PDA

View Full Version : Washing Microfibers in a High Effeciency Washer

Pages : [1] 2

rott3np3anut
12-27-2010, 08:12 PM
So our washer broke down and we're probably getting a new HE washer. Has anyone had problems with the special HE detergent? Any special or different things you have to do to wash them?

RTexasF
12-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Use the HE detergent and DO NOT put more than is called for. We use Charlie's Soap and it works well for all clothing and microfiber towels also. MF's washed separately of course. In short........follow the directions and use the correct detergent. If you don't you will need to run all clothing through many many rinse cycles which kills the savings offered by high efficiency washers..

Harleyguy
12-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Use the HE detergent and DO NOT put more than is called for. We use Charlie's Soap and it works well for all clothing and microfiber towels also. MF's washed separately of course. In short........follow the directions and use the correct detergent. If you don't you will need to run all clothing through many many rinse cycles which kills the savings offered by high efficiency washers..Boy do i agree when we first got our machine wife didn't know you needed to use special detergent what a mess that made lol .

rott3np3anut
12-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Boy do i agree when we first got our machine wife didn't know you needed to use special detergent what a mess that made lol .

Haha yeah, our salesman had some horror stories about people who used regular detergent.

Thanks for the advice RTexasF. I was worried the microfibers wouldn't be as clean since it uses so much less water. Technology is freaky haha.

RTexasF
12-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Boy do i agree when we first got our machine wife didn't know you needed to use special detergent what a mess that made lol .

Gotcha! Our first introduction to high efficiency washers was in Europe. In short, due to our ignorance.......ONE load of clothes took us over four hours to rinse out and that was AFTER washing them! FOLLOW DIRECTIONS! We had never seen one of those before but learned quickly after the first suds-othon which went everywhere. The floor (and the clothes) were extremely clean after that first load,I'll tell you that much.........especially the floor. Ignorant Americans, what did we know?

Perfections
12-27-2010, 09:42 PM
I've had no problems with tide he, just Make sure there's no fabric softer left over from previous wash :)

arenared
12-27-2010, 10:10 PM
No problems here. After washing with HE detergent, I follow with a MF detergent. MFs come out great.

bimmer325!
12-28-2010, 03:37 AM
I have also heard that adding a little vinegar will act as a water softener.

Finemess
12-28-2010, 07:42 AM
We use Dropps in our HE and it does a great job. I presoak the towels in APC+, seems to help.

Bunky
12-28-2010, 08:49 AM
I was worried the microfibers wouldn't be as clean since it uses so much less water. Technology is freaky haha.

I think the biggest concern is having enough water to rinse out the detergent. I always select the second rinse option with vinegar in the rinse dispenser.

Microfiber detergents are watery compared to the gelish traditional soaps like Tide He.

Mike Phillips
12-28-2010, 08:54 AM
So our washer broke down and we're probably getting a new HE washer. Has anyone had problems with the special HE detergent? Any special or different things you have to do to wash them?

When Meguiar's upgraded the classroom to a tiny room to a huge room they installed a brand new washer and dryer primarily washing microfiber towels for our classes there and I don't remember any problems switching over from a top-load washer to the new high efficiency model and we used it a LOT.

Somewhere on MOL I took some pictures of the new system... not sure what I would use for a key search word to find them though...

:)

BobbyG
12-28-2010, 09:06 AM
I think the biggest concern is having enough water to rinse out the detergent. I always select the second rinse option with vinegar in the rinse dispenser.

Microfiber detergents are watery compared to the gelish traditional soaps like Tide He.

Al, I agree with you completely!

There's a learning curve when these new washers and the balance between the water level and the liquid detergent added takes a few times before you'll get it right.

The washer I have automatically determines, probably through weight, the correct amount of water it needs to effectively wash that amount of clothes. It's my responsibility to determine just how much or little to add to any given load.

Microfiber detergents are watery and rinse out much easier. I've tried several and they all work however rinsing them is allot easier than with a conventional HE detergent.

Pristine Image
12-28-2010, 09:59 AM
We just bought new HE machines for the house we bought and I haven't had any time for detailing so I hadn't even thought of this. Glad it was mentioned otherwise I'd be pretty hestitant to put my MF in there.

So do yall add your MF Restore (or whatever MF cleaner) into the drum or into the dispenser? Do you wash first with Tide HE or just with the MF cleaner?

SATracker
12-28-2010, 10:39 AM
My wife is like a clothes washing connoisseur, use He detergent & use the longer washing cycle.

BobbyG
12-28-2010, 10:40 AM
So do yall add your MF Restore (or whatever MF cleaner) into the drum or into the dispenser? Do you wash first with Tide HE or just with the MF cleaner?

I toss the towels in the machine then add the recommended amount of Microfiber cleaner. Because it's a very thin solution it mixes right in!

And I was one of those that used to wash them in a bucket!! :doh: