PDA

View Full Version : I can't stand taping before polishing!

Pages : [1] 2

WRAPT C5Z06
12-27-2010, 06:31 PM
I still do it, but I can honestly say that I dislike it a lot. It's the ONLY part of detailing that really bothers me. Anyone else feel the same way?

BobbyG
12-27-2010, 06:41 PM
I don't really care for it and it's time consuming but I think it's a necessary evil otherwise I'll be spending additional time removing product or worse, repairing damage.

I remember when I used to do bodywork and painting. Masking off an entire car was a real pain but it was one of those things that were a must...

I feel your pain!!

WRAPT C5Z06
12-27-2010, 06:45 PM
I don't really care for it and it's time consuming but I think it's a necessary evil otherwise I'll be spending additional time removing product or worse, repairing damage.

I remember when I used to do bodywork and painting. Masking off an entire car was a real pain but it was one of those things that were a must...

I feel your pain!!
Yeah Bobby, I still do it because it's a necessity. but boy is it annoying! :eek:

IID
12-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Taping = Double edge sword.
Damn to do it,Damn if you don't!

redg35
12-27-2010, 07:23 PM
^^^ i cant stand it either.

Crazy Amos
12-27-2010, 07:38 PM
If you can get it done in just a couple strips, its not bad. It used to take me a while to rape a car but now I can pretty much curve and turn te tape pretty quickly. I hated when i had to do it in pieces. Some days i like to do it-others I don't.

Crazy Amos
12-27-2010, 07:39 PM
Ok-I definitely meant "tape a car", not "rape a car".....stupid auto correct!

fancyfootwork
12-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Taping does suck but I can't stand tires and wheels personally.

Mike Phillips
12-27-2010, 07:43 PM
The worst thing about modern cars is the...

Pebble Textured Black Plastic Trim

And any other black plastic, vinyl or rubber trim. That's just one of the reasons I like buffing out classics, like a 1970 Chevelle, etc. classics either don't have all the easy staining plastic trim or very little of it.

Chrome and stainless trim is the best... wipes off easy...

:D

Wendell Jarvis
12-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Taping = Double edge sword.
Damn to do it,Damn if you don't!

:iagree: And it sure help when you tape off from all the dust that gets into those hard to get to areas too.

Wendell Jarvis
12-27-2010, 07:51 PM
I still do it, but I can honestly say that I dislike it a lot. It's the ONLY part of detailing that really bothers me. Anyone else feel the same way?

:iagree:But its all part of it........

evojoey
12-27-2010, 09:15 PM
As a fellow weekend detailer/z06 owner I feel your pain....
Even though the majority of my details are done on Corvettes it still takes me over an hour to mask them off...The area around the halo and the roof is the hardest if someone has an efficient way of doing it please share..

PAR Detailing
12-28-2010, 12:26 AM
I actually dont mind it. For me its like how some boxers enjoy getting their hands taped up for the fight. It gets them in the zone or prepared for the fight. Thats kind of how it is for me in a way. I tape everything up and while I am doing it I am going over how I want to first attack the paint, what polish combos, and what machine to use.

Now if we want to talk about something I hate then lets talk windows...

Kurt_s
12-28-2010, 01:04 AM

I cheat and get burned, so I tape rubber and the black plastic trim, especially the pebble texture that Mike mentioned. Pretreating the trim with exterior dressings made it a bit easier to wipe off waxing mistakes.

SeaJay's
12-28-2010, 07:24 AM
I agree that taping is one of the worse parts about detailing. But I feel the need to do it! And trying to tape up the plastic trim that Mike mentioned is a pain. I have an Avalanche and trying to tape off the rear tailgate is difficult. I always have to ensure I clean all of my dressings off really well prior to applying any tape, and the tape still barely sticks.