PDA

View Full Version : Online Classes to start?

ccawdc
12-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Hi, this is my first post here, I've been reading and taking tips from here for the past few months. Its a great forum to be on. I just have a question to all the pro-detailers out there.

I've been running a car wash for the past few months and i would like to start doing the detailing aspect. (i have been doing interior details only up till now, would like to start on exterior) Now my question is, is it worth paying say $1000 to get trained at an online detailing school, or should i pass and just spend it on equipment?

Thanks in advance guys.

PS. i can't go to schools or seminars as there are none in my area, and i work 7 days a week.

hyu
12-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Where are you located? What I've learned with online classes vs classes on site is that they lack a hands-on approach. It might be cheaper/more cost effective to fly out here for a weekend and take Mikes detailing classes

Flash Gordon
12-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Autogeekonline (and others detailing forums) are online training :props:

Got a question? Post it up Im the MAN

SeaJay's
12-29-2010, 07:30 PM
I've considered taking an online course, but with all of the info on the different forums you really will find the answers to all your questions.

Plus I tend to learn more by being hands on. I can watch all the videos in the world but if I don't actually do it I won't learn it. But that's how I am. I'd say save your money and invest in some equipment. Or take that money and fly down to AG and take a class with Mike!

VR8
12-29-2010, 10:38 PM
I agree, there is plenty of FREE info online. If you're going to pay for training (which is worthwhile), take a class in person.

JonMiles
12-30-2010, 12:09 AM
If you pay airfare and supply me with a new PE14-2-150 and food, I will personally teach you to detail. :dblthumb2:

slickooz
12-30-2010, 12:22 AM
With 1k I would def fly to FL and take those classes.

There online classes for detailing wth, people actually pay for these?

Isn't there a reason for forums?

rakkvet
12-30-2010, 12:37 AM
Learning detailing online, through pictures and the written word is the equivelant of try tell the difference in quality of a pair of speakers on a tv commercial for speakers. Or a commercial about how much better the newest television looks on your own television.

You can get a lot of information prior to doing it but I think I would try and take a class. Or go and work for someone who really knows what they are doing.

I'm glad you are interested in learning.

slickooz
12-30-2010, 12:44 AM
Oh yeah it was your first post.

Welcome to AGO!

arenared
12-30-2010, 01:28 AM
Learning detailing online, through pictures and the written word is the equivelant of try tell the difference in quality of a pair of speakers on a tv commercial for speakers. Or a commercial about how much better the newest television looks on your own television.
LOL!

:iagree:

Forums are great for free, but if I was paying money, I'd want to be right there. Detailing is IMO definitely hands-on. There's a lot you can't see/touch online.

ccawdc
12-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I think i just might buy the equipment instead of taking online classes.
and try to get into a 1-2 day seminar, maybe once i get time, I'll enroll myself into
the autogeekonline one and fly down to the states. Till then, i'll just detail my exterior, friends old and busted cars exteriors and whoever else's for practice. :buffing:

SATracker
12-30-2010, 08:50 PM
My suggestion would be- read the posts and ask questions. Find Mike Phillips' posts; read, study, ask. Then find guys who seem to make sense to you; for me one of the guys who make sense is killrwheels. I've asked killrwheels questionsbefore in a PM before and got great feedback. While I don't know for sure, but I don't see how you'd get much better stuff than reading Mike's posts and other professionals. When possible, take one of Mike's seminars.

Perfections
12-30-2010, 09:13 PM
Read/watch Mike P's videos and how -to's, then practice on your own cars and friends till you perfect your technique :) start off with a d/a some pads, good polish and lsp all of which can be purchased right here :)

SATracker
12-31-2010, 12:45 AM
What I've done is copy some of these articles and put them in a notebook. When it's too cold to detail or I have a some time to kill, I pull out the notebook and re-read the articles. Hopefully I'm not breaking any laws!?!? There's some good stuff in this forum. And it's amazing how much I missed reading the article the first time.