better than Meguire's, Mother's, ect. After reading many, many threads and the How To's I think I found what I need for the exterior - the Forum Fav Kit. I'm also figuring on getting the Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay Kit, or would the Ultima Paint Prep Plus work better or just as well?

How warm does it need to be to use the Klasse in the kit? I'm in central PA and the best we can hope for is maybe a day or two in the upper 40s / low 50 until March. Should I just use some of the Meguiar's paste I have until then?

For the leather and interior I was thinking about the Leatherique Kit and Ultima Interior Guard. Can you use the Leatherique and then seal the leather with the Ultima?

Appreciate your help on this....

BobbyG
12-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Now that's a nice Christmas present and now it deserves only the best in detailing equipment and supplies!

Central Pennsylvania's weather is much like that of Mass. This time of year it's very difficult and almost impossible to perform any quality detailing and keeping a car clean is a full time job.

Most product can be applied in the 40's and 50's but they have to sit allot longer to haze. That said, I generally use a wipe on wipe off product or a quality spray wax like Optimum or Pinnacle. Applying Klasse All-In-One is also a good choice but takes a little longer with some sort of a heated garage.

Bunky
12-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Welcome. There is nothing like a new ride to inspire the desire for serious detailing.

BTW, I would not toss out all your Mothers and Meguiars. They make some good products. A lot is just learning how to use the products correctly.

HeavyMetal
12-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Applying Klasse All-In-One is also a good choice but takes a little longer with some sort of a heated garage.

Thanks Bobby. I had a feeling I needed a nice day in the 60s. Looks like I'll just clean and wax as best I can until the spring.

Bunky --- Thanks, I'm not gonna toss, I'll use it up on my RAV4.

dougaross
12-30-2010, 09:19 AM
3m Performance Finish (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-performance-finish.html) is a sealant that is wipe on, immediately wipe off with several months of protection

BobbyG
12-30-2010, 12:32 PM
BTW, I would not toss out all your Mothers and Meguiars. They make some good products. A lot is just learning how to use the products correctly.

Al makes a very good point!

Both Meguiar's and Mothers make some nice products and unless they've gone bad they still offer some finish protection.

I rarely throw any products away. If I do by some chance want to get rid of some I give them away to a neighbor or relative and I know they'll put them to good use...:props: